Good time to get a Rover?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just wondering if it might be a good time to get a Rover, considering their sad downfall?

I'm going to be after a car in a few months, but with Rovers future looking very bleak, would it be good time to go and buy one. I'm sure the Rover garages must be very worried about their future at the moment so would be knocking quite a bit off the prices (and spare parts shouldn't be a problem I assume).

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
they will probably be sold off at a knocked down price but what happens if you need some spare parts ?? the manufacturers wont need to make them as the factories wont need them so they may be hard to come by

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Ian

I had a Rover 25 for about 3 years (company car). Nice to look at/lovely colour but a nightmare in terms of things going wrong with it. Failed its first MOT which takes some doing! Also, when raining, the inside would steam up as there has been a problem with the door and window seals.

Hope you get something nice at a good price!

Gabriella x

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Being the Old Git I am I remember what they used to be called ... British Leyland. :D

:p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Old Rovers = good (Up to 1978) ;)

New Rovers = in light of current developments, I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole.

I'd rather buy a Ford than a Rover right now, how's about a nice little Ka convertible, they look well wicked, and at a good price.

But if I were in the market for a new car, foreign, I'm afraid :(

New Beetle, Peugot, anything Japanese - all good.

Sad, sad, day, when Rover folded :(

What we got left now? Only Morgan, as far as I know.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i only know of a couple of british car manufacturers - noble, tvr, bowler all the others are now owned by ford

Reaction score
psd99 said:
ive learnt this much, never rule the Germans out, i think they have a good selection:

Porsche, Volkswages, Mercedes, BMW, Audi! :)

well I didnt know Vauxhall os now German
but im very sure that it was originally BRITISH!

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Morgan isn't owned by Ford (is it?) tell me this ain't so :(

Mind you, the new Morgan, nice as it is, all modern and stuff, ain't a patch on their old models. They had character.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
i guess its true, us americans are taking over the world... a shame really.
then our military will don masks and black armor and be armed with pulse rifles, andd instead of being called United States Army, we'll call our selves The Combine for short :p

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i think morgan is still british but land rover, jaguar and aston martin are owned by ford

Reaction score
There are some small car companies still here.

For example there is Caterham 7 which is right down the road from me, not sure if anyone has heard of them though but they are good cars. There is also a British company called Noble which I have seen on Top Gear a few times.

As for rover it is very sad but I can’t say it is much of a surprise.

Reaction score
of course its right in my face and I have one

VAUXHALL ................

British MOTORING AT ITS BEST!!! :)

:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
psd99 said:
of course its right in my face and I have one

VAUXHALL ................

British MOTORING AT ITS BEST!!! :)

Is that not German :confused:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Opel = Vauxhall = Yep, German. :p

actually, not quite!

Vauxhall are in partnership with Opel, along with Holden (in Australia). these three companies are all owned by...wait for it......General Motors.

yep, you guessed it, another US company. AFAIK, they also own Daewoo (i think they're being rebranded Chevrolet now?) and have something to do with Suzuki as well.

in other words, they own pretty much everything that Ford don't.

Reaction score
RedeyesUK said:
actually, not quite!

Vauxhall are in partnership with Opel, along with Holden (in Australia). these three companies are all owned by...wait for it......General Motors.

yep, you guessed it, another US company. AFAIK, they also own Daewoo (i think they're being rebranded Chevrolet now?) and have something to do with Suzuki as well.

in other words, they own pretty much everything that Ford don't.

cool

but was Vauxhall British on day one?

are their roots British?

Reaction score
Yes, they started as a british company (based in Luton). no idea how long GM have been running it!

Reaction score
RedeyesUK said:
Yes, they started as a british company (based in Luton). no idea how long GM have been running it!

good stuff

british heritage there then!

Reaction score
psd99 said:
good stuff

british heritage there then!

the heritage is there, sure, but that's about it. the Luton plant is now closed, i think most Vauxhalls are made in Spain now :mad:

TBH, i don't think the industry is as bad as everyone makes out. although most companies are foreign-owned, there are still a lot of companies that are percieved as british, ie Jaguar, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce etc - and still build their cars here.

and i know i'd rather own an Aston Martin than a Vauxhall anyday!
(if anyone wants to buy one for me, i'll have This one, if that's alright :D )

well you never know...

Ask a Question