Handout masters: Pasting from one master to another file.


G

Guest

In both PPT '97 and 2003, I've had a recurring problem when I cut and paste
from one handout master into another handout master. I work with multiple
presentations that become chapters in a book. When pasting header, footer or
other objects from one chapter master to another, sometimes the paste is
smaller or larger in the next chapter. When I add gridlines, I can see the
difference in page size, but can't determine where to change it so they are
all the same. I've checked Page Setup..., Header and Footer..., and Handout
Master Layout and never seen a difference in settings. In the Print tab under
Options, "Use the following print settings:/"Scale to fit paper" is NEVER
checked off. Has anyone had this problem? What's the solution?
 
Ad

Advertisements

E

Echo S

Marie said:
In both PPT '97 and 2003, I've had a recurring problem when I cut and
paste from one handout master into another handout master. I work
with multiple presentations that become chapters in a book. When
pasting header, footer or other objects from one chapter master to
another, sometimes the paste is smaller or larger in the next
chapter. When I add gridlines, I can see the difference in page size,
but can't determine where to change it so they are all the same.
I've checked Page Setup..., Header and Footer..., and Handout Master
Layout and never seen a difference in settings. In the Print tab
under Options, "Use the following print settings:/"Scale to fit
paper" is NEVER checked off. Has anyone had this problem? What's the
solution?

Are you sure it doesn't just look different on the screen because you're
viewing at a different zoom percentage?

I know that sounds like a stupid question, but if the page setup and master
layout and all that are the same, I'm thinking it may just be a view issue.
I know text often looks different here when I paste it; it's because I have
the notes panel open at the bottom of normal view on one file, but closed on
another, so I'm not really viewing the two files at the same size.
 
G

Guest

Reasonable question, but I routinely set all the files to the same % before I
cut and paste because I know PPT isn't a WYSIWYG. The guidelines tell me the
paper is a different size, but I can't find any setting that accounts for the
difference. I didn't create all the files and most have been "Saved As..." a
number of times. Thanks!
 
E

Echo S

Hm. When you say "the guidelines tell me the paper is a different size," do
you mean that when you click one of the guidelines and move it to the edge
of the slide, it gives a different value than in another presentation?

Oh, here's a thought -- what's the default text size in each of the files?
If you click the textbox icon, click on the slide, and start typing, what
size is the font?
 
G

Guest

In "Handout Master" view, with the gridlines turned on, the size of one
master according to the 1" gridlines is 10.5" x 8", which I confirmed by
drawing a box the size of the paper. In another master, the gridlines give a
size of 10 x 7.5, which was really 10.06 x 7.5 when I drew a box. The masters
are not the same size.

The Page Setup... addresses the size of the slides, not the size of the
Handout Master. I can't find a place to adjust the Handout Master size and
have always wondered why it wasn't set to be 8.5 x 11. Thanks!

Echo S said:
Hm. When you say "the guidelines tell me the paper is a different size," do
you mean that when you click one of the guidelines and move it to the edge
of the slide, it gives a different value than in another presentation?

Oh, here's a thought -- what's the default text size in each of the files?
If you click the textbox icon, click on the slide, and start typing, what
size is the font?

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com


Reasonable question, but I routinely set all the files to the same %
before I cut and paste because I know PPT isn't a WYSIWYG. The
guidelines tell me the paper is a different size, but I can't find
any setting that accounts for the difference. I didn't create all the
files and most have been "Saved As..." a number of times. Thanks!
 
E

Echo S

Wow, I don't know. I'm messing around with three blank PPT files here, and
no matter what size I set the slide to in File/Page Setup, the handout size
is the same here -- 8.5 x 11 with a 1-inch margin, so it's showing as 7.5 x
10. If I draw a box, it fits the same on all the handout masters.

Ahhh, but if I go to File/Print and hit the Properties button next to the
selected printer, I can change the page size there, hit Cancel on the print
dialog after doing so, and it's reflected in the handout master page setup.

