Frontpage 2002 - keeps asking for password/username

chris mcneil

Hi,

I am unable to access any webs using Frontpage 2002 on
XP. It's been working fine but recently it is unable to
access any website I enter. It either repeatedly asks for
my userid/password or gives a message that the folder is
no longer available. I have had this trouble before and
fixed it by following the directions in Microsoft
Knowledge Base Article - 287402 which deals with web
folders. I followed the directions twice tonight and
uninstalled and reinstalled frontpage and applied all
office updates and I am still unable to access a website
via Frontpage. I'm at my wits end and ready to try another
product to maintain my websites. Any help is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Thomas A. Rowe

Try opening the site in IE, then use the Edit with FP command.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the response. Tried opening it from IE but
the same result. It won't take my password/userid. I know
it's related to web folders as My Network Places doesn't
work either but no clue how to solve it.

Chris

Thomas A. Rowe

Do you have the ability to try from another PC?

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

no. I only have one PC. I'm sure it would work from
another PC. I did a "Detect and Repair" on Outlook last
week and ever since I can't access my webistes with
FrontPage.

Thomas A. Rowe

Have you done a re-install of FP, and then applied all Office Updates?

Note: Any time you re-install Windows or Office applications, or add
additional Office applications, you must also re-apply all Windows or Office
updates

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

yes I have uninstalled and reinstalled Frontpage 2002 and
then applied the Office updates!!!!!! Twice

Thomas A. Rowe

Can you post your URL or drop me an email so that we can make sure it is not
a server problem.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Stefan B Rusynko

Find and delete the network place for the site and the FP web cache file (*.web)
Then try to reopen the site in FP or from IE (Edit w/ FP)

--

| Hi Thomas,
|
| My site is http://www.chrismcneil.com Thanks for your
| help.

I have had the same problem and it occurs on other PCs in addition to mine. I finally had to rebuild my entire site from saved files on a disc into an FTP with a new name and password. It worked, except when you do your site from files from a disc you have no navigation. I had to redo it page by page using the template from my webs. I have a subweb which has the same problem of the password box popping up... the same problem you have... I have tried everything possible and can't access or even change permissions to do anything with it. The entire tech team at my server says it's fine on their end. I, too, am at my wits end. Help!!

Chris McNeil

Thanks. I figured out the original password problem. My
ISP had reset my passwords to ones I used last year
somehow. I tried the original passwords and I can open
the sites.

The problem remains though that I cannot open a web
using File/OpenWeb. I can only open webs that are in my
File/recent webs list. Also I can't add a website to My
Network Places.

Chris McNeil

Hi,

I sympathize. Have you seen this article from the
Microsoft Knowledgebase:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
US;250376

It might address the issue. My problem with passwords
was solved when I discovered that my ISP had somehow
changed my passwords back to the values from a year ago. I
have no idea how they did this but I experimented and
found the old passwords worked. I still have a problem
that web folders and My Network Places don't work. I
can't open webs directly from FP unless they are already
in my "recent webs" list.

Good Luck,