GPU or something else ?

Reaction score
Guys,

just installed my pc (2 days old)and updated everything and installed the right drivers.

Now once in a while the system completely freezes and i need to unplug the power or push the button to turn my pc off.
Last time my screen turned into saving mode, as if he wasn't connected with my grapphics card... PC was running but i didn't have image.

It happend about 3 times now and everytime when i was gaming, so i think its my GPU.
But i dont know for sure and want to know how i can be sure.

I red a little thing about the Event Viewer and i found this Error report.

Error code 00000024, parameter1 001902fe, parameter2 b97c124c, parameter3 b97c0f48, parameter4 8054bfd2.

Source: System error

I don't know if it has anything to do with it but ok.

Hope you guys know anything.

Greetz Rolan

Reaction score
naLor said:
Guys,

just installed my pc (2 days old)and updated everything and installed the right drivers.

Now once in a while the system completely freezes and i need to unplug the power or push the button to turn my pc off.
Last time my screen turned into saving mode, as if he wasn't connected with my grapphics card... PC was running but i didn't have image.

It happend about 3 times now and everytime when i was gaming, so i think its my GPU.
But i dont know for sure and want to know how i can be sure.

I red a little thing about the Event Viewer and i found this Error report.

Error code 00000024, parameter1 001902fe, parameter2 b97c124c, parameter3 b97c0f48, parameter4 8054bfd2.

Source: System error

I don't know if it has anything to do with it but ok.

Hope you guys know anything.

Greetz Rolan

Hi,

I would suggest that you check your GPU with one of the following apps 3D MARK 06 or Aquamark they will test stress your GPU and if it freezes during the test then I would say it is most likely your GPU. Also download this that tool will mointor CPU temps let us know what the temps are for your CPU. Have you made sure that you CPU is seated correctly to the mainboard and that the heat sink is connected correctly to the CPU its self. Have you tried a reinstall of windows? Can you please let us know your specs of your pc. If you have an 8800GT card then I would suggest that you change the fan speed to around 70% these cards are known for getting very hot, use this.

Regards,

Wiz

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey i have a Radeon 4850.. i changed the fan speed to 100% but it won't work...

Now he some times freezes when i am doing nothing. I still need to re-install my pc, and upgrade it to xp x64. Will do that tomorrow, i think thats the solution. Because i can play Counter Strike:Source as long as i want..

He just freezes once in a while. These are my temperatures:

Temperaturen
Mobo 31 °C (88 °F)
CPU 24 °C (75 °F)
CPU #1 / Kern #1 29 °C (84 °F)
CPU #1 / Kern #2 29 °C (84 °F)
GPU Diode (DispIO) 39 °C (102 °F)
GPU Diode (MemIO) 38 °C (100 °F)
GPU Diode (Shader) 39 °C (102 °F)
SAMSUNG HD642JJ 19 °C (66 °F)
Seagate ST3500830AS 53 °C (127 °F)

Spanningswaarde
CPU Core 1.14 V
+3.3 V 3.36 V
+12 V 11.86 V
+5 V Standby 5.19 V
VBAT Batterij 3.12 V
DIMM 1.95 V

Huidige waardes
CPU 7.56 A

Power Values
CPU 8.59 W

I think its very normal, dont you ? What can i do with the program ?

Reaction score
naLor said:
Hey i have a Radeon 4850.. i changed the fan speed to 100% but it won't work...

Now he some times freezes when i am doing nothing. I still need to re-install my pc, and upgrade it to xp x64. Will do that tomorrow, i think thats the solution. Because i can play Counter Strike:Source as long as i want..

He just freezes once in a while. These are my temperatures:

Temperaturen
Mobo 31 °C (88 °F)
CPU 24 °C (75 °F)
CPU #1 / Kern #1 29 °C (84 °F)
CPU #1 / Kern #2 29 °C (84 °F)
GPU Diode (DispIO) 39 °C (102 °F)
GPU Diode (MemIO) 38 °C (100 °F)
GPU Diode (Shader) 39 °C (102 °F)
SAMSUNG HD642JJ 19 °C (66 °F)
Seagate ST3500830AS 53 °C (127 °F)

Spanningswaarde
CPU Core 1.14 V
+3.3 V 3.36 V
+12 V 11.86 V
+5 V Standby 5.19 V
VBAT Batterij 3.12 V
DIMM 1.95 V

Huidige waardes
CPU 7.56 A

Power Values
CPU 8.59 W

I think its very normal, dont you ? What can i do with the program ?