So you might want to see what's set up for each file under File/Print. It
may be that the setting in Tools/Options/Print has the file using the
previous print settings, and they're all a little different for each file?

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

In "Handout Master" view, with the gridlines turned on, the size of
one master according to the 1" gridlines is 10.5" x 8", which I
confirmed by drawing a box the size of the paper. In another master,
the gridlines give a size of 10 x 7.5, which was really 10.06 x 7.5
when I drew a box. The masters are not the same size.

The Page Setup... addresses the size of the slides, not the size of
the Handout Master. I can't find a place to adjust the Handout Master
size and have always wondered why it wasn't set to be 8.5 x 11.
Thanks!

Echo S said:
Hm. When you say "the guidelines tell me the paper is a different
size," do you mean that when you click one of the guidelines and
move it to the edge of the slide, it gives a different value than in
another presentation?

Oh, here's a thought -- what's the default text size in each of the
files? If you click the textbox icon, click on the slide, and start
typing, what size is the font?

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com


Reasonable question, but I routinely set all the files to the same %
before I cut and paste because I know PPT isn't a WYSIWYG. The
guidelines tell me the paper is a different size, but I can't find
any setting that accounts for the difference. I didn't create all
the files and most have been "Saved As..." a number of times.
Thanks!

:

Marie wrote:
In both PPT '97 and 2003, I've had a recurring problem when I cut
and paste from one handout master into another handout master. I
work with multiple presentations that become chapters in a book.
When pasting header, footer or other objects from one chapter
master to another, sometimes the paste is smaller or larger in the
next chapter. When I add gridlines, I can see the difference in
page size, but can't determine where to change it so they are all
the same. I've checked Page Setup..., Header and Footer..., and
Handout Master Layout and never seen a difference in settings. In
the Print tab under Options, "Use the following print
settings:/"Scale to fit paper" is NEVER checked off. Has anyone
had this problem? What's the solution?

Are you sure it doesn't just look different on the screen because
you're viewing at a different zoom percentage?

I know that sounds like a stupid question, but if the page setup
and master layout and all that are the same, I'm thinking it may
just be a view issue. I know text often looks different here when
I paste it; it's because I have the notes panel open at the bottom
of normal view on one file, but closed on another, so I'm not
really viewing the two files at the same size.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

Thank you for something that worked! I changed the paper size in File/Page
Setup and then changed them all back to 8.5 x 11. Don't know what the setting
was on some before, but now they are all the same. Thanks again!

Echo S said:
Wow, I don't know. I'm messing around with three blank PPT files here, and
no matter what size I set the slide to in File/Page Setup, the handout size
is the same here -- 8.5 x 11 with a 1-inch margin, so it's showing as 7.5 x
10. If I draw a box, it fits the same on all the handout masters.

Ahhh, but if I go to File/Print and hit the Properties button next to the
selected printer, I can change the page size there, hit Cancel on the print
dialog after doing so, and it's reflected in the handout master page setup.

So you might want to see what's set up for each file under File/Print. It
may be that the setting in Tools/Options/Print has the file using the
previous print settings, and they're all a little different for each file?

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

In "Handout Master" view, with the gridlines turned on, the size of
one master according to the 1" gridlines is 10.5" x 8", which I
confirmed by drawing a box the size of the paper. In another master,
the gridlines give a size of 10 x 7.5, which was really 10.06 x 7.5
when I drew a box. The masters are not the same size.

The Page Setup... addresses the size of the slides, not the size of
the Handout Master. I can't find a place to adjust the Handout Master
size and have always wondered why it wasn't set to be 8.5 x 11.
Thanks!

Echo S said:
Hm. When you say "the guidelines tell me the paper is a different
size," do you mean that when you click one of the guidelines and
move it to the edge of the slide, it gives a different value than in
another presentation?

