Windows XP General Tidyup

Reaction score
Hey,

Just wondering what was the standard way of doing a full computer health check. Im sure Mucks will have some opinions on this. Usually i just do the usual delete temp files, temp internet files, uninstall anything not needed, look in msconfig for stuff starting etc and do adaware and virus scan then maybe defrag.

Im SURE i remember a discussion on here ages ago about a windows util that can be run which lets you clear out a file which windows thinks is your usual loaded software or something. I thought it was called something like "precache" but i think i might have just made that up!!

When posting this i noticed something called Ccleaner which was stick and posted by Mucks, what does that actually do??

Anyone care to go through the steps of a general health check or point out anything ive missed cause this computer is running like a bag of spanners!!

Cheers peeps.

Bodhi.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
On Linux, we do not need to do anything, all 'Cron' jobs are done for you. ;)

On Windows, my personal routine is to ... run CCleaner, run NTREGOPT, Defrag, run ERUNT ... have a smoke. :D

How often? err, when I feel like it. ;)

Reaction score
You are talking in code Mr Mucks. CCleaner i assume just deletes rubbish. What about NTREGOPT (registry optimiser??) and ERUNT??????? No ideas lol.

What about that precache thing? Did i make that up?

Confused haha.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
bodhi said:
You are talking in code Mr Mucks. CCleaner i assume just deletes rubbish. What about NTREGOPT (registry optimiser??) and ERUNT??????? No ideas lol.

What about that precache thing? Did i make that up?

Confused haha.
No, you did not make up the word, but there is nothing you need to do with precache or prefetch, let Windows handle it, it does an OK job

Use Mr Google to find NTREGOPT & ERUNT ... XP is NT 5.1 those 'NT tools' are all anyone needs for XP ;)

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just try Crap Cleaner for starters, it can often make a difference, and a defrag of course.

I use Ccleaner regularly, it does a good job.

Ask a Question