Game Shuts Down after Rebot

Someone please help I am almost suicidal.

I have so far loaded NWN, The Thing & Unreal II. After initial instalation all games play fine. However if I shut Down and restart I click on the program application, I get the intial splash screen of the game but when I press play it just closes. AHHHH. No error messages or anything!!!!

For some reson this does not occurr when playing Indiana Jones and the Emporers Tomb which always plays fine.

Yes I have installed all the latest drivers and after all the game has played perfectly until re-booted.

Here is my PC spec:

AMD XP 2000
ASUS A7N8X
512 MB Ram
NVIDIA FX 5200 128MB
Windows XP Professional
Creative Audigy
DirectX 09.0b

Help.........................please

Jimmy S.

Hi Gary,

Here are a few causes for games not loading after installed:

1. Kazaa or Kazaa light is installed on your system.
- Uninstall the game(s) and Kazaa, and reinstall from original CD.

2. Multiple CD drives on your system including Virtual CD drives.
- Disconnect all but the main CD drive and try the game. You
might have an older drive, or a CD Writer which is incompatible
with the Safe Disk copy protection on the CD. (Contact Vendor).

3. Your antivirus or application firewall might be conflicting with it.
- Disable the software temporarily.

4. There might be a patch available for your game to correct the issue.
- Try http://www.gonegold.com/patches/ or the manufacturer's site.

5. Your desktop may need to be set at least 800x600 and 16 colors.
- Click Start / (Settings) Control Panel / Click Display

6. Your Video, Sound, or Monitor drivers may need updating.
- Try updating your Video drivers using the instructions at:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers

7. You might be affected by problems similar to the Insert CD error.
- Try the advice and DL at: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228985

8. You might have software running on your system which is causing conflicts.
- Temporarily disable Startup programs one at a time, starting with Firewall,
AV, and ad blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php
You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

I hope some of this advice helps you Gary. Best of luck! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Someone please help I am almost suicidal.
|
| I have so far loaded NWN, The Thing & Unreal II. After initial instalation all games play fine. However if I shut Down and restart
I click on the program application, I get the intial splash screen of the game but when I press play it just closes. AHHHH. No error
messages or anything!!!!

| For some reson this does not occurr when playing Indiana Jones and the Emporers Tomb which always plays fine.
|
| Yes I have installed all the latest drivers and after all the game has played perfectly until re-booted.
|
| Here is my PC spec:
|
| AMD XP 2000
| ASUS A7N8X
| 512 MB Ram
| NVIDIA FX 5200 128MB
| Windows XP Professional
| Creative Audigy
| DirectX 09.0b
|
| Help.........................please

i have tried everything you have said with no joy

Everything plays great when first installed and even if I immediately restarts its perfect

Just when I shut dwn and restart after a while.........................??????/////?

Jimmy S.

Hi Gary,

One thing that caught my eye the second time I read your
original post is this:

"I click on the program application, I get the initial splash screen
of the game but when I press play it just closes. AHHHH. No error
messages or anything!!!!"

Is it possible you're running the installation / setup program off the
CD instead of using the shortcut in your Start menu?
Try both methods for experiments sake.

It could be that your CD ROM can't cope with the copy protection
scheme of the CD. Ask the manufacture's of the game for a "patch".

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

|i have tried everything you have said with no joy.
|
| Everything plays great when first installed and even if I immediately restarts its perfect.
|
| Just when I shut dwn and restart after a while.........................??????/////?

Kogre

Hi Gary.

I have EXACTLY the same problem. People suggest the same
things to me that they did to you but I have not yet
found a solution. I believe the problem lies within
Windows XP. I never had this problem before, I had
Diablo II installed and it worked sweet for months. Then
one day I double clicked the icon for the game and my
drive failed to read the disc, and I didn't get an error
message that I woul;d have expected had the disc not been
in the drive. I have tried disabling my DVD drive and
trying it in my CD drive, and vice-versa, but nothing
works yet.

Should I find a fix for this, I'll let you know straight
away.

*Add my msn account to yours just in case I find a fix
soon ([email protected])
One thing that caught my eye the second time I read your
original post is this:

"I click on the program application, I get the initial splash screen
of the game but when I press play it just closes. AHHHH. No error
messages or anything!!!!"

Is it possible you're running the installation / setup program off the
CD instead of using the shortcut in your Start menu?
Try both methods for experiments sake.

It could be that your CD ROM can't cope with the copy protection
scheme of the CD. Ask the manufacture's of the game for a "patch".

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=FH;[LN];gms
Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=sz;en-us;top

news:4BAFA890-0264-492A-A9A7- (e-mail address removed)...