Grisoft AVG Anti-virus: frequent restarts required

Andy Mabbett

Has anyone else found that, lately, the free edition of Grisoft AVG
Anti-virus seems to require a restart on an almost daily basis?

Anonymous

Has anyone else found that, lately, the free edition of Grisoft AVG
Anti-virus seems to require a restart on an almost daily basis?

No, not all all. My copy of the latest version didn't require a restart
when it was download and installed either.

What I *HAVE* noticed is that my computer's CPU is running at 60 to
100% capacity at startup for several minutes and the culprit is the AVG
scanner---which doesn't seem to be scanning anything.

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to send

Anonymous said:
What I *HAVE* noticed is that my computer's CPU is running at 60 to 100%
capacity at startup for several minutes and the culprit is the AVG
scanner---which doesn't seem to be scanning anything.

That happened with me, too, which is why I ended up hunting up something
else.

Jesse Spencer

Mine does the boot up update almost daily. Can live with it.

No, not all all. My copy of the latest version didn't require a restart
when it was download and installed either.

What I *HAVE* noticed is that my computer's CPU is running at 60 to 100%
capacity at startup for several minutes and the culprit is the AVG
scanner---which doesn't seem to be scanning anything.

Don't have this problem however.
Depends on settings I guess. Couldn't live with that.

Helen

Jesse said:
Mine does the boot up update almost daily. Can live with it.

Don't have this problem however.
Depends on settings I guess. Couldn't live with that.
Same here. XP Home OS SP2 w/o auto UPdates, but auto updates allowed
for AVG only and no problems in years with Win OS's.

Elf Wizard

--
Andy Mabbett
Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: <http://www.no2id.net/>

Free Our Data: <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>

Hi Andy, Hi all, :)

I had a similar problem last month (now solved).
Please see my post at AVG Forum:
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?1,69997,backpage=,sv=

Notice the 3 links provided by Big Al (he responded to my post).

I hope this helps.
If not, maybe you want to subscribe at AVG Forum and post for help.
Forum's page is there: http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/index.php?0

Laminar Flow

AVG never seems to need a restart after an update.
But it ALWAYS asks for restart on my wife's laptop.
I don't know why.

Mike Fahy

AVG never seems to need a restart after an update.
But it ALWAYS asks for restart on my wife's laptop.
I don't know why.

Download, but don't install, the latest complete version from Grisoft.
~16 MB.

Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, and uninstall AVG. Restart
the computer and install the latest version.

I've had to do this two or three trimes over the years whenever AVG
behaves badly.

Susan Bugher

Elf said:
Andy Mabbett wrote:
I had a similar problem last month (now solved).
Please see my post at AVG Forum:
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?1,69997,backpage=,sv=

Notice the 3 links provided by Big Al (he responded to my post).

I recently started seeing bigger AVG update files (and restarts every
time). I just now followed the instructions posted in the AVG forum and
all is well again (and the fix was much easier than a reinstall).

Many many thanks, Elf Wizard. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware