Gradually migrate from Win2000 to Win2003 AD

Marlon Brown

I have 10 domain controllers to be migrated to Win2003 and little time to
migrate the whole thing.

If I raise the Forest to Win2003 and install two Win2003 (new hardware) DC's
and transfer the roles of PDC emulator and all other FSMO roles to the new
Win2003 servers, do you see any problem reinstalling Win2003 gradually on
each of the remaining DCs's ?(DCs are also GC on remote sites)
I already migrated to Exch2003.

I have SMS2.0SP5
Macintosh clients 7+
Win2000/XP
Win2003 DNS Servers

Herb Martin

Marlon Brown said:
I have 10 domain controllers to be migrated to Win2003 and little time to
migrate the whole thing.

If I raise the Forest to Win2003 and install two Win2003 (new hardware) DC's
and transfer the roles of PDC emulator and all other FSMO roles to the new
Win2003 servers, do you see any problem reinstalling Win2003 gradually on
each of the remaining DCs's ?(DCs are also GC on remote sites)
I already migrated to Exch2003.

You cannot raise a Domain level to "Win2003 Server mode"
until ALL DCs in domain run Win2003.

You cannot raise the Forest level to "Win2003 Forest Functional
Level" until ALL DOMAINS are at "Win2003 Server Mode",
and thus until all DCs in Forest are running Win2003.

If by "raise the Forest to Win2003" you mean run Forest
and Domain prep to allow Win2003 DCs then that is fine
but it does not change the domain mode or forest functional
level.

Usually the term "raise" is reserved to these features.
I have SMS2.0SP5
Macintosh clients 7+
Win2000/XP
Win2003 DNS Servers

This is almost totally a DC issue.
[/QUOTE]

lforbes

Hi,
You cannot raise a Domain level to "Win2003 Server mode"
until ALL DCs in domain run Win2003.

You cannot raise the Forest level to "Win2003 Forest Functional
Level" until ALL DOMAINS are at "Win2003 Server Mode",
and thus until all DCs in Forest are running Win2003.

I just returned from a year off on Maternity leave. My replacement
upgraded both my domains from windows 2000 to windows 2003 in one day
basically running the install off the CD. Things went really smootly
and there were no issues. I felt no need to do a completely new
install of 2003 because of how similar it was to 2000 (unlike with
NT).

However, as I have only played with 2003 for a few months I wasn’t
aware of the Windows 2003 server mode? What is the advantage of this?
I have all Windows 2003 DC’s now and was running in native mode before
the upgrade.

Cheers,

Lara

Herb Martin

However, as I have only played with 2003 for a few months I wasn't
aware of the Windows 2003 server mode? What is the advantage of this?
I have all Windows 2003 DC's now and was running in native mode before
the upgrade.

There were only two modes for Domains (and none
for Forests) in Win2000.

Win2003 adds several; there are now 4 modes for
domains and 3 "functional levals" for forests -- many
people use the term "functional mode" for both forests
and domains but I prefer to keep the distinct terms for
clarity.

Domain modes:
1) Mixed mode -- the default (available in Win2000)
2) Native mode -requires all Win2000+ DCs, i.e., no BDCs
(available in Win2000
3) Interrim (new to Win2003) allows BDCs but no Win2000
4) Win2003 Server mode (Win2003 DCs ONLY)
(this has also been called Win2003 Native mode at times)

Forest functional levels:

1) Windows 2000 FFL (roughly equivalent to Mixed
mode at the domain level)
2) Win2003 Interrim FFL (mostly improves replication
behavior since no Win2000 DCs are/can be involved.
3) Windows 2003 -- enables things like Forest level trusts
and domain rename (since the entire forest is now Win2003
DC and will not be confused by such changes.)
Also "Defunting" (yes, it's a verb) of Schema object additions

There are various improvements but the simplest way
to understand the difference between Native and Mixed
(available even in Win2000) is that anything that would
confuse an NT-BDC is not allowed.

Note that Native mode is pratically a DC issue and has
NO direct effect on legacy clients. Some improvements
include (not a full list): Group nesting and Universal
groups, improved support for migrating users INTO the
domain, dropping of the SAM (and any practically limits
on domain size) by the PDC-emulator (which is STILL
needed), improvements to RRAS for users (Policy grant
and deny of access, IP assignment etc.), most group type
conversions,

The main improvements for Win2003 Server DOMAIN mode
are Domain controller rename, InetOrgPerson password
(can be used in place of User account object), and the
updating of the last logon time -- really though for most
people, the real reason for Win2003 mode at the domain
is that all domains must be here to reach Win2003 FFL
on the Forest.

<
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...v/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/sag_levels.asp >

--
Herb Martin

lforbes said:
Hi,

I just returned from a year off on Maternity leave. My replacement
upgraded both my domains from windows 2000 to windows 2003 in one day
basically running the install off the CD. Things went really smootly
and there were no issues. I felt no need to do a completely new
install of 2003 because of how similar it was to 2000 (unlike with
NT).

However, as I have only played with 2003 for a few months I wasn't
aware of the Windows 2003 server mode? What is the advantage of this?
I have all Windows 2003 DC's now and was running in native mode before
the upgrade.

Cheers,

Lara

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Active...migrate-Win2000-Win2003-AD-ftopict242271.html

lforbes

Herb Martin said:
[...]

&nbsp;> > You cannot raise a Domain level to "Win2003 Server
mode"
&nbsp;> > until ALL DCs in domain run Win2003.
&nbsp;> >
&nbsp;> > You cannot raise the Forest level to "Win2003
Forest Functional
&nbsp;> > Level" until ALL DOMAINS are at "Win2003 Server
Mode",
&nbsp;> > and thus until all DCs in Forest are running
Win2003.
&nbsp;> >
abuse:
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=740977

Hi,

Thanks. I understand the different modes in Windows 2000 and the
benefit of going to native mode in W2k. For me it was the RRAS access
in Group Policy.

I didn’t know you had to be in the Windows 2003 Server mode to rename
a dc. Also I didn’t know you could rename a domain in 2003. That is
a definite improvement I have been pushing for. Now if only they would
allow you to merge to pre-existing Forest/Tree/Domains into one
Forest. That is the next step. They should have done this with 2003 in
my opinion. There are too many cases where two companies merge and
don’t want to have to disolve one domain.

Cheers,

Lara

Herb Martin

Thanks. I understand the different modes in Windows 2000 and the
benefit of going to native mode in W2k. For me it was the RRAS access
in Group Policy.

Yes. I was pretty sure you knew about Win2000 Server
mode but it is much easy to discuss the other modes and
FFL if you start with those changes and build it incrementally.

Most people make the mistake of trying to understand this
stuff en masse.
I didn't know you had to be in the Windows 2003 Server mode to rename
a dc.

It is greyed out in all Win2000 modes.
Also I didn't know you could rename a domain in 2003. That is
a definite improvement I have been pushing for.

There are some limitations so before you depend on it
you need to investigate more deeply.
Now if only they would
allow you to merge to pre-existing Forest/Tree/Domains into one
Forest. That is the next step. They should have done this with 2003 in
my opinion. There are too many cases where two companies merge and
don't want to have to disolve one domain.

This is approximated by Forest level trusts. While
there is still no true "prune and graft" of domains or
Forests, the Forest level trust allows for a single
trust between the two forests to be transitive to all
domains within those forests (one-way or two-way
as an option.)

Although the documentation says that Forest trusts
are transitive, they are in fact only SEMI-transitive,
i.e., a single trust creates an effective trust between
all domains in two forests but if a third forest is
involved the transitivity does not propagate across
FORESTS -- to the next forest.

lforbes

Herb Martin said:
[...]

