Realtek HD Audio Front Panel is not working

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Ok, I have only just noticed this when I tried plugging my headphones in. When I plug headphones in, it ironically says "A jack has been unplugged"
If I disconnect the headphones is says "You've just plugged in an audio jack!"
And then asks me what I plugged in when I didn't plug anything in. Also the sound from the front Headphone port is weak. Strangely enough, there is sound been outputted from my front microphone port too however it is very low quality but louder. Also the jack detection on the microphone works fine most of the time.
Is there anything I can do? I currently use "Disable front panel jack detection" but this brings a problem that the on the back output speakers do not mute when a headphone is plugged in. Has anyone else had this problem and found a workaround/solution? It would be greatly appreciated.

-Realtek HD Audio
-Audio Chip - ALC 889A

Thanks

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Check the connections from the front panel to the motherboard, it sounds as if they're connected wrong.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Thanks for trying but they are keyed and cannot be connected wrongly. I tried reconnecting them anyway but still hasn't worked.

Reaction score
Hi,

Have you made sure that front Audio is enabled in the BIOS?

Make sure that your settings are the same as mine.

See picture attached.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 10,844
Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, good point from Wizkid.

Also, take a look in the motherboard manual and check there are no jumpers you have to remove from the motherboard. Unlikely, but worth checking.

Also, when the software prompts you to indicate what you're connecting choose headphones.

Oh, and check your audio software settings are set to match your loudspeaker setup, 2.1, 5.1, headphones etc.

And finally, check to see if audio drivers need updating, you can get them from the motherboard site.

Reaction score
I had more or less the same issue, i connected the wrong header from case to motherboard, make sure it's "HD Audio" not AC'97, also download Realtek Manager and their latest drivers, once that's done load up the manager and click to enable head phone jack, that's what worked for me.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Ok sorry for the no-post time.

No jumpers on motherboard.
Cannot find any setting in the BIOS.
And lastly there is only on header and is says "F_AUDIO" on the motherboard. There is only one plug for audio on the case and it says "FP_Audio"
The settings are the same as WizKid's but when I plug headphones in, the sound still comes out the speakers. So does this mean my front panel detection is broke? It worked fine on my old motherboard and muted the back speakers.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It may mean your front headphone socket is faulty.

It's a mechanical switch. When you insert a headphone jack plug it opens a switch which will tell the mobo to switch off the rear output.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Ok, I tried connecting the FP_Audio into another computer's motherboard and it worked fine. This means that the swich is not faulty. But I think I've found a problem. My old motherboard had Realtek AC'97 Audio as some may still remember. So did the computer I tested it on. This new motherboard is Realtek HD Audio. So can I conclude that my case is not compatable with HD Audio?

Reaction score
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
Ok, I tried connecting the FP_Audio into another computer's motherboard and it worked fine. This means that the swich is not faulty. But I think I've found a problem. My old motherboard had Realtek AC'97 Audio as some may still remember. So did the computer I tested it on. This new motherboard is Realtek HD Audio. So can I conclude that my case is not compatable with HD Audio?

It could be, but are you sure you set the front audo up right on the board for HD audio? it requires the pins to be in a sertin way for it to work.

Regards

Reaction score
Then could I use the Non-Joined connections (These are individual plugs for each + & - for audio functions?)

Is this on the motherboard in your sig?

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Thx I have the manual anyway.

Also is there a risk that the front panel will blow or the motherboard will if I do it wrong?
Please reply ASAP so I can get cracking. (Not software cracking Lol double talk)

Reaction score
Thx I have the manual anyway.

Also is there a risk that the front panel will blow or the motherboard will if I do it wrong?
Please reply ASAP so I can get cracking. (Not software cracking Lol double talk)

Yes if connected incorrectly then it can casue damage to the motherboard. I have always been lucky, but I strongly suggest that you make sure that its all connected right before you boot up the pc.

Good luck mate,

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
I failed :( Gigabyte have put the Audio Header in the stupidest place they could think of! [Back Panel Audio] [FP_AUDIO] [HUGE CPU HEATSINK!]
There is no way to even get to the header.
Ok now I just noticed that the Headphone jack detection only works properly if you plug half the headphone jack in. It also mutes rear speakers. However the sound is weak like sound from microphone port.
It says half way
"You just plugged a device into the audio jack!"
But if you push the jack all the way in, it says "A jack has been unplugged" :(
And sends sound back to the rear audio panel.
So I guess there is nothing I can do. I'm MOST CERTAINLY NOT getting a new case or any add-in/add-on sound card.
Looks like I'll just have to turn my speakers off when using headphones.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm MOST CERTAINLY NOT getting a new case or any add-in/add-on sound card.

You tell 'em mate, you tell'em good :mad:

Not that anybody really gives a monkeys if you do or you don't :lol:

What speaker setup do you have?

Most speakers have a headphone socket on one of the loudspeakers or the volume control box and when you plug headphones into there it mutes the main speaker setup.

In fact that's what most people do, I don't have any front panel audio setup on my machines. There again with two of them I'm using Hi-Fi amps both of which have a headphone socket and on/off switches for two pairs of speakers each.

Well good luck, sorry to hear of your probs :(

Reaction score
I failed :( Gigabyte have put the Audio Header in the stupidest place they could think of! [Back Panel Audio] [FP_AUDIO] [HUGE CPU HEATSINK!]
There is no way to even get to the header.
Ok now I just noticed that the Headphone jack detection only works properly if you plug half the headphone jack in. It also mutes rear speakers. However the sound is weak like sound from microphone port.
It says half way
"You just plugged a device into the audio jack!"
But if you push the jack all the way in, it says "A jack has been unplugged" :(
And sends sound back to the rear audio panel.
So I guess there is nothing I can do. I'm MOST CERTAINLY NOT getting a new case or any add-in/add-on sound card.
Looks like I'll just have to turn my speakers off when using headphones.

Hi

Sorry to hear that it did not work. on my gigabyte board its behind the parallel port on the board, its ok but its hard as well because of the big crazy cool design that gigabyte use on there boards.

Regards

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Not that anybody really gives a monkeys if you do or you don't
laughingsmiley.gif

What speaker setup do you have?
I only said that just in case someone suggested that I should.
I have 4 channel and 2.1. Just depends on my mood :D

Ask a Question