Go to "username" directory instead of desktop from myDocs

J

jscoles

When I open My documents, and am in explorer, I want the up directory button
to take me to c:\documents and settings\username\ instead of the desktop.
Is this possible?

--

- Jonathan Scoles
- - - - -
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. "
- Tom Clancy

K

Keith Miller

Not if you're opening My Documents via the start menu or the built-in desktop shortcut --- a look at
the folder pane will show you that the system sees the desktop as the parent folder.

If My Documents is opened from a user-created shortcut which has as its target the full path to the
folder, you will get the behavior you desire.

I just discovered that how you create the shortcut will make a difference. If you create a new
shortcut via right-click-> New -> Shortcut and type or paste the target of ""C:\Documents and
Settings\UserName\My Documents", the shortcut will still be rooted at the desktop when opened!?!?!
But if you create the shortcut by right-clicking the "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My
Documents" folder in an explorer window and then use either of the following:
'Copy' followed by 'Paste Shortcut'
'Send To' -> 'Desktop (Create Shortcut)'
you will have the full path in the address bar & the 'up' button will work as desired. (This is
really odd because the properties of the shortcuts are identical as far as I can tell!!!) You could
put a shortcut like this on the desktop (and hide the built-in one) or on the quick-launch bar.

You also might find it handy to place a shortcut with "C:\Documents and Settings\Username" or
%USERPROFILE% as its target in the My Documents folder. That way if you find yourself in a
desktop-rooted folder, you can still access the profile directory easily.

Keith

Ask a Question