games minimising to desktop

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... for some reason, out of the blue, I have my only two games I play minimising to the desktop from full screen mode.

Both GuildWars2 & Lord of The Ring Online have, several times today, minimised to the desktop ... running off a cliff or into an Elite group while minimised is not, err, fun!

when playing LoTRO, one cannot get to the desktop without an open running program in the background, minimised to the taskbar doesn't work either ... so that's a bit surprising something is minimising it. :confused:

no changes have been made to either game or the PC, not even rebooted for some time as I crunchie crunch crunch while playing. (rebooted now to post and will restart playing)

There have been NO updates to either game.

There have been NO updates to Windows 7

There have been NO updates to the nVidia drivers.

No, the system is NOT over heating.

If there were a system "problem" I would expect the games to, at best, just close to desktop ... like crash even.

Nope! I'm a bit lost ...

Mr Google is not being helpful.

I don't have Adobe. :rolleyes:

Maybe Skype?

to be continued ...

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Looks like quite a few folk have experienced this (according to Mr Google.) So did you also see the "solution" which has apparently worked for some of them here at Tom's Hardware forum? The post regarding flashing the BIOS, by "mr_dismal" about half-way down. Several peeps reported success after trying it.)

Also... and t's just a very long shot... but is there any possibility that your games happen to share a key-bind for minimising?

(Can imagine how darned annoying this would be :nod: good luck.)

muckshifter

Reaction score
... ah, yes, sorry

I err, rebooted system, seems to be behaving itself ... was strange to start happening out of the blue ... no idea what was the actual cause.

Oh well ... now who shall I kill today. :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
... a wee update, I found the culprit;

Since there is some new nVidia driver out, I updated. The problem is not the drivers themselves. It's messing in the nVidia control panel, don't ask me why it upsets my system, I don't know, but it is definitely the problem.

Was looking for a small annoyance to GW2, slight, on occasions, tearing ... someone recommended a couple of settings that he said fixed his problem ... I think I'll live with mine It only happens occasionally. :)

Resetting any changes & say apply OK was not enough, I had to reboot.

Sorted ... no it's NOT! :mad:

[EDIT] the problem has gone away :rolleyes:

Ask a Question