Oh, here's a thought -- what's the default text size in each of the
files? If you click the textbox icon, click on the slide, and start
typing, what size is the font?

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com



Marie wrote:
Reasonable question, but I routinely set all the files to the same %
before I cut and paste because I know PPT isn't a WYSIWYG. The
guidelines tell me the paper is a different size, but I can't find
any setting that accounts for the difference. I didn't create all
the files and most have been "Saved As..." a number of times.
Thanks!

:

Marie wrote:
In both PPT '97 and 2003, I've had a recurring problem when I cut
and paste from one handout master into another handout master. I
work with multiple presentations that become chapters in a book.
When pasting header, footer or other objects from one chapter
master to another, sometimes the paste is smaller or larger in the
next chapter. When I add gridlines, I can see the difference in
page size, but can't determine where to change it so they are all
the same. I've checked Page Setup..., Header and Footer..., and
Handout Master Layout and never seen a difference in settings. In
the Print tab under Options, "Use the following print
settings:/"Scale to fit paper" is NEVER checked off. Has anyone
had this problem? What's the solution?

Are you sure it doesn't just look different on the screen because
you're viewing at a different zoom percentage?

I know that sounds like a stupid question, but if the page setup
and master layout and all that are the same, I'm thinking it may
just be a view issue. I know text often looks different here when
I paste it; it's because I have the notes panel open at the bottom
of normal view on one file, but closed on another, so I'm not
really viewing the two files at the same size.
 
E

Echo S

File/Page Setup or File/Print, Marie? (Just want to be sure which to
recommend when this crops up again!)

Echo
Thank you for something that worked! I changed the paper size in
File/Page Setup and then changed them all back to 8.5 x 11. Don't
know what the setting was on some before, but now they are all the
same. Thanks again!

Echo S said:
Wow, I don't know. I'm messing around with three blank PPT files
here, and no matter what size I set the slide to in File/Page Setup,
the handout size is the same here -- 8.5 x 11 with a 1-inch margin,
so it's showing as 7.5 x
10. If I draw a box, it fits the same on all the handout masters.

Ahhh, but if I go to File/Print and hit the Properties button next
to the selected printer, I can change the page size there, hit
Cancel on the print dialog after doing so, and it's reflected in the
handout master page setup.

So you might want to see what's set up for each file under
File/Print. It may be that the setting in Tools/Options/Print has
the file using the previous print settings, and they're all a little
different for each file?

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

In "Handout Master" view, with the gridlines turned on, the size of
one master according to the 1" gridlines is 10.5" x 8", which I
confirmed by drawing a box the size of the paper. In another master,
the gridlines give a size of 10 x 7.5, which was really 10.06 x 7.5
when I drew a box. The masters are not the same size.

The Page Setup... addresses the size of the slides, not the size of
the Handout Master. I can't find a place to adjust the Handout
Master size and have always wondered why it wasn't set to be 8.5 x
11. Thanks!

:

Hm. When you say "the guidelines tell me the paper is a different
size," do you mean that when you click one of the guidelines and
move it to the edge of the slide, it gives a different value than
in another presentation?

Oh, here's a thought -- what's the default text size in each of the
files? If you click the textbox icon, click on the slide, and start
typing, what size is the font?

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com



Marie wrote:
Reasonable question, but I routinely set all the files to the
same % before I cut and paste because I know PPT isn't a WYSIWYG.
The guidelines tell me the paper is a different size, but I can't
find any setting that accounts for the difference. I didn't
create all the files and most have been "Saved As..." a number of
times. Thanks!

:

Marie wrote:
In both PPT '97 and 2003, I've had a recurring problem when I
cut and paste from one handout master into another handout
master. I work with multiple presentations that become chapters
in a book. When pasting header, footer or other objects from
one chapter master to another, sometimes the paste is smaller
or larger in the next chapter. When I add gridlines, I can see
the difference in page size, but can't determine where to
change it so they are all the same. I've checked Page Setup...,
Header and Footer..., and Handout Master Layout and never seen
a difference in settings. In the Print tab under Options, "Use
the following print settings:/"Scale to fit paper" is NEVER
checked off. Has anyone had this problem? What's the solution?

