Good and bad software

Reaction score
I was wondering if you could tell me some of the worst and best pieces of software you have used and why they are either good or bad.

Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Real Player is one of the worst for me - buggy, loads lots of useless items on startup, very limited - the list goes on!

The best, probably Macromedia Dreamweaver :)

Reaction score
Real Player is one of the worst for me also.....a real pain in the butt!!!!
the best one for me and has been for some time now> Ulead photo express 3.0 old as it may be it has all the features I requier for scanning >resizing/enhancing photos/docs etc:

Reaction score
So whats wrong with real player? Is it difficult to play music, burn cd's anr videos? What types of bugs does it have?

Reaction score
stuartw101 said:
So whats wrong with real player? Is it difficult to play music, burn cd's anr videos? What types of bugs does it have?

It crashes/freezes/compromises>PCs:nod: but the worse thing is trying to uninstal from PCs:nod: I found out the hard way:( don`t know if it is still full of spyware? as I have not used it for quite a few years now. IMHO It is In no way a substitute for WMP.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I won't install Real Player cos it's crap. Which is a bit annoying cos the BBC and many other websites only let you view their video footage and access their audio files using Real Player :mad: And I thought the BBC had class...

But, worst bit of software EVER?

Nortons Anti-Virus, without any question of a doubt.

Good stuff? Um, Photoshop I like; Audiograbber; dbPowerAmp; Pinnacle Studio 9 works well for me; Nero, most definitely; DVD Shrink and Crap Cleaner, off the top of me head :)

(I'm just talking Windows stuff here, haven't used Linux software much yet, but The Gimp is good, from what little I've used of it)

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
I'm sort of with floppy and Ian.

The worst is Norton ( followed closely by AOL)

The best, Dreamweaver, what a piece of work that is!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I never used Nortons, and what with all the trouble it causes people who visit here. I aint gonna touch it with a barge pole!! :p

Realplayer sucks the big one too, and i found out the hard way..... Enough said.
I like that alternative though.... :thumb:

The best that i use are Antivir, Paint Shop Pro, CCleaner is great.

I also like Winamp, only just started using that though, so time will tell.

Probably forgot loads, may post again when i get home. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to Alternate Real Player Ian.

I already have Alternate Media Player installed on one machine, I downloaded and installed it to watch mp4 files. Quicktime and Nero Showtime also play mp4 files.

I shall give that Alternate Real Player a go when next I need to use a substitute for Real Player.

VR: Ah yes, Winamp, I forgot to mention that, I've been using it for over five years now, have tried others but always come back to Winamp. I like I-Tunes as well, but Winamp is da biz :)

Here's the skin I use, Denon Antique:

Attachments

• winamp.jpg
    winamp.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 146

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So far i am impressed with Winamp, After using WMP10 for the last however long it does take a bit of getting used to, and i still need to reprogram the media buttons on my k/b.

I think Wimamp's sound quality during playback is way better than WMP.

I like that skin Flop's, looks very slick, and Cradle of Filth too! :D

EDIT: more good software to have must be SpywareBlaster and Firefox.
nod.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
One for the bad...

NORTON

and i havent heard great things about Starforce drivers, cause alot of hassle.

Reaction score
I use Norton Anti Virus 2006 SE, but only as it's free with google pack. But i find it does the job. I do find Zone Alarm firewall is good, as is AdAware & Spybot.

Ask a Question