Microsoft Admits That Windows Vista Was Not Ready for the World in January 2007


G

Guest

- But blames the world for it...By: Marius Oiaga, Technology News Editor

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micr...ady-for-the-World-in-January-2007-59681.shtml

Microsoft's latest operating system Windows Vista was launched to business
on November 30, 2006 and to the general public on January 30, 2007. After
the operating system hit the shelves, the first reactions pointed out
shortcomings in application, device and hardware compatibility. The end of
July is synonymous with six months of availability for Windows Vista, and
Microsoft acknowledged that the operating system was not ready for the world
back in January. However, the Redmond company twisted the confirmation so
that Vista wouldn't be at fault.

"Compatibility is now at critical mass with Windows Vista. You know, when we
introduced this product on January 30, like all platform introductions, we
had introduced it to a world that wasn't quite 100 percent ready for it.
There were compatibility issues that remained, there were driver issues that
remained. And I can tell you that five and a half months in, that situation
has changed, and changed materially," stated Mike Sievert, Corporate Vice
President, Windows Product Marketing during the Microsoft Worldwide Partner
Conference 2007.

Jim Allchin, former Co-President, Platform and Services Division, revealed
even as far back as 2006, that Windows Vista would be a case of updating a
brand-new operating system. Allchin emphasized the fact that the "frozen in
time distribution problem was a non-issue" in the context of Windows update
and Automatic Updates. Despite this, Vista did ship with approximately
20,000 device drivers, twice as many as Windows XP. Sievert informed on the
fact that Windows Vista is now entering its final stage of adoption, large
scale deployment across corporate environments. This because Vista is
finally ready for the world, and the world is finally ready for Vista; all
it took was six month of availability.

"And it's always the last stage. Why is that starting to happen? Because a
number of changes have happened that make that experience great for the
customers over the last couple of months. (...) Device coverage is now
nearly complete. Nearly 100 percent coverage of devices with drivers on
Windows Update. And acceptance of the logo and choice by ISBs to
differentiate using the certified for Windows Vista logo is at a strong
pace. The thing I think that makes me feel like we're in a very good
position with Windows Vista is the experience that the customers are now
having with the product," Sievert commented.

Microsoft is on the brink of releasing the first beta for Windows Vista
Service Pack 1. The service pack itself is planned for availability in
November 2007, a date unconfirmed by the Redmond Company yet. And according
to Microsoft, all the "major critical enterprise applications are now
addressed" means that the adoption rate of Vista can only go up. The
operating system currently accounts for 4.52% of the market.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

If you read the article you will see the writer uses a convenient
twist to remove the hardware and software manufacturers from blame.

Hardware manufacturers need to make drivers for their hardware if they
desire for their customers to use the hardware with an operating
system.
It is not practical for an operating system manufacturer to wait for
the manufacturers to update their drivers since many wait for the
release of the operating system to start development,
The hardware and software manufacturers had early and relevant access
to Windows Vista to begin development as long as a year before release
or possibly longer.

Or do you suggest Microsoft or any operating system manufacturer force
others to provide compatibility for their products?
If so, How?

Customers of incompatible hardware and software should contact their
manufacturers and see what their plans are.
From there you see how responsive they are to your needs.

What have the manufacturers said to you when you asked when they would
do what is necessary for you to use their products with Windows Vista?
If you have not contacted them, you are part of your own problem since
your desires are unknown to them.

This applies to any operating system, not just Microsoft products.
If what you want or need does not work, let the hardware and software
manufacturers know what you need.
 
F

Frank

theenemywithin said:
- But blames the world for it...By: Marius Oiaga, Technology News Editor

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micr...ady-for-the-World-in-January-2007-59681.shtml

Microsoft's latest operating system Windows Vista was launched to business
on November 30, 2006 and to the general public on January 30, 2007. After
the operating system hit the shelves, the first reactions pointed out
shortcomings in application, device and hardware compatibility. The end of
July is synonymous with six months of availability for Windows Vista, and
Microsoft acknowledged that the operating system was not ready for the world
back in January. However, the Redmond company twisted the confirmation so
that Vista wouldn't be at fault.

"Compatibility is now at critical mass with Windows Vista. You know, when we
introduced this product on January 30, like all platform introductions, we
had introduced it to a world that wasn't quite 100 percent ready for it.
There were compatibility issues that remained, there were driver issues that
remained. And I can tell you that five and a half months in, that situation
has changed, and changed materially," stated Mike Sievert, Corporate Vice
President, Windows Product Marketing during the Microsoft Worldwide Partner
Conference 2007.

Jim Allchin, former Co-President, Platform and Services Division, revealed
even as far back as 2006, that Windows Vista would be a case of updating a
brand-new operating system. Allchin emphasized the fact that the "frozen in
time distribution problem was a non-issue" in the context of Windows update
and Automatic Updates. Despite this, Vista did ship with approximately
20,000 device drivers, twice as many as Windows XP. Sievert informed on the
fact that Windows Vista is now entering its final stage of adoption, large
scale deployment across corporate environments. This because Vista is
finally ready for the world, and the world is finally ready for Vista; all
it took was six month of availability.