The temps look pretty normal to me. Have you checked to make sure that there is enough paste on the between the cpu and heat sink? As this can lead to this problem? I would say that it is ok though based on your temps but is worth a check first. Do the temps rise much when the system is under load? Have you checked in the BIOS to make sure that the RAM timings are correct? Also I would load optimised defaults in the BIOS as well.

When you say that when you set the fan to 100% it did not work, do you mean that you were un able to apply the settings?

What PSU are you using?

Regards,

Wiz

Last edited:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
It could be that he PSU isnt giving enough power to the components.

Reaction score
wizkid said:
The temps look pretty normal to me. Have you checked to make sure that there is enough paste on the between the cpu and heat sink? As this can lead to this problem? I would say that it is ok though based on your temps but is worth a check first. Do the temps rise much when the system is under load? Have you checked in the BIOS to make sure that the RAM timings are correct? Also I would load optimised defaults in the BIOS as well.

When you say that when you set the fan to 100% it did not work, do you mean that you were un able to apply the settings?

What PSU are you using?

Regards,

Wiz

I am using Cooler Master 520W. THese are my specs, maybe thats easy.
There is enoug Pasta, i used the pasta that was on the CPU cooler. Freezer 7 Pro.

CPU Type DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3000 MHz (9 x 333)
Mobo Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (2 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
RAM 3328 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
DIMM1: Corsair XMS2 DHX CM2X2048-6400C5DHX 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 Mhz) (4-4-4-13 @ 270 Mhz)
DIMM3: Corsair XMS2 DHX CM2X2048-6400C5DHX 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 Mhz) (4-4-4-13 @ 270 Mhz)
GFX ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (512 MB)
3D Acceleration ATI Radeon HD 4850 (RV770)

You need any more ?

Everything in my BIOS is set to Auto.
When i change the fan speed to 100% it wont help with the hangers.. he random hangs. Last night i ran all night long my pc without problems.. Now i played Dead Space for a while without problems so it's randomly with the freezers. Today i will reinstall my pc maybe that will be the solution ?

Hope we can fix this prob.

Reaction score
naLor said:
I am using Cooler Master 520W. THese are my specs, maybe thats easy.
There is enoug Pasta, i used the pasta that was on the CPU cooler. Freezer 7 Pro.

CPU Type DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3000 MHz (9 x 333)
Mobo Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (2 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
RAM 3328 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
DIMM1: Corsair XMS2 DHX CM2X2048-6400C5DHX 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 Mhz) (4-4-4-13 @ 270 Mhz)
DIMM3: Corsair XMS2 DHX CM2X2048-6400C5DHX 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 Mhz) (4-4-4-13 @ 270 Mhz)
GFX ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (512 MB)
3D Acceleration ATI Radeon HD 4850 (RV770)

You need any more ?

Everything in my BIOS is set to Auto.
When i change the fan speed to 100% it wont help with the hangers.. he random hangs. Last night i ran all night long my pc without problems.. Now i played Dead Space for a while without problems so it's randomly with the freezers. Today i will reinstall my pc maybe that will be the solution ?

Hope we can fix this prob.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked on ATI'S web site and it says that the recommended PSU for that GFX card is 550W. The GFX card could not be getting enough power from the PSU wich could be causing this problem. If the problems continue after a reinstall of the OS, then I would look at getting a new PSU for example this one would be fine, I have one of them and it is very powerful and does a very good job best PSU I have ever owned. :thumb: are you overclocking any components?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked on ATI'S web site and it says that the recommended PSU for that GFX card is 550W. The GFX card could not be getting enough power from the PSU wich could be causing this problem. If the problems continue after a reinstall of the OS, then I would look at getting a new PSU for example this one would be fine, I have one of them and it is very powerful and does a very good job best PSU I have ever owned. :thumb: are you overclocking any components?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Wiz

Thanks Wiz..

