Google Map Street View

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Google Street View is now available in the UK, and covers large parts of major cities. I've just tried it out in Manchester and I can see my flat on it (but not into the windows!).

To try it out, go to maps.google.co.uk and find a place in a town you want to view. Then click and drag the orange man icon above the +/- slider on to a street. If it lights up blue, you can use street view.

If it isn't available for you, try clicking the link below which puts you on Westminster Bridge:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&l...gqMWI9GGXRq5Pw&cbp=12,240.95638732342726,,0,5

It's very clever, but I bet this causes problems for some people. I've noticed that google tries to blur out faces and reg places, but doesn't get them all.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Google Street View is now available in the UK, and covers large parts of major cities. I've just tried it out in Manchester and I can see my flat on it (but not into the windows!).

To try it out, go to maps.google.co.uk and find a place in a town you want to view. Then click and drag the orange man icon above the +/- slider on to a street. If it lights up blue, you can use street view.

If it isn't available for you, try clicking the link below which puts you on Westminster Bridge:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&l...gqMWI9GGXRq5Pw&cbp=12,240.95638732342726,,0,5

It's very clever, but I bet this causes problems for some people. I've noticed that google tries to blur out faces and reg places, but doesn't get them all.

Nice find..I just looked out the window and the cars that are shown in the pic are the same as those that are there...Think the face blocking might be a safety thing though..

Reaction score
Just had another look and entered a few different post codes...Seem sit only works in area's with camera's....lol and living in London there are a sh*t load of camera's

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Interesting. Looks to me that they're archive pix though cos I'm looking at scaffolding that isn't there anymore.

No camera close to me, just one at the end of the street.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
No camera close to me, just one at the end of the street.

Very intereseting that..Just looke up me daughters post code and it shows a pic looking direct at her front door..Funny though there is no camera there..Its about 200m down the road.....mmmmmm

Reaction score
Hiya,

I read an article a while ago whilst this was being released in the states that a lot of the map/camera footage they have used has actually been collected by 'google cars' basically cars/vans that have been kitted out with camera's to collect the data, not sure how accurate that is, but it seem's feasable i guess!?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Mike the tech guy said:
I read an article a while ago whilst this was being released in the states that a lot of the map/camera footage they have used has actually been collected by 'google cars' basically cars/vans that have been kitted out with camera's to collect the data, not sure how accurate that is, but it seem's feasable i guess!?

Yep, that's the one :) They drive cars around with cameras on the top - you can see reflections in the windows of photos if you look close :thumb:

Reaction score
My house is obscured by trees as they did not go down the service road, just took pics from the main road!!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Nobody in particular said:
Apparently there is one of a Gentleman walking into a sex shop... caught red handed - I bet his wife wasn't happy.
laughingsmiley.gif

You never know - maybe she sent him !!!!! :D

Reaction score
Cant get google street view down here. :( Looks really good though been looking at London and the details are really clear.

Reaction score
moan moan moan that is all I hear in this thread come on guys rate this thing it is brilliant. I can actually spot some people that I know lol

Reaction score
Really cool this! They have done our close around a year ago by the looks of it as my Dads old car is on there.

I don't see a problem with this as long as google log what users are looking at.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If I saw myself on Google Map, I'd be dead chuffed :D

All these peeps not wanting to be seen - they must have something to hide...

Perhaps Mrs Smith is with Mr Jones.... but only on Wednesdays :eek:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
lol, but what a way to get caught!

Ask a Question