Windows XP Freeserve does not recognise V.92.Help!

Reaction score
i am being cut off at different intervals from my ISP, freeserve.

When viewing a page created by another source they say that Freeserve does not support V92 modems and that this cutting off intermittently is normal.

How can I get a driver to knock my Ebuyer (intel chipped) modem to a V.90? According to the manual on the CD the driver defines whether it is V90 or V92. My driver specifies that I have a V.92 modem.- Intel 536EP V.92 Modem.

:crazy:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What a load of claptrap from Freeserve ... Freeserve is v.92 compliant. The person that gave you that information wants sacking

V92 modems are backward compatible, they will try to connect at this speed, if not they WILL automatically go to v90.

If your spending a lot of time on the internet then it is more likely that THEY are disconnecting you ... this happens to most ISP's including BT & NTL.

Are you connecting using a BT line? ... if so, then your problem may, I say may