FrontPage - add ability to wrap tag around selected text.

I thought this was going to be going to the Microsoft FrontPage development
team as it said "post a suggestion" . . hhhmmm, not exactly what I expected
being posted to a discussion group . . . oh, well.

In FrontPage 2000 there was a plug-in that added a new button bar that,
among other things, enabled one to select text and then click a "wrap tag"
button that would let you wrap a tag around text. For example, you could
wrap a <span> tag around the text you selected. Instead, I now have to go to
the code to do this.

Jim Cheshire \(JIMCO\)

tenable said:
I thought this was going to be going to the Microsoft FrontPage
development team as it said "post a suggestion" . . hhhmmm, not
exactly what I expected being posted to a discussion group . . . oh,
well.

In FrontPage 2000 there was a plug-in that added a new button bar
that, among other things, enabled one to select text and then click a
"wrap tag" button that would let you wrap a tag around text. For
example, you could wrap a <span> tag around the text you selected.
Instead, I now have to go to the code to do this.

Regarding paragraph 1, what is "it"?

Regarding paragraph 2, what do you mean by "now"? FrontPage 2003 has this
ability.

--
Jim Cheshire
JIMCO

Check out Spam Spoiler, our new add-in!
Add e-mail links to your Web site again
without fear of spammers!

When I said "it", I was referring to the FrontPage 2003 menu item
"Help>Contact Us that takes you to:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus.aspx?App=6

You type in your suggestion and it searches, came back with nothing for my
suggestion and then posts it to this forum.

I have tried to select text and have been unable to find a way to wrap a tag
around selected text. If you can tell me where to click, I would really
appreciate it.

Jim Cheshire \(JIMCO\)

tenable said:
When I said "it", I was referring to the FrontPage 2003 menu item
"Help>Contact Us that takes you to:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus.aspx?App=6

You type in your suggestion and it searches, came back with nothing
for my suggestion and then posts it to this forum.

I have tried to select text and have been unable to find a way to
wrap a tag around selected text. If you can tell me where to click,
I would really appreciate it.

Okay. On that page, it spells out what that is for and it tells you that
it's going to a public forum. :)

As for wrapping a tag, it's the Quick Tag Selector that appears right above
the page in Design view.

--
Jim Cheshire
JIMCO
http://www.jimcoaddins.com

Check out Spam Spoiler, our new add-in!
Add e-mail links to your Web site again
without fear of spammers!

Jens Peter Karlsen[FP MVP]

FP2003 will automatically create a span tag for you if you select some
text and apply formatting to it except for formatting that can be done
inline like selecting bold or italic.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.
Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: FrontPage - add ability to wrap tag around
selected text.
Subject: Re: FrontPage - add ability to wrap tag around selected text.

When I said "it", I was referring to the FrontPage 2003 menu
item "Help>Contact Us that takes you to:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus.aspx?App=6

You type in your suggestion and it searches, came back with
nothing for my suggestion and then posts it to this forum.

I have tried to select text and have been unable to find a
way to wrap a tag around selected text. If you can tell me
where to click, I would really appreciate it.

Regarding paragraph 1, what is "it"?

Regarding paragraph 2, what do you mean by "now"? FrontPage 2003 has
this ability.

--
Jim Cheshire
JIMCO
http://www.jimcoaddins.com

Check out Spam Spoiler, our new add-in!
Add e-mail links to your Web site again without fear of spammers!

This is what I am talking about. Make a sentence of any word length with
more than two words. For example, <p>One two three</p>. Select "two" and
show me how to wrap a <span></span> around it.

I attempted to do what you said and it either wrapped a <font></font> around
the text which is not recomended if you want to use CSS or applied the style
to the <p></p> instead. If I am taking the wrong steps I would be greatful
to know what the correct steps are.

<b> and <i> are not ADA compliant. I think that FrontPage should use

tenable said:
This is what I am talking about. Make a sentence of any word length
with more than two words. For example, <p>One two three</p>. Select
"two" and show me how to wrap a <span></span> around it.

You can't do that without going to code because there is no tag enclosing
the "two". FrontPage has never been able to do that. That's why there's a
Code view.

--
Jim Cheshire
JIMCO
http://www.jimcoaddins.com

Check out Spam Spoiler, our new add-in!
Add e-mail links to your Web site again
without fear of spammers!

Thomas A. Rowe

Jim,

Technically, there should be no reason that FP couldn't be designed to do this since you can select
"two" and have FP surround it with the <b></b> tags or am I missing something related to CSS, since
I don't use really use CSS?

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Murray

No - you're not missing anything. It should be there. Dreamweaver lets you
make any selection, and Ctrl-T will sequentially toggle from Wrap to Edit to
Insert with a corresponding 'edit' window.

Jens Peter Karlsen[FP MVP]

Selecting to highligth the text via the toolbar will enclose the
selected text in span tags so Frontpage is capable of doing this it just
lacks to be implemented for other things than highlighting.

three said:
"two" and show me how to wrap a <span></span> around it.

You can't do that without going to code because there is no
tag enclosing the "two". FrontPage has never been able to do
that. That's why there's a Code view.

--
Jim Cheshire
JIMCO
http://www.jimcoaddins.com

Check out Spam Spoiler, our new add-in!
Add e-mail links to your Web site again
without fear of spammers!

Murray

Right. It's a big convenience, in my opinion, to be able to do more than
highlighting.

--
Murray
============

Thomas said:
Jim,

Technically, there should be no reason that FP couldn't be designed
to do this since you can select "two" and have FP surround it with
the <b></b> tags or am I missing something related to CSS, since I
don't use really use CSS?

Sure, you could design code to do that. It would be quite easy. However,
FrontPage doesn't do that now.

--
Jim Cheshire
JIMCO
http://www.jimcoaddins.com

Check out Spam Spoiler, our new add-in!
Add e-mail links to your Web site again
without fear of spammers!

There is a plug-in for FrontPage 2000 that does this. It is called the HTML
Tag Editor. Microsoft no longer has it on their site, but I have it if you
want to see how it works.

Jim Cheshire \(JIMCO\)

tenable said:
There is a plug-in for FrontPage 2000 that does this. It is called
the HTML Tag Editor. Microsoft no longer has it on their site, but I
have it if you want to see how it works.

Thanks, I've got it. I'm not sure how much demand there would be for an
add-in that does this.

--
Jim Cheshire
JIMCO
http://www.jimcoaddins.com

Check out Spam Spoiler, our new add-in!
Add e-mail links to your Web site again
without fear of spammers!

Stefan B Rusynko

That addin was withdrawn by MS because it often crashed FP (or sent it into slow motion )

--

| There is a plug-in for FrontPage 2000 that does this. It is called the HTML
| Tag Editor. Microsoft no longer has it on their site, but I have it if you
| want to see how it works.
|
| "Jim Cheshire (JIMCO)" wrote:
|
| > Murray wrote:
| > > Right. It's a big convenience, in my opinion, to be able to do more
| > > than highlighting.
| > >

| > If someone wants to go to my contact page and enter details on what you're
| > looking for, I'd be glad to consider it for an add-in.
| >
| > http://www.jimcoaddins.com/contactus.aspx
| >
| > --
| > Jim Cheshire
| > JIMCO
| > http://www.jimcoaddins.com
| >
| > Check out Spam Spoiler, our new add-in!
| > Add e-mail links to your Web site again
| > without fear of spammers!

I am now playing with it in FP2003 and it does add a bit of screen flash, but
has not crashed anything so for now I am getting what I need.

In any case, the ability to select text and wrap a tag around it is very
useful and if Microsoft could add it to the Right+Click or as a button, that
would help a bit.

The plug-in seems to have been given a new life and is out there with new
installation instructions at:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...dd-776b-4b5b-ab97-511d6730a52b&displaylang=en
and http://www.microsoft.com/learning/books/office/officexp/cd/default.asp
on January 7, 2003. I think the older version only worked in FP 2000 and
when you looked in the executable using a ZIP program you see a handful of
files and the new version only contains one DLL you add through FP2003
Tools>Add-Ins.