Windows XP Getting a file.......

Reaction score
Hey,

I have to get a file off the C: of a machine in work with XP pro. We dont know the password for login and if we dont get the file it means a lot of damn typing for some poor girl!! I know i cant use my trusty windows 98 boot disk cause it is a NTFS and wont see the C:.

Any suggestions guys?

Bodhi.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i know you can use knoppix, if you have a fastish internet connection you can download the ISO

Reaction score
I can help you !

Hello, I can help you I have format my PC yesterday : Xp to Win98, and I used NTFS me too I could not format.

until time I find a program which converted NTFS to FAT32... this program is : Partition Magic 8.0 is a easy program to Partition, and convert NTFS to FAT32.

Reaction score
I had forgotten something

Sorry, I had forgotten something... Dont use the trial version... Use the full version.

Deleted ... not a point this forum can advocate ... regards, Mucks

Good Luck with your problem !

Reaction score
Thanks mate, but i cant start changing the partition. Its a work computer. It is just one file i need to retrieve. Its cool, it is probably more hassle than it is worth to get it.

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
i know you can use knoppix, if you have a fastish internet connection you can download the ISO

How does knoppix work and it may be a stupid question, but what does ISO stand for?

Reaction score

Is it file it which you misses !

Because if you it is it and that it is a file sys, dll, or...

I will be able to send it to you!

Can be :) If have the file you miss

Reaction score
No mate, its not just a system file. It is an important document. If you want i can post you the hard copy and you can type it up for me so i have it on soft copy if you want?! ;-)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you download the ISO (image of a CD) and burn it to a CD in nero, then pop it in the CD drive and it should boot into knoppix if the boot sequence is set to CD first

Reaction score
Ah, i see. So is knoppix just a boot disk basically which lets you see NTFS drives?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
knoppix is a version of linux that runs from RAM so you can read the hard drive but not have to install anything

Reaction score
Hi Me_2001, just a quick question. If you boot from knoppix will it see all the drives including flash memory sticks?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
it should do, although im not sure

Edit: just ran it quick and yes it does :thumb:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I havent tryed this version yet.
Linux SLAX is the Slackware version it reads NTFS and I think it reads USB cause it will live boot from a CD or USB drive.

Ask a Question