"And it's always the last stage. Why is that starting to happen? Because a
number of changes have happened that make that experience great for the
customers over the last couple of months. (...) Device coverage is now
nearly complete. Nearly 100 percent coverage of devices with drivers on
Windows Update. And acceptance of the logo and choice by ISBs to
differentiate using the certified for Windows Vista logo is at a strong
pace. The thing I think that makes me feel like we're in a very good
position with Windows Vista is the experience that the customers are now
having with the product," Sievert commented.

Microsoft is on the brink of releasing the first beta for Windows Vista
Service Pack 1. The service pack itself is planned for availability in
November 2007, a date unconfirmed by the Redmond Company yet. And according
to Microsoft, all the "major critical enterprise applications are now
addressed" means that the adoption rate of Vista can only go up. The
operating system currently accounts for 4.52% of the market.
You really like the linux lovin softpedia right?
But you couldn't read the entire article could you?
I bet you hang out a trash dot and think es can walk on water right?
I bet you still live in your moms basement right?
Frank
 
A

Andrew McLaren

Hey Jupiter

It's just a troll. There's no use replying, the person who posts these
messages is not taking part in any kind of rational discussion. Everything
you say in your reply is spot-on, and I agree with ... but (unfortunately)
it is also futile and useless.

The best thing to do with these posts and all such nut-cases is to just
ignore them. Totally. No matter how infuriating. They get bored after a
while, and go away. As long as people keep responding to them - doesn't
matter what the response: positve, negative, indifferent! - they will just
keep posting. It's oxygen to them. They are like little kids, teasing an
animal.

Just my 2 cents ...

Best regards
Andrew
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

I suspect it is the same troll that regularly changes names in feeble
attempt to hide.
That troll favored names related to James Kirk of the original Star
Trek.
This OP has a similar style and is now using names or partial names
of episodes from the original series.
There are possibilities this one is not a troll but sure looks like
the other more and more.
Constantly changing names is a big clue of real motives.
 
A

Alias

Andrew said:
Hey Jupiter

It's just a troll. There's no use replying, the person who posts these
messages is not taking part in any kind of rational discussion. Everything
you say in your reply is spot-on, and I agree with ... but (unfortunately)
it is also futile and useless.

The best thing to do with these posts and all such nut-cases is to just
ignore them. Totally. No matter how infuriating. They get bored after a
while, and go away. As long as people keep responding to them - doesn't
matter what the response: positve, negative, indifferent! - they will just
keep posting. It's oxygen to them. They are like little kids, teasing an
animal.

Just my 2 cents ...

Best regards
Andrew

Vista has less than 5% of the market. Vista's market will grow; there is
no doubt. Vista's Window's Mail has these groups configured by default
and you think there won't be a steady stream of Vista newbies coming here?

LOL! Welcome to the new MS Usenet!

Alias
 
A

Alias

Mrs. Happy said:
Boy, you are WRONG. Linux/Ubuntu has 3% of the market. That leaves 97%
for Windows.

Ahem, read for content if it's at all possible. I wrote, and I quote,
VISTA has less than 5% of the market, not WINDOWS. I also said Vista
will grow as people rush out and buy the new lap tops and desk tops that
are "Vista Ready". They are also *usenet* ready. Get it now?

Sheesh!

Alias
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

Mrs. Happy

Maybe you don't understand. I said Windows has most of the market. Even if
Vista has a small percentage right now, the IMPORTANT thing is, and it is
very important, Linux/Ubuntu/Unix has a very small market share. Certainly
not to grow much, even with their marketing department, Alias.

Why you keep preaching and spewing garbage about Ubuntu, your religion,
nobody knows. Maybe if you put your energy into something more
constructive, the planet would be a better place.

Try becoming a Ubuntu salesman, you might even make a sale every two or
three weeks. Enough to keep you in FREE open source software!!!!
 
F

Frank

Mrs. Happy said:
Maybe you don't understand. I said Windows has most of the market.
Even if Vista has a small percentage right now, the IMPORTANT thing is,
and it is very important, Linux/Ubuntu/Unix has a very small market
share. Certainly not to grow much, even with their marketing
department, Alias.

Why you keep preaching and spewing garbage about Ubuntu, your religion,
nobody knows. Maybe if you put your energy into something more
constructive, the planet would be a better place.

Try becoming a Ubuntu salesman, you might even make a sale every two or
three weeks. Enough to keep you in FREE open source software!!!!

hahaha...you're the BEST!
Could there be a divorce in your future mrs happy?
Do you have a waiting list?
Are there any openings available?
Frank
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top