gaming help

Reaction score
hi, ive recently bought a new gaming pc, not the best but its ok. ive been playing world of warcraft on it and never seem to get any problems but i have just bought farcry 2. the game its self runs smooth and the graphics are gd but for some reason after maybe 30 mins the screen goes blank and says no signal, there for having to restart me comp. i will then try to play it again and maybe this time after a hour it will do the same thing. has any 1 got any ideas to y it is doing this... please help thank you

Reaction score
Could be an overheating issue, what are the specs of this computer? Download Core Temp or Speed fan and monitor the CPU temps, its most likely the GFX card overheating. Are you uaing all the latest drivers for your Sound GFX Card? If not then I would advise you to update as this can correct lots of problems.

Edit after doing some looking around on this problem I found out that The game Far Cry 2 requires Shader Model 3 which is a minimum of an ATI 1650.

Regards

Last edited:
Reaction score
hi. thx for getting bk so quick. im not to good and this computing business so ill try to give u all the details bout me comp....processor: intel(R) core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
System Type: 32-bit Operating system
GFX card: NIVIDIA GeForce 9600 gs
thats all i know lol thanks

Reaction score
skinnyb said:
hi. thx for getting bk so quick. im not to good and this computing business so ill try to give u all the details bout me comp....processor: intel(R) core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
System Type: 32-bit Operating system
GFX card: NIVIDIA GeForce 9600 gs
thats all i know lol thanks

I would say that would be fine to run Far Cry 2. What windows are you using? XP or Vista?

Reaction score
Try and update your GFX drivers from here. I can't see any 9600 GS but I Can see an 9600GSO GFX card in the supported product list. If that is the one you have then you can go ahead and download the drivers, before you install any new drivers you need to remove them through add and remove programs, and then run this tool to make sure that alll traces of the old drivers have gone.

Once you have installed the new drivers try running the game. I would all so reconmmend downloading this that will test you GFX card and if you get any fuzzy images or crashing during the test then its the GFX card overheating.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Reaction score
mines 9600 gs so im not shore if the gs0 and my gs are the same. tried to download the software to test me card but think the site must be dodgy at mo not letting me past the terms and conditions keeps saying cannot display page, i will try later on. i mite try to turn all me graphics down on the game just to see if that helps, thx for helping out its realy appreciated. no dought ill get bk to you if im still have problems... :)

Reaction score
skinnyb said:
mines 9600 gs so im not shore if the gs0 and my gs are the same. tried to download the software to test me card but think the site must be dodgy at mo not letting me past the terms and conditions keeps saying cannot display page, i will try later on. i mite try to turn all me graphics down on the game just to see if that helps, thx for helping out its realy appreciated. no dought ill get bk to you if im still have problems... :)

No problem thats what I am here for, you can download 3D Mark 06 from here as well. What settings are you currently running the game on?

Thanks

Reaction score
well the settings were automatically on high so i just set them all to medium bout done the same thing after 20 mins so ill try low stting lol. been searching for drivers for a 9600 gs but only seems to be drivers for gs0 maybe it is the same card.... thanks m8

Reaction score
Have you tried running under compatibility mode? Right click on the shortcut then select properties then compatibility and set it to Windows XP and then click on Disbale Desktop Composition and see if that works.

Thanks

Reaction score
Lots of people are having problems with FC2 at the moment unfortunately

Hopefully a patch will be available soon to solve the issues that are apparent

I mayself have issues with it crashing whilst loading into a new chapter or even starting. The loading icon freezes and at times I have to do a complete system reset because it wont allow me to TAB out

Not good!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hey,

Just to clarify for Wiz, there is an 9600GS, its an OEM version of a 9600GT, similar specs, just used by companies who pre assemble computers for sale as its cheaper, Dell mainly, look for 8600GS same as 8600GT.

Anyway, sounds like overheating or a power problem, leave the side of the case open and try to keep an eye on the fan on the graphics card when playing Farcry 2.

If it still shuts off it won't be overheating unless the fan has stopped or is spinning slowly.

Also what size power supply is in there??? Less than 400 - 450 Watt will be issue.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Hey,

Just to clarify for Wiz, there is an 9600GS, its an OEM version of a 9600GT, similar specs, just used by companies who pre assemble computers for sale as its cheaper, Dell mainly, look for 8600GS same as 8600GT.

Anyway, sounds like overheating or a power problem, leave the side of the case open and try to keep an eye on the fan on the graphics card when playing Farcry 2.

If it still shuts off it won't be overheating unless the fan has stopped or is spinning slowly.

Also what size power supply is in there??? Less than 400 - 450 Watt will be issue.

Thanks WF, :)

Regards,

Wiz

Ask a Question