Graphics Card : Not working properly on cold boot : 8600gt

Reaction score
Hi All - First post.

I have just installed a Point of View 8600gt 512mb card on by Abit Fatil1ty AN8SLi MB.

From a cold boot the screen does not display properly, the screen is garbled with a multi-colour mess all over the screen - the entire graphics is messed up from boot during the bios readouts and then onto Vista 32.

However, hitting the reset button fixes this, and its fine from then on. I have had to hit the reset button up to about 10 times to clear the problem.

Once graphics are OK, the PC is fine and plays games perfectly.

Any idea on how to fix this?, as I would like to be able to switch my PC on to boot unattended!!

Thanks in advance.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Have you got the latest drivers for your GF card and are there any , drivers or bios updates for your mobo that might help with the problem .

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Its all completely up to date, Im guessing its not a Windows Vista thing as the problem occurs immediately on power up.

Could be BIOS I guess, but would need to await a further update no doubt(?)

Its weird how it works perfectly after a reset or two.... Could it be a power or heat related issue? By the time it works the card would have been on for about a minute or so?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Its one of them jobs then , here goes , have you tried ,
taking card out and replacing in slot ,
different cables to monitor ,
different internal cables to card ,
different card,
thoses are fairly easy to try and you might find the fault . Worth a try .

happywave.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... the screen is garbled with a multi-colour mess all over the screen - the entire graphics is messed up from boot ...
This is a sign of a faulty card ... I would try reseating it.

What PSU do you have?

:thumb:

Reaction score
I have a Hiper 580w PSU

The card does not have/require extra power cable to it as it runs of the PCI power directly.

I will try removing it, and re-inserting to see if issue clears.

Its working perfectly, apart from the small boot issue - which is weird!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Its working perfectly, apart from the small boot issue - which is weird!
Not really, I've seen more than my fair share of "faulty" cards, this is indicative of just that.

Who made the card, not all are equal in there use of components used.

Abit also don't come high on my list of MBs, fact is, I wouldn't buy one.

If this Hiper 580w PSU is a "modular" type, then they are providing a possible point of failure.

You seem to have a power-on-boot problem, where, it looks as the video card is not receiving enough power at start. I won't rule out my first thought of a faulty card. :thumb:

:user:

Reaction score
Its a Point-of-View 8600GT 512mb

My system has been running well for nearly 2 years now with no problems.

I have just upgraded the Gfx card and added a second Sata drive all in a nice Coolermaster Stacker!

I agree this is either a power-up issue or something more sinister.

But if a card is faulty, I would expect issues in other places aswell, once booted, the card performs excellently and gaming is great.

My previous card was an MSI 6800GS - Which did however, have the power connecter directly on the card.

Is there such facility for looking at the power directed to the PCI-E port? Something which could be tweaked in BIOS?

Ive just seen the new 9600Gt's are out, this maybe an excuse to bash the credit card!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well, I do find it strange that this card does not require a dedicated power supply ... as you said, even your older card had one ... I have never heard of 'Point-of-View' and therefore would probably not have bought it.

You are also correct in your assumption, why no 'artifacts' after a successful boot-up ... you are aware that there is something not right with this card. ;)

Have a look in the BIOS, I cannot help there, as I said, I don't like Abit.

Bottom line with all "fault finding" is to swap out the suspected faulty item ... Beg, borrow or buy another 'proper' 8600, one that does require its own power, and see.

Good luck. :thumb:

:user:

Ask a Question