Are you sure it doesn't just look different on the screen because
you're viewing at a different zoom percentage?

I know that sounds like a stupid question, but if the page setup
and master layout and all that are the same, I'm thinking it may
just be a view issue. I know text often looks different here when
I paste it; it's because I have the notes panel open at the
bottom of normal view on one file, but closed on another, so I'm
not really viewing the two files at the same size.
 
G

Guest

File/Print/Properties was what corrected the problem. Glad you checked.
Thanks again!

Echo S said:
File/Page Setup or File/Print, Marie? (Just want to be sure which to
recommend when this crops up again!)

Echo
Thank you for something that worked! I changed the paper size in
File/Page Setup and then changed them all back to 8.5 x 11. Don't
know what the setting was on some before, but now they are all the
same. Thanks again!

Echo S said:
Wow, I don't know. I'm messing around with three blank PPT files
here, and no matter what size I set the slide to in File/Page Setup,
the handout size is the same here -- 8.5 x 11 with a 1-inch margin,
so it's showing as 7.5 x
10. If I draw a box, it fits the same on all the handout masters.

Ahhh, but if I go to File/Print and hit the Properties button next
to the selected printer, I can change the page size there, hit
Cancel on the print dialog after doing so, and it's reflected in the
handout master page setup.

So you might want to see what's set up for each file under
File/Print. It may be that the setting in Tools/Options/Print has
the file using the previous print settings, and they're all a little
different for each file?

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com


Marie wrote:
In "Handout Master" view, with the gridlines turned on, the size of
one master according to the 1" gridlines is 10.5" x 8", which I
confirmed by drawing a box the size of the paper. In another master,
the gridlines give a size of 10 x 7.5, which was really 10.06 x 7.5
when I drew a box. The masters are not the same size.

The Page Setup... addresses the size of the slides, not the size of
the Handout Master. I can't find a place to adjust the Handout
Master size and have always wondered why it wasn't set to be 8.5 x
11. Thanks!

:

Hm. When you say "the guidelines tell me the paper is a different
size," do you mean that when you click one of the guidelines and
move it to the edge of the slide, it gives a different value than
in another presentation?

Oh, here's a thought -- what's the default text size in each of the
files? If you click the textbox icon, click on the slide, and start
typing, what size is the font?

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com



Marie wrote:
Reasonable question, but I routinely set all the files to the
same % before I cut and paste because I know PPT isn't a WYSIWYG.
The guidelines tell me the paper is a different size, but I can't
find any setting that accounts for the difference. I didn't
create all the files and most have been "Saved As..." a number of
times. Thanks!

:

Marie wrote:
In both PPT '97 and 2003, I've had a recurring problem when I
cut and paste from one handout master into another handout
master. I work with multiple presentations that become chapters
in a book. When pasting header, footer or other objects from
one chapter master to another, sometimes the paste is smaller
or larger in the next chapter. When I add gridlines, I can see
the difference in page size, but can't determine where to
change it so they are all the same. I've checked Page Setup...,
Header and Footer..., and Handout Master Layout and never seen
a difference in settings. In the Print tab under Options, "Use
the following print settings:/"Scale to fit paper" is NEVER
checked off. Has anyone had this problem? What's the solution?

Are you sure it doesn't just look different on the screen because
you're viewing at a different zoom percentage?

I know that sounds like a stupid question, but if the page setup
and master layout and all that are the same, I'm thinking it may
just be a view issue. I know text often looks different here when
I paste it; it's because I have the notes panel open at the
bottom of normal view on one file, but closed on another, so I'm
not really viewing the two files at the same size.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top