Front Page 2003 _derived folder

Reaction score
I joined this site because I found a post on it related to a problem I have, but sadly it did not resolve my problem.
A friend of mine has a website and asked for help making some changes. When I made the changes and published the site some things did not work correctly.
I discovered that the Remote Site has a _derived folder on it and the Local site does not. I tried publishing the Remote Site to the local site but still no _derived folder.
Additionally, from my friend's pc, when publishing he has an option to publish with HTTP://website. Mine does not. I can only use Frontpager or Sharepoint services, WebDAV, FTP, or File System (which is local).
Any and all help on this issue would be appreciated.

Jim

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Jim,

The _derived folder contains the dynamic data (for search and so on) as far as I'm aware. I've not used Frontpage for many years, so I don't know if it should also appear on the local site.

Are you using any of the frontpage advanced features, as it may be easier to upload using FTP if not.

Reaction score
Front Page

Hi Ian.. thank you for a quick response. You may be correct about it not appearing on the Local Site. I just don't know. I don't typically use Front Page either, but my friend is trying to learn to maintain his own web site and he uses it. I just want to be very careful in advising him and working with him, so I'm trying to use software that he has for this purpose.

If anyone has any advice, I am open for suggestions.

Also, it looks as if his web host does not support FP ext, so we can't publish using that option.

Jim

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
jcondley said:
Also, it looks as if his web host does not support FP ext, so we can't publish using that option.

Ah, that would be why then (I think!) :). You'd need a host to support FP extensions to make use of some of the things it does (any of the advanced features).

Your friend could move hosts and then it would work ok, or design a site that doesn't use any FP extensions.

Reaction score
Thnx

Thank you, Ian, for your reply. Not sure where we will go with this, but time will tell.

JimC

Ask a Question