Got "access denied" to all .msc files (such as services.msc, etc.)

shimh

On one of a domain member computer, I got "access denied" error when trying
to open all .msc files in Administrative Tools, such as services.msc,
compmgmt.msc, etc.. I can access those functions by using this method
though: run mmc and then add the snap-in. So I think it maybe not permission
issue. All other domain computers do not have this issue. Any idea how to
fix it? Thanks.

Mehran

Hi,

I have encountered the exact same problem. This happened after I rebooted
the server last week, just prior this reboot the server installed the
following Microsoft Updates;
KB948745, KB49014, KB950762, KB950974, KB951066, KB951072-v2, KB951698,
KB951746, KB951748, KB952954 and KB938464.
I could be wrong, but check to see if you have recently had any of these
updates installed, and that may give us some clues.

Regards
Mehran

shimh

Thanks, Mehran. My computer is a windows xp professional in a domain. Just
checked the computer, and it has all the listed updates except the first two
(KB948745, KB49014).

Joined
Nov 3, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

"shimh" wrote:

> On one of a domain member computer, I got "access denied" error when trying
> to open all .msc files in Administrative Tools, such as services.msc,
> compmgmt.msc, etc.. I can access those functions by using this method
> though: run mmc and then add the snap-in. So I think it maybe not permission
> issue. All other domain computers do not have this issue. Any idea how to
> fix it? Thanks.
I have the same issue with three servers after appliying the windows security updates. I have checked privileges, policies, spyware, viruses, last windows updates and haven't been able to fix this issue.

I have two ways to execute the msc files: with runas and through MMC, adding the desired span-in. This workaround works but is not a solution.

Any one has found a fix for this problem?

Joined
Nov 4, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Associate MMC.EXE with .msc files

Hey guys, I have had the same problem. I was just changing the properties of all my shortcuts to .MSC files when I had a problem with the ISA Server icon. Then I went to the ISA Server folder and asked to open msisa.msc, it asked me for the program to opne the file and then I noticed that, for some odd reason, MMC.EXE was not associated with .MSC extension files. I associated again and since then had no more problems opening my shortcuts to .msc files.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jose.

Joined
Nov 4, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
FirstoneVorlon - Good Show!

This is how u crack issues ... Thanks man we are struggling this from past 1 months and the same issue was open/reported on almost 25 forums without any perfect solution. Good man . thanks a lot.
Its working fine :)

Joined
Nov 4, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm very glad I could be of assistance. I was very worried at first, because I could only think of a virus infection or OS corruption (well, not that those things ever happen with Windows right!!!!!! hahahhhahah). When I saw you guys posting here I noticed there was more people with the very same problem, which lead me to look for a solution.
GOD BLESS THE INTERNET!!!!!!
Good luck to you all and let's keep the solutions flowing, because the problems will always find their way to our systems......
Regards.
Jose.

Joined
Nov 3, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
FirstoneVorlon, thank you. I wasted too many hours troubleshooting this issue. With your solution de problemas is now fixed.

Oddly, Microsoft doesn't have any info on this issue.

I guess that, from now on, I will have to close my eyes, cross my fingers and click on Update hoping that the "update" will not breake anything else.

Thanks again, FirstoneVorlon.

FirstoneVorlon said:
Hey guys, I have had the same problem. I was just changing the properties of all my shortcuts to .MSC files when I had a problem with the ISA Server icon. Then I went to the ISA Server folder and asked to open msisa.msc, it asked me for the program to opne the file and then I noticed that, for some odd reason, MMC.EXE was not associated with .MSC extension files. I associated again and since then had no more problems opening my shortcuts to .msc files.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jose.

bkuehner

I just ran into this problem on an XP system that is not part of a domain. I
checked the file properties of the .msc files and noticed that they were all
set to open with "Unknown application". So I set them to open with Microsoft
Management Console, by going to the file Properties, and on the General tab,
clicking "Change..." (next to "Opens with"). I then clicked "Browse..." and
navigated to "c:\windows\system32\mmc.exe", clicked "Open", hit "OK", and
then closed the Properties dialog. After that, the .msc applications seem to
work properly.
I am not certain how this association was broken, as I'm sure I did not
change it directly. Perhaps a Microsoft patch broke it, or maybe some other
application did.

