Front Panel Audio Problem

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post, I saw how helpfull people in here are so I thought I'd join in to see if someone can help me with my problem.

I have Gigabyte ga-k8nf9 ultra motherboard, and some codegen case. Problem is probably not in motherboard, as I've tested front panel in another case and it worked alright.

In my case this is how wiring is marked:

In the manual this is how front panel audio is described:

I have connected it like the manual says, and I have microphone and headphones working. I have 2 main issues though:

1. What is the other ground wire for? (I havent connected it)
2. Why wont my rear panel speakers get muted when I connect headphones to front panel?

Thank you in advance

Reaction score
Hiya!:wave:

The ground is EARTH Black normally, using the front head phones> sound will not mute the rear [if thats what you mean]

Reaction score
Yes I have connected one of the BLACK ground wire to pin no. 2, as described in manual, but from the case I second ground wire that I have no pin to connect to. What is the second one for?

On my other case, wich is not a standard case, rear output gets muted. So you are basicly saying that on this case it is impossible to have rear panel output automaticly muted once I plug in headphone jack in front panel?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
0mar said:
Yes I have connected one of the BLACK ground wire to pin no. 2, as described in manual, but from the case I second ground wire that I have no pin to connect to. What is the second one for?

All earths are commoned, that one's just a spare, ignore it and don't worry about it.

Omar said:
On my other case, wich is not a standard case, rear output gets muted. So you are basicly saying that on this case it is impossible to have rear panel output automaticly muted once I plug in headphone jack in front panel?

Plugging headphones into the front headphone socket should mute the rear speaker output. That's the situation with all 3 of my machines.

I think you have a fault there, first of all check the software setup or suspect a faulty headphone socket in the sound panel. The headphone socket is switched, when you insert a mini jack it prises three poles apart, operating a three way switch which the motherboard interprets as to mute rear.

But if you say that function works with the audio panel on a different machine then I think you have a software or even motherboard fault.

Of course, that motherboard's setup may be different and the rear speakers don't get muted, not sure.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
It is most definately not a motherboard or software failure as it works great when I connect front audio panel from other case into this motherboard. This is how I connected the front panel on the case with a problem:

On my other case(the one where it works), there is no wiring, it is only one connector and I counted 7 wires in it. SPKOUT L and SPKOUT R are not shorted like on the picture. Any ideas?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Try this:

Disconnect 6 & 10.

And if that doesn't work or you have a hum, connect the spare Gnd wire to one of them (6 or 10).

Ask a Question