ownership full control (Access Denied)

Paul Branon

I've done all this and still no permission to delete these files!!!!
where {files} represents the names of individual files

[1]
C:> net user administrator /active:yes
log out/log back in as administrator
del {files} access is denied

[2]
takeown /f {files}
files now owned by user "me\Administrator"
del {files} access is denied

[3]
Folder > {files} > Properties > Security > Advanced
Allow Administrators (me) Full control
Allow System Full control
Allow Administrators (me) Full control
(ie, I already have full control of these files & the folder they're
in)
del {files} access is denied

How do I delete these damn files?!!!! (Aaaah!!!)

Gene E. Bloch

I've done all this and still no permission to delete these files!!!!
where {files} represents the names of individual files
[1]
C:> net user administrator /active:yes
log out/log back in as administrator
del {files} access is denied
[2]
takeown /f {files}
files now owned by user "me\Administrator"
del {files} access is denied
[3]
Folder > {files} > Properties > Security > Advanced
Allow Administrators (me) Full control
Allow System Full control
Allow Administrators (me) Full control
(ie, I already have full control of these files & the folder they're
in)
del {files} access is denied

How do I delete these damn files?!!!! (Aaaah!!!)

Have you tried safe mode or safe mode with command prompt?

Have you tried a Linux live CD?

Beyond those I have no ideas, sorry.

It shouldn't be so hard :)

Paul Branon

It may not be a case of permissions or ownership but their respective file handles being
held open.

Funnily enough, Dave, I think you're onto something here. Earlier I
did try to move the files onto a Samba share and it looked as though
it was working right up until the last second, when the move failed
with the error

"Files are in use by another application."

Thinking I had that covered I rebooted the box imagining that this
would close the other application, (whatever that might have been,)
and I could then log back in and delete the files. Only it didn't
work. I still can't delete them.

How do I identify and eliminate stale windows vista file handles?

webster72n

"Paul Branon" wrote in message

I've done all this and still no permission to delete these files!!!!
where {files} represents the names of individual files

[1]
C:> net user administrator /active:yes
log out/log back in as administrator
del {files} access is denied

[2]
takeown /f {files}
files now owned by user "me\Administrator"
del {files} access is denied

[3]
Folder > {files} > Properties > Security > Advanced
Allow Administrators (me) Full control
Allow System Full control
Allow Administrators (me) Full control
(ie, I already have full control of these files & the folder they're
in)
del {files} access is denied

How do I delete these damn files?!!!! (Aaaah!!!)

You might want to try 'Google', or any of the other search engines.
They just may be files that can't be deleted, either.
Best of luck,

Harry.

Paul Branon

[...]

They're just video files. They're not system files and they're not
part of the OS

Perhaps we should get back to Dave's point about the file handles
being left open. Because I suspect that's where the answer is going to
be.

Paul Branon

From: "Paul Branon" <[email protected]>

What are the paths to the file(s) ?

What might have them open ?

Process Explorer may be able to help determine, if the file handles are held open, what
software is holding the file handles open.

I'll have a look. Thanks.

pjp

webster72n said:
[...]

I've read some of this thread and am surprised no one has mentioned
"Unlocker". I often have this problem and it allows me to do what I want
with the file, e.g. delete, rename etc.

[...]

Definitely!