Chris

Thanks very much for this quick fix. I Googled on "access denied to all .msc
files". This is the first forum that popped up.

Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
1.) Remove any malware/adware in your computer

2.) remove .msc exetention entry from registry
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.msc

3.)double click on any .msc file and Open With
c:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe

Enjoy :)

Joined
Nov 10, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Thanks

Thank you for the solution, I was ready to format my pc before reading the solution you posted.
Keep up the good work!

Javier

Muchas gracias, eso soluciono mi problema.

La mejor solucion.... the small solution for the big problem

ragmyn

Thanks Ramesh.

I have this problem with my Win 2K3 x64 member server. I need a
suggestion, Shall I export the .msc key from an working Win 2K3 server and
merge the keys with the problematic server.???

Suggestions and criticism are highly solicited.

ragmyn.

Ramesh Srinivasan said:
Another option:

"Restore default associations for MSC files"

The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

bkuehner said:
[...]

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Hi ragmyn,

Yes. That should work! However, ensure that the file paths / drive-letter in
the target system is same as in the source computer.

:

[...]

Nov 22, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Joined just now for one good reason -> to thank FirstOneVolon for the MMC.exe tip, reinstating the *.msc files into the console.

Those notorious Windows messages are at best misleading and sending people off in the wrong direction - again and again....and...will they ever learn!

regards
/Cheesehorse

Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who posted. Especially FirstoneVorlon and bkuehner.

I had the same problem on a Windows XP system with the latest updates.

It does seem like a Windows update may be the culprit. This thread http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1001582 seems to point to one of the updates in SP3. Thread Summary: This user was able to open an .msc file after uninstalling SP3.

Note: When I checked my File Associations (Start - My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - File Types (tab)) I had the following association:

MSC - Common Microsoft Console Document

Which normally is correct... but after re-associating it (Highlight MSC - Change - (and as bkuehner stated) Browse - Navigate to "c:\windows\system32\mmc.exe" - Click to Highlight "mmc.exe" - Open - OK).

It is now:

MSC - MSC File

And more importantly... .MSC files now open properly!

-So an easy way to Accomplish the change would be... (I am big into numbered directions)

1. Click on the Start (button) --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools
2. Right-Click on "Services" (shortcut) --> Open With...
3. (If it is not already checked) Click to checkmark the "Always use this selected program to open this type of file"
4. Click on the Browse (button)
5. Navigate to "c:\windows\system32\mmc.exe"
6. Click to Highlight "mmc.exe"
7. Click on the Open (button)
8. Click on the OK (button)

(Please let me know if anything here is incorrect/needs to be changed.)

There are several ways to do this. You could also go through "File Types" (above) to make the change.

THANKS AGAIN! I REALLY appreciate the help!

Sincerely, Lawtech

P.S. Heh... nothing like a forum time-out to bite you after you are done typing a long response. Heh.
wallbash.gif
I forgot that the best way to type up long responses is using a word processor then cut-pasting. Go Go this Message take 2! :) ...

TysonPMiller

On one of a domain member computer, I got "accessdenied" error when trying
to open all .mscfiles in Administrative Tools, such as services.msc,
compmgmt.msc, etc..  I canaccessthose functions by using this method
though: run mmc and then add the snap-in.  So I think it maybe not permission
issue.  All other domain computers do not have this issue.  Any idea how to
fix it?  Thanks.

hope this helps somebody, I found out what the issue was. Also, this
would happen with *ALL* .msc files, services.msc, gpedit.msc,
diskmgmt.msc, etc.

It seems some virus, spyware or some other malware substituted this
Registry Key [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSCFile\Shell\Open\Command] from a
REG_EXPANDABLE_SZ type to a REG_SZ, hence the "Access is denied"
because that wouldn't allow to form a proper command.

The solution is to remove the Key and recreate it by importing the
following into the Registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSCFile\Shell\Open\Command]

@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,
00,74,00,25,\

00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,6d,
00,6d,00,\

63,00,2e,
00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,22,00,25,00,31,00,22,00,20,00,25,00,2a,\

00,00,00