Graphics Card

Reaction score
Dear all,

To be honest I don't know an awful lot about graphics cards. I've been give a pc that has a GeForce 6600GT, I would like Play CS:Source, Fear, HL2 and Rainbow 6. Will this card handle them or should I upgrade, I have about £100.00 to spend.

I have an ABit AN8 Series (NF-CK804), (Socket 939) board, currently with nVidia NForce4 chipset, processor is an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with 2Gb RAM.

Many thanks,

Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It would do CS:S and HL2 no probs, however I'm not sure on the other two. It might be worth trying the demos and see how they perform before you make the decision. :)

I know there are some Fear players here so they might be able to help with that one :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thats a very nice gift .

nod.gif

Reaction score
I have a very similar rig, with a 6600GT card but an AMD X2 4400.

HL and CS2 on highest settings are fine, but Fear grinds to a serious halt when the action kicks off. Unplayable I'm afraid.

I'm thinking about a card upgrade, but like you don't want to spend the earth. For that money any of the 8800GTs etc is out of the question, but check out some of the 8600s:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?&groupid=701&catid=56&subid=912&sortby=priceAsc

For what it's worth, the Leadtek extreme that I have has been a top notch card for the last 2 years. No trouble, and it's lasted surprisingly long with some of the newer games. I may go for the Leadtek 8600 GT Extreme - it's also SLI-ready so you can get another when the price drops a bit more!

Jock

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Have opted for the overclocked 8600GT, and a 22" widescreen monitor :)

Ask a Question