&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > However, as I have only played with 2003
for a few months I
&nbsp;> > wasn't
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > aware of the Windows 2003 server mode? What
is the advantage
&nbsp;> > of this?
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > I have all Windows 2003 DC's now and was
running in native
&nbsp;> > mode before
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > the upgrade.
&nbsp;> >
&nbsp;> > There were only two modes for Domains (and none
&nbsp;> > for Forests) in Win2000.
&nbsp;> >
&nbsp;> > Win2003 adds several; there are now 4 modes for
&nbsp;> > domains and 3 "functional levals" for forests --
many
&nbsp;> > people use the term "functional mode" for both
forests
&nbsp;> > and domains but I prefer to keep the distinct terms
for
&nbsp;> > clarity.
&nbsp;> >
&nbsp;> > Domain modes:
&nbsp;> > 1) Mixed mode -- the default (available in
Win2000)
&nbsp;> > 2) Native mode -requires all Win2000+ DCs,
i.e., no BDCs
&nbsp;> > (available in Win2000
&nbsp;> > 3) Interrim (new to Win2003) allows BDCs but no
Win2000
&nbsp;> > 4) Win2003 Server mode (Win2003 DCs ONLY)
&nbsp;> > (this has also been called Win2003
Native mode at
&nbsp;> > times)
&nbsp;> >
&nbsp;> > Forest functional levels:
&nbsp;> >
&nbsp;> > 1) Windows 2000 FFL (roughly equivalent to
Mixed
&nbsp;> > mode at the domain level)
&nbsp;> > 2) Win2003 Interrim FFL (mostly improves
replication
&nbsp;> > behavior since no Win2000 DCs are/can
be involved.
&nbsp;> > 3) Windows 2003 -- enables things like Forest
level trusts
&nbsp;> > and domain rename (since the entire forest
is now
&nbsp;> > Win2003
&nbsp;> > DC and will not be confused by such
changes.)
&nbsp;> > Also "Defunting" (yes, it's a verb) of
Schema object
&nbsp;> > additions
&nbsp;> >
&nbsp;> > There are various improvements but the simplest way
&nbsp;> > to understand the difference between Native and
Mixed
&nbsp;> > (available even in Win2000) is that anything that
would
&nbsp;> > confuse an NT-BDC is not allowed.
&nbsp;> >
&nbsp;> > Note that Native mode is pratically a DC issue and
has
&nbsp;> > NO direct effect on legacy clients. Some
improvements
&nbsp;> > include (not a full list): Group nesting and
Universal
&nbsp;> > groups, improved support for migrating users INTO
the
&nbsp;> > domain, dropping of the SAM (and any practically
limits
&nbsp;> > on domain size) by the PDC-emulator (which is STILL
&nbsp;> > needed), improvements to RRAS for users (Policy
grant
&nbsp;> > and deny of access, IP assignment etc.), most group
type
&nbsp;> > conversions,
&nbsp;> >
&nbsp;> > The main improvements for Win2003 Server DOMAIN
mode
&nbsp;> > are Domain controller rename, InetOrgPerson
password
&nbsp;> > (can be used in place of User account object), and
the
&nbsp;> > updating of the last logon time -- really though
for most
&nbsp;> > people, the real reason for Win2003 mode at the
domain
&nbsp;> > is that all domains must be here to reach Win2003
FFL
&nbsp;> > on the Forest.
&nbsp;> >
&nbsp;> >
&nbsp;> > &lt;
&nbsp;> >
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...v/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/sag_levels.asp
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > >
&nbsp;> >
&nbsp;> > --
&nbsp;> > Herb Martin
&nbsp;> >
&nbsp;> >
&nbsp;> > "lforbes" &lt;[email protected]&gt;
wrote in message
&nbsp;> > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > Hi,
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > >
&nbsp;> > &nbsp;&gt; &gt; You cannot raise a Domain level to
"Win2003 Server
&nbsp;> > mode"
&nbsp;> > &nbsp;&gt; &gt; until ALL DCs in domain run
Win2003.
&nbsp;> > &nbsp;&gt; &gt;
&nbsp;> > &nbsp;&gt; &gt; You cannot raise the Forest level
to "Win2003
&nbsp;> > Forest Functional
&nbsp;> > &nbsp;&gt; &gt; Level" until ALL DOMAINS are at
"Win2003 Server
&nbsp;> > Mode",
&nbsp;> > &nbsp;&gt; &gt; and thus until all DCs in Forest
are running
&nbsp;> > Win2003.
&nbsp;> > &nbsp;&gt; &gt;
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > >
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > I just returned from a year off on
Maternity leave. My
&nbsp;> > replacement
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > upgraded both my domains from windows 2000
to windows 2003
&nbsp;> > in one day
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > basically running the install off the CD.
Things went really
&nbsp;> > smootly
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > and there were no issues. I felt no need to
do a completely
&nbsp;> > new
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > install of 2003 because of how similar it
was to 2000
&nbsp;> > (unlike with
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > NT).
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > >
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > However, as I have only played with 2003
for a few months I
&nbsp;> > wasn't
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > aware of the Windows 2003 server mode? What
is the advantage
&nbsp;> > of this?
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > I have all Windows 2003 DC's now and was
running in native
&nbsp;> > mode before
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > the upgrade.
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > >
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > Cheers,
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > >
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > Lara
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > >
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > --
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article
was posted by author's
request
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > Articles individually checked for
conformance to usenet
&nbsp;> > standards
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > Topic URL:
&nbsp;> >
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Active...migrate-Win2000-Win2003-AD-ftopict242271.html
&nbsp;&nbsp;> > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg.
req'd). Report
&nbsp;> > abuse:
&nbsp;> > http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=740977

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Windows 2003 is quite new to me so I will have to
explore it further.

You wouldn’t happend to know the registry key to change to make all
new shares Everyone=Full Control instead of Everyone=Read would you?
It is the One most annoying thing about Windows 2003 that I haven’t
figured out how to change.

Who uses Share permissions in W2003, I don’t know. Why bother when
NTFS is far more effective and adding share permissions only
complicates things. I have never had non-NT clients so I have never
seen the need to use share permissions.

Cheers,

Lara

Herb Martin

Thanks for the info. Windows 2003 is quite new to me so I will have to
explore it further.

You wouldn't happend to know the registry key to change to make all
new shares Everyone=Full Control instead of Everyone=Read would you?
It is the One most annoying thing about Windows 2003 that I haven't
figured out how to change.

No, I don't but were I to know that I might not tell <grin>
since it is such a bad idea.

Really, I try to get people to REMOVE all of the Everyone
references and substitute (at worst) Authenticated Users, or
better the specific groups who should have access.
Who uses Share permissions in W2003, I don't know. Why bother when
NTFS is far more effective and adding share permissions only
complicates things.

They both have their value. For one, if you know that
a group will never need more than read, you set the
share to READ for that group so that you cannot accidentally
grant to much through NTFS.

Defense in depth.

You can also use CHANGE on the share to prevent
people from changing permissions on their own files
or to secure files on FAT, FAT32, etc.
I have never had non-NT clients so I have never
seen the need to use share permissions.

You may not need them in your situation, but those
that make blanket statements to never use them are
not thinking it through.

--
Herb Martin

lforbes said:
[...]

http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=743379

lforbes

Hi,
You may not need them in your situation, but those that make blanket
statements to never use them are not thinking it through.

I do troubleshooting for a variety of different networks as well as
maintaining my own. Since Windows 2003 was released 90% of the
problems have been caused from this annoying "new" feature. That and
that new "Internet Explorer Security annoyance" I know in my case
it has caused me hours and hours of work that I really don’t have time
for.

I am of the opinion that Microsoft should not try to save people from
themselves. If you are a good admin you won’t ever need to use share
permissions as NTFS are far more powerful and far more useful. I have
1200 users per network in two different networks. No one has
write-access to anything that I don’t specifically allow them access
to. I have never "accidentally" set incorrect NTFS permissions.

The only one time when I had an issue was with the Default permissions
on an XP Pro drive. They "appear" to be Users=Read with no hint of
anything else. However when you click "advanced" you see users have
the right to create sub-folders and then full-control of those
subfolders and files. Took me awhile to figure that one out and
unfortunately it was after I install 300 new XP machines. Luckily the
scripted XCacls saved the day and I could set the correct permissions
via a startup script from the DC.
You can also use CHANGE on the share to prevent people from changing
permissions on their own files or to secure files on FAT, FAT32, etc.

Windows 2003 won’t install FAT/Fat32 =).

I do understand that Share permissions are there if I need them.
However, I just don’t want them pre-set.

Cheers,

Lara

Herb Martin

I do understand that Share permissions are there if I need them.
However, I just don't want them pre-set.

Why ever would you transfer the discussion to "pre-set".

The question under discussion is do they have a use for
some people some of the time -- the answer is clearly yes,
as even you have convinced yourself and written once
you thought it through.

Are share permissions sometimes irrelevant? Of course.

And you know they are there when (and if) you ever need
them.

lforbes

Hi,
Why ever would you transfer the discussion to "pre-set". The question
under discussion is do they have a use for some people some of the
time -- the answer is clearly yes, as even you have convinced yourself
and written once you thought it through.

I am not saying Microsoft should do away with having Share
Permissions. I agree, they are useful for others maybe more than
myself. However, I am just saying they caused a lot less trouble when
they weren’t defaulted to "read only" for everyone. When they were
"everyone = full control" then they didn’t mess with access of
administrators, users to their home folders etc.

For example, I have 2500 Users. I create hundreds of shares for users
home directories, applications that need shared directories, group
shared directories . Now everytime I create a share, I have to
manually remember to go in and change the share permissions back to
Full Control. As my NTFS permissions are inherited they are created
automatically when the folder is created. If I forget the share
permissions, then the application doesn’t work, etc and I have to come
in on my day off to reset the share permissions.

Microsoft made such a big deal about "secure out of the box" with
Windows 2003. I think that was a great idea, but in this one case they
went a little overboard.

Security is a good thing but not letting users access their own home
directories or their profiles by default is just a little over the
top.

Cheers,

Lara