Gaming monitors

Reaction score
Anyone suggest a top quality TFT monitor that is good for gaming? Look at the below £200 price mark.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I am interested in this too i have seen 1 with a 8ms response time but the general consensus is TFT is not very good for gameing,i think a compromise has to be made.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm a staunch CRT man, helps keep the flat warm in winter but a bugger in the summer. :D

However, it wasn't too long ago I was at a computer fair, and saw some pretty nice TFTs that did not hurt my eyes, that's another problem with me, but, they were a little bit more than £200 ... the one I really liked, a Zerox, was £345 :(

You are right to look for 8ms, as that monitor was ... there are quite a few members here that use TFTs, I'm sure they will give you first hand experence.

:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got a TFT which i use for gaming, and I don't mind it at all. The good 8ms TFTs should be able to provide no ghosting or tearing whilst playing fast paced games.

However, it is very much a personal thing. I can quite happily play games on my 18ms TFT, but I do notice they look a bit better on a good CRT. Its something only noticeable when you see them together, as you just get used to it.

I wouldn't even consider a CRT nowadays if I had a choice - TFTs are getting closer in price all the time (Good 19" TFTs for around £200, and very good 17" TFTs for well under £200).

Quad wrote a good article on CRT vs LCD/TFT last year, which is in the articles section. Thats worth a read if you are trying to decide between them.

Reaction score
Sony 17" SDM HX 73s

Hi all!

I have seen some TFT's one on HP site and one in Costco (wholeseller) at Reading. They both have a 17" monitor with a 20 ms refresh. The one in Costco is SDM HX 73s.

How bad/good is a 20ms refresh if one is not gaming all the time??

Regards

Venky

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Im also in the works for a CRT, but i wouldnt mind a LCD either.

Reaction score
PHILIPS 170B6 17" TFT MONITOR

Dear All...

This seems like a good deal. PHILIPS 170B6 17" TFT MONITOR, for 200 pounds

The perhaps only drawback is that it is available from PC World!
PCW does not mention the response time, but if i do a google on it, i find many sites mentioning an 8 ms response time... if that be the case (can someone confirm please?) then this is a good deal for a 17" TFT, no?

Regards

Venky

Full specs for the monitor from PCWorld are:

Digital Video Input
- 1280 x 1024 Resolution
- 500:1 Contrast Ratio
- 250cd/m2 Brightness
- Wall Mountable
- USB Port

Specification for this PHILIPS 170B6
Monitor Tube Size 17 inches
Dot Pitch 0.264 mm
Maximum Monitor Resolution 1280 x 1024
Plug & Play Yes
Flat Screen No
On Screen Display Not Specified
Height 377 mm
Width 375 mm
Depth 210 mm
Weight 4.8 kg
Colour Silver
Viewable Screen Size 17 inches

Reaction score
I've found a 19" for under £200. It has a response time of 8ms.

Product Description Samsung SyncMaster 913N - flat panel display - TFT - 19"

Device Type Flat panel display / TFT active matrix

Colour Silver

Dimensions (WxDxH) 41.7 cm x 21.6 cm x 42.5 cm

Weight 6 kg

Diagonal Size 19"

Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch 0.294 mm

Max Resolution 1280 x 1024 / 75 Hz

Colour support Up to 16.2 million colors

Interface VGA (HD-15)

Compliant Standards TCO '03, TUV GS, DDC-2B, EPA Energy Star, ISO 13406-2, NUTEK

Power AC 110/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

Power Consumption Operational 38 Watt

Manufacturer Warranty 3 years warranty

Reaction score
Hello Paris...

Where did you find it please? Hopefully in the UK and not in Paris :)

Rgds

Venky

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Guys whatever you buy just keep it in mind that the monitor in question has a DVI input and not just VGA since the technology is moving ahead very fast and VGA is become obsolete soon, the VGA cards also now are coming with DVI output. If you do not have a VGA with DVI still I would urge you to consider since upgrading later will be a problem if the monitor does not have this facility.

Good Luck! :)

Reaction score
Hello Quadophile!

The spec for the Philips 170B6CB - flat panel display - TFT - 17" includes the following and has a response time of 8ms... so i hope it is a good choice.

As i mentioned elsewhere, the only drawback i see is that it is available from PCWorld... and i remember someone mentioning that they wouldn't even buy a bag of nails from them :)

Considering this is a monitor, i don't see what PCW could do to ruin it or change it...oh well... i need one asap so i will get it from them.

Interface
DVI, VGA (HD-15)

Expansion / Connectivity Interfaces:
1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)
1 x DVI-D - 24 pin digital DVI

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yes Philips do make excellent monitors and I do not see why you should not consider it. The model number indicates this is the Busines Class Monitor so it will also be covered by their "Zero Defect Policy".

There is plently of information on this very forum about LCD monitors as many discussions took place recently, I would urge you to do a bit of search using various terms and read up on the various things, including "Zero Defect Policy". I am sure they will come in handy.

Good Luck! :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
PCWord are fine, if YOU know what you're buying ... until you need to replace something ... then the trick is to quote the "Selling regulations" back at ‘em ... :D

Ask a Question