FrontPage problems

I use FrontPage 2000, and have three problems:

I have assigned an external hyperlink to a Navigation Bar page, checked and
double-checked it, but no matter what I do, the external hyperlink will not
show up in Preview.

Whether I check "button" or "text" in Navigation Bar options, I always get
text. How can I get buttons on my Navigation Bar instead of text?

I have set my Shared Borders to "all pages," but no matter what I do, I
can't get them to show up on my Home page. My Shared Borders show up
perfectly on all pages except my Home Page.

Ronx

Inline below
--
Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (FrontPage)
FrontPage Support: http://www.frontpagemvps.com/

"three FrontPage problems" <three FrontPage
I use FrontPage 2000, and have three problems:

I have assigned an external hyperlink to a Navigation Bar page, checked and
double-checked it, but no matter what I do, the external hyperlink will not
show up in Preview.

Does it show when you Preview in Browser?

Whether I check "button" or "text" in Navigation Bar options, I always get
text. How can I get buttons on my Navigation Bar instead of text?

Graphical buttons will only show when you have applied a theme to the
page or web.
Format->Theme ...
I have set my Shared Borders to "all pages," but no matter what I do, I
can't get them to show up on my Home page. My Shared Borders show up
perfectly on all pages except my Home Page.

Check in HTML view:
Does the Home page have a tag (just above </head>) similar to:
Or does the tag look like
bottom, right. You may want one or all of these to show, and the
letters may be in a different order)
In either case, delete the tag, switch to Normal view, then use
Insert->Shared Borders and tick the box labelled "Reset borders for
current page to web default"

If this still fails, or the tag includes the word "default", then look
through the HTML for broken tags, or tags that are opened and not
closed. Shared Borders place a table structure around the page content,
and this will fail if the structure of the page is faulty.

Thomas A. Rowe

See inline below...

Thomas A. Rowe
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Agents Real Estate Listing Network
http://www.NReal.com

three FrontPage problems said:
I use FrontPage 2000, and have three problems:

I have assigned an external hyperlink to a Navigation Bar page, checked and
double-checked it, but no matter what I do, the external hyperlink will not
show up in Preview.

What do you mean by doesn't show up in preview?
Whether I check "button" or "text" in Navigation Bar options, I always get
text. How can I get buttons on my Navigation Bar instead of text?

You must apply a theme in order to have button images.
I have set my Shared Borders to "all pages," but no matter what I do, I
can't get them to show up on my Home page. My Shared Borders show up
perfectly on all pages except my Home Page.

You home page must be part of navigation view and shared border for the page must be set to use the
web default.

Inline below

Ronx said:
Inline below
--
Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (FrontPage)
FrontPage Support: http://www.frontpagemvps.com/
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp

"three FrontPage problems" <three FrontPage

Does it show when you Preview in Browser?
No

Graphical buttons will only show when you have applied a theme to the
page or web.
Format->Theme ...
OK, thanks.

Check in HTML view:
Does the Home page have a tag (just above </head>) similar to:
Or does the tag look like
bottom, right. You may want one or all of these to show, and the
letters may be in a different order)
In either case, delete the tag, switch to Normal view, then use
Insert->Shared Borders and tick the box labelled "Reset borders for
current page to web default"

If this still fails, or the tag includes the word "default", then look
through the HTML for broken tags, or tags that are opened and not
closed. Shared Borders place a table structure around the page content,
and this will fail if the structure of the page is faulty.

I tried this, and the problem remains. However, I have an "index" page, and no page named "Home" in Page view. In Navigation view, I put the "index" page at the top of the pyramid, then renamed it "Home" there -- but did not rename it "Home" in page view. Did I do something wrong?

Another question: I can get the Navigation Bar button to open a Contact Us
form page, but how do I get it to just launch an email (i.e., just like
"mailto:[email protected]")?

Thomas A. Rowe

The home page of the site must be named as required by your web host. On a disk-based web use either
index.htm or default.htm.