No i haven't overglocked anything because i don't know how to do it. Want to but its too risky :p Think i am gonna get a bigger PSU, but i think it's strange because i got this pc from a review.
Just installed and no freez so far but gonna test some games in a couple of hours..

Thanks for the Help mr wiz

Reaction score
naLor said:
Thanks Wiz..

No i haven't overglocked anything because i don't know how to do it. Want to but its too risky :p Think i am gonna get a bigger PSU, but i think it's strange because i got this pc from a review.
Just installed and no freez so far but gonna test some games in a couple of hours..

Thanks for the Help mr wiz

You're very welcome mate :)

Keep me posted on how it goes, good luck.

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
wizkid said:
You're very welcome mate :)

Keep me posted on how it goes, good luck.

Regards,

Wiz

Ok i will.. I am busy installing some drivers, updates and WoW so i can test it.. 550 Watt is needed for the Crossfire but i dont have that, i use it single. no $$ for the crossfire :p

Tonight i will post on how it goes by far ok mate.. cheers and thanks alot

:nod:

Reaction score
Hey mate, ran some mem tests and some more tests but still the same... getting tired of it.. Its a week old and it seems like my mobo isn't good, 1 mem bus is broke and changed it and still hangers. Monday i''m going to change my PSU to 620W and change the GFX only for sure.

So next news will be on monday or tuesday.

have a nice weekend

Reaction score
naLor said:
Hey mate, ran some mem tests and some more tests but still the same... getting tired of it.. Its a week old and it seems like my mobo isn't good, 1 mem bus is broke and changed it and still hangers. Monday i''m going to change my PSU to 620W and change the GFX only for sure.

So next news will be on monday or tuesday.

have a nice weekend

Hi,

Sorry to here that you are still having problems. Have you tried updating the BIOS for your motherboard? When you change the PSU that should correct it as it seems to relate to a power issue. Will wait for next news hope its good news :)

Have a nice weekend,

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi,

Sorry to here that you are still having problems. Have you tried updating the BIOS for your motherboard? When you change the PSU that should correct it as it seems to relate to a power issue. Will wait for next news hope its good news :)

Have a nice weekend,

Regards,

Wiz

Hope it does it.. but i think its my mobo, i've got Gigabyte EP45-DS3 mobo and my RAM gets errors when i use the 3th bus drive so i think its my mobo. Updating my bios, is that the same as flashing ?? I'll try and do that. Hope we can figure this out mate.
I appreciate your help and time.

Greetz

Reaction score
naLor said:
Hope it does it.. but i think its my mobo, i've got Gigabyte EP45-DS3 mobo and my RAM gets errors when i use the 3th bus drive so i think its my mobo. Updating my bios, is that the same as flashing ?? I'll try and do that. Hope we can figure this out mate.
I appreciate your help and time.

Greetz

That does sound like the mobo if you get errors when you use the 3rd bus drive. Have you tried testing one module of memory at a time in a slot that works if all the memory sticks work fine in other slots and don't have errors then this could be the memory controller on the board that is not working correctly, have you made sure that all the slots are clean of dust? BIOS is the same as flashing.

You could either send the motherboard back to where you got it from and ask them to replace it, or you can send it to Gigabyte if you do send it to Gigabyte all they will do is repair it for you. If you do send it back to Gigabyte then they ask for £10 pound admin charge to cover their costs of returning the board back to you, and you have to pay to post it to them as well, there repair service is usually quite good. If you went back to the shop where you brought it from then usually they will refund the postage costs of returning the board.

If you do update your BIOS then I recommend that you make a back up of your old BIOS to a floppy or flash drive.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
Ok, i just red a lot about my mobo in combo with my hd4850... A lot of people have the same problems as me and they also suggested that you update the BIOS.
ATi also said that there was a bad production line in this card so it could be a shitty card.. will update the bios now for a while and see what happends.. if this is the same after that i will bring my pc to the store and leave it there. They can test and see what happends.

Cheers mate hope you have a nice evening.

Greets from holland

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

How did the testing go with the other PSU? Did you update your BIOS?

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

How did the testing go with the other PSU? Did you update your BIOS?

Regards,

Wiz

Wiz my man,

got some huge problems with pc :) so i took it back to the store... i flashed my bios and it seemed like it worked until i got a hanger and blue screen 24/7, so that was it for me.
Now they are testing my hardware and i just got a reply that everything seems normal but at the end the system crashed so thats a good thing for me :D so they can fix that.

Bought the CoolerMaster 620W on your advice so that must be good.. He also said that i wrongly connected my gfx power to my PSU....

Sorry i didn't reply mate, on this laptop i dont have anything and i get frustrated bout this speed :(

Greetz Rolán

Will keep u up to date ok

Reaction score
naLor said:
Wiz my man,

got some huge problems with pc :) so i took it back to the store... i flashed my bios and it seemed like it worked until i got a hanger and blue screen 24/7, so that was it for me.
Now they are testing my hardware and i just got a reply that everything seems normal but at the end the system crashed so thats a good thing for me :D so they can fix that.

Bought the CoolerMaster 620W on your advice so that must be good.. He also said that i wrongly connected my gfx power to my PSU....

Sorry i didn't reply mate, on this laptop i dont have anything and i get frustrated bout this speed :(

Greetz Rolán

Will keep u up to date ok

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and the update.

The Cooler Master 620W psu will do you fine, did you check to make sure that you downloaded the correct BIOS for that board? I hope that you get your pc back and its fixed and working again. How did you connect the GFX card to the PSU? I would had thought from what you were saying was happening this is the motherboard and GFX card, so the shop should replace this.

Look forward to hearing from you when its all fixed. :)

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
Uhm mate !

I connected it with the 4point cable ins tead of the 6point :)

Yeah i hope it will be fixed, i guess i got my pc back tomorrow or monday.. I guess my MOBO is broke because i had errors on mem test in bus number 1 and 3.
I used the good updates :) after this update it seemed all good, i played for about 4 hours without problems and then it gave me the famous blue screen.

I got some side questions if its ok.

We have 3 connected pc's (Windows XP) at home and one Noteback with WLAN and Windows Vista. Now i want to use the shared printer on my vista notebook that is connected to one of the pc's with XP.
I disabled my firewall and security centre so i can see the shared files on the xp pc's and i also can see the printer when i browse with explorer. When i want to add a new printer it sais that he cant see the Network name. i find it quite strange because he is connected to the same workgroup so...

Also, do you have a site or something where i can make a nice PC specs like you ? :) so i can show it to you.

Thanks for everything mate, really appreciate it.

Rolán

Reaction score
naLor said:
Uhm mate !

I connected it with the 4point cable ins tead of the 6point :)

Yeah i hope it will be fixed, i guess i got my pc back tomorrow or monday.. I guess my MOBO is broke because i had errors on mem test in bus number 1 and 3.
I used the good updates :) after this update it seemed all good, i played for about 4 hours without problems and then it gave me the famous blue screen.

I got some side questions if its ok.

We have 3 connected pc's (Windows XP) at home and one Noteback with WLAN and Windows Vista. Now i want to use the shared printer on my vista notebook that is connected to one of the pc's with XP.
I disabled my firewall and security centre so i can see the shared files on the xp pc's and i also can see the printer when i browse with explorer. When i want to add a new printer it sais that he cant see the Network name. i find it quite strange because he is connected to the same workgroup so...

Also, do you have a site or something where i can make a nice PC specs like you ? :) so i can show it to you.

Thanks for everything mate, really appreciate it.

Rolán

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

What I did to get my specs was to type them out in Word and then change the front and colour, then in the User Control Panel on this site to the left you can up load your specs into the signature section. Once they are in there they will be displayed on every post that you make.

I am not to good with networking I'm afraid, have you tried using the wizards that are built into windows? Have you got any other securty programs running whilst trying to do this? like a Anti Viurs? Have you tried going into My Network places and going into the PC that the printer is connected to and then trying to install the printer that way be cilcking on it?

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Wiz

Ask a Question