FrontPage 2003 does not list the folders

G

I have created my site in FrontPage but when I open FrontPage it tells me there are no files in the folder. With out it listing the files I can not up load the to my website. I have tried importing them, thinking they might have been miss placed. I have no problem opening the pages from file menu

What am I doing wrong and how do I correct it

Many thanks, I am exhausted from research

John

G

Yes, I went there and it showed all the files, but still does not list them so they can be up loaded. I appreciate your tip though. I hope you have another one. I will try anything at this point

John

S

Stefan B Rusynko

After you opened your site in FP
Explain "it showed all files" vs. "but does not list them"
- if it showed them, then it listed them
Showed where
Listed where

--

| Yes, I went there and it showed all the files, but still does not list them so they can be up loaded. I appreciate your tip
though. I hope you have another one. I will try anything at this point.
|
| John

G

Hi, thanks for asking me to clarify. It does not show them listed in Local Website so they can be published. It does show them when I click on "open site." But difficult to publish from there

John

S

Steve Easton

I'm a little confused here.!!
You have to have the local site open in order to publish to the remote.

What happens when you have the local site open, if you click File on the FrontPage toolbar and then
select Publish web...

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

John S said:
Hi, thanks for asking me to clarify. It does not show them listed in Local Website so they can be
published. It does show them when I click on "open site." But difficult to publish from there.

T

Tom Pepper Willett

But you must have a web site open: File | Open Web (or Open Site if FP
2003).
I'm a little confused at this point as to what you are doing. What is Local
Website?
--
=====================================================
Tom Pepper Willett [Microsoft MVP - FrontPage]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------
Microsoft FrontPage:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/default.mspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/

=====================================================
| Hi, thanks for asking me to clarify. It does not show them listed in
Local Website so they can be published. It does show them when I click on
"open site." But difficult to publish from there.
|
| John

G

In FrontPage when you go to publish you have the files in the local web site listed on the left and the files for the remote listed on the right. It lists a previous version of my site which I re worked on the right, but no files are listed on the left which is the local website. I can open any file from the top menu "File" and edit or view, but I can not list all the files in order to publish them. I have tried using another FTP program to upload, but then FrontPage did not recognize them and they were useless. The first time I did the website I had FrontPage 2001 and had no problem. What I get for updating to a new and improved version, I guess
John

G

When I open the site with File and click on Publish it opens a new screen, on the left showing the local files and on the left showing the remote files. There are no local files listed. I click on Folders menu at the bottom of the screen and it tell me there are no files in the folder. I can access them from the top File menu, why does it not show them in the Folder file menu

John

S

Steve Easton

Open your local site in FrontPage by opening FrontPage and then selecting File > Open Site... and
browsing to the local web folder if necessary.

Then click Tools > Recalculate Hyperlinks.

When it is done, select File > Publish web and enter http://yourweb.com if your are publishing to a
server with extensions and ftp://yourweb.com if your don't have extensions available.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive

John S said:
In FrontPage when you go to publish you have the files in the local web site listed on the left
and the files for the remote listed on the right. It lists a previous version of my site which I re
worked on the right, but no files are listed on the left which is the local website. I can open any
file from the top menu "File" and edit or view, but I can not list all the files in order to publish
them. I have tried using another FTP program to upload, but then FrontPage did not recognize them
and they were useless. The first time I did the website I had FrontPage 2001 and had no problem.
What I get for updating to a new and improved version, I guess.

G

I'm a little confused.....
You go to file/open site/[local (my webs or whatever)]. With the site open select remote web site on the bottom of your screen. You should see 2 panes. Your local files (C:whatever) in the left pane and your remote files in the right pane. If you only see your remote files in the left pane, you are opening your site "live"

Above the panes there should be a URL listed. Just above that on the remote pane, there is "remote site properties" click it and see where you stand. The panes are a really nice feature added in 2003 that allows you to see exactly where you are at a glance.

W

Wally S

If this is the first time you are publishing with FP 2003, it will
automatically re-publish the whole site.

Wally S

John S said:
I have created my site in FrontPage but when I open FrontPage it tells me
there are no files in the folder. With out it listing the files I can not
up load the to my website. I have tried importing them, thinking they might
have been miss placed. I have no problem opening the pages from file menu.

G

W
Tha is exactly what I have been doing, it was available with the last FrontPage. It has on the left C:\my documtnes|my webs. On the right pane it has the name of my remote website. It list no files in the local site from the C drive. Yet I can access any file from the File menu

I am just as confused as you are and have no way of knowing which direction to go in

John

F

Fuse - News

Try this,

1. Create a new web with no files.
2. Import the web from the directory that isn't showing up.
3. Close and then reopen FP and the new web you just created.

If this fixes the problem, then you can delete the old web that wwas giving
you problems. If this doesn't fix the problem, you can delete this attempt
and be right back where you started.

Worth a try.

John S said:
WP
Tha is exactly what I have been doing, it was available with the last
FrontPage. It has on the left C:\my documtnes|my webs. On the right pane
it has the name of my remote website. It list no files in the local site
from the C drive. Yet I can access any file from the File menu.

G

John
Are you sure you are pointing to the correct location on your local machine
C:\my documents\my webs\[website name
or might be c:\documents and settings\[user]\my documents\my webs\[name
When you open your site, make sure you are opening as similar above
Try browsing for the location or use explorer. Also, when you use file/open, check what directory it is in using the dialog box.

----- John S wrote: ----

W
Tha is exactly what I have been doing, it was available with the last FrontPage. It has on the left C:\my documtnes|my webs. On the right pane it has the name of my remote website. It list no files in the local site from the C drive. Yet I can access any file from the File menu

I am just as confused as you are and have no way of knowing which direction to go in

John

G

Yes, I checked and double checked. The right file is listed at the top but it does not list the folders

John

G

I thought you had a good answer. I tried it, I am back to where I was in the beginning. FrontPage will not open either one for some strange reason. I might remove FrontPage 2003 and install my earlier version and see what happens

Thank you for the suggestion

John

S

Steve Easton

Does the folder containing your web have the Blue Globe icon indicating it is a web folder?

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive

Ask a Question