Ghost from Slow IDE to SCSI caused License problem

Hi
I've ghosted (Ghost 2003 r2) my IDE (SATA) drive to a SCSI (UTRA160 on a Adaptec 39160 controler) drive for speeding up the system. However I get this error on the new drive after loging
A Problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code:0x8009000
the windows title is "Widows Product Activation
and I'm preventing from loging into the system

I need to figure out how to fix this. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Have you booted to xp cd,then installed the scsi or raid drivers when
the text appears.For moreinfo on raid or scsi go to technet at microsoft.com,
type:RAID Drive or similiar in search,they should get you going.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
This is a drive letter change which is what is causing the error.
Since the registry contains a pointer to the guid on the hard drive to
assign the drive, when the hard drive was changed out the new drive will
have a new guid. Since it has a new guid it gets a new drive letter.
So when you try to load Windows XP, some of the registry points to dll
using explicit paths. c:\windows\system\foo.dll for example. Since your
new drive is now g: for example foo.dll only exists at
g:\windows\system32\foo.dll. So the dll cannot load, since the dll cannot
load, you will get errors like the one listed below.
See the following article about how to change the drive lettering back:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223188

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SG9vdGFu?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Ghost from Slow IDE to SCSI caused License problem
| Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:41:07 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Hi,
I've ghosted (Ghost 2003 r2) my IDE (SATA) drive to a SCSI (UTRA160 on a
Adaptec 39160 controler) drive for speeding up the system. However I get
this error on the new drive after loging:
A Problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for
this computer. Error Code:0x80090006
the windows title is "Widows Product Activation"
and I'm preventing from loging into the system.

I need to figure out how to fix this. If anyone could help it would be
greatly appreciated.

Andrew
Thanks for the input. Before I actually went ahead and used Ghost, I had installed the new SCSI card and had window recognized it. Then I ghosted the drive to a new HD on that SCSI controller. I have done it a lot before when we upgraded our systems that had Windows2000 pro and windows 2000 server. But somehow the licensing engine in WindowsXP is creating this problem. So I'm pretty sure it's not the controller being recognized

Any other ideas
thanks
Hootan

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
So does Ghost copy over the drive guid and replace it on the new drive
after you add it back in? Guids should never be duplicated in a system or
you will have other problems. The drive letter is based off the registry
entries, they determine what the drive letter is The drive letter isn't
stored anywhere on the drive only the guid could be on the drive. I have
seen other people run Ghost and have this exact problem and it was thte
drive letter.
If you run sysprep, we strip out the registry entries for the drive letters
and the guids, so we do not have this issue, then the new guid is assigned
to the drive on first boot and since the registry does not contain any
guids, the drive letters are re-enumerated by the OS on first boot. Since
the guid is removed the first available drive letter for hard drives is C,
the first drive is given the drive of C and it works.

This is the exact error code(0x80090006) that is given if the drive letter
is incorrect after a reboot. Licensing is only the messenger in these
cases, the dlls needed to read the licensing info from the drive are not
loaded because they are not at the expected location.. This isn't a
controller error.

Open the registry key under mounteddevices what is there? How many drives
are listed and how many are in your system?

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SG9vdGFu?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Ghost from Slow IDE to SCSI caused License problem
| Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:41:10 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Darrell,

Thanks for the input. I have done it a lot before when we upgraded our
systems that had Windows2000 pro and windows 2000 server. But somehow the
licensing engine in WindowsXP is creating this problem. So I'm pretty sure
it's not the controller being recognized. When we use ghost it keeps that
drive letter intact, if you take the old drive out before turning on the
machine.

I had ghosted this same machinea month ago, when the OS was on a slower
SCSI drive and I moved the OS onto an SATA (serial ATA) drive thinking it
would be fast. But it wasn't fast enough. So now I'm trying to ghost it
onto a fast SCSI drive, but it gives me this error. I wonder if it's
because of the SerialATA.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
I went out and checked queried broadly on this and I can find references to
this exact error message even when using Ghost and not using sysprep. The
answer is to use sysprep or to change the mounteddevices registry entries
that are pointing to the wrong drive letter. You can use mountvol.exe to
list the volume guids on each drive, if the guids are different as they
should be, then they are assigned different drive letters in Windows.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> [...]
| |
| | Darrell,
|
| Thanks for the input. I have done it a lot before when we upgraded our
| systems that had Windows2000 pro and windows 2000 server. But somehow
the
| licensing engine in WindowsXP is creating this problem. So I'm pretty
sure
| it's not the controller being recognized. When we use ghost it keeps that
| drive letter intact, if you take the old drive out before turning on the
| machine.
|
| I had ghosted this same machinea month ago, when the OS was on a slower
| SCSI drive and I moved the OS onto an SATA (serial ATA) drive thinking it
| would be fast. But it wasn't fast enough. So now I'm trying to ghost it
| onto a fast SCSI drive, but it gives me this error. I wonder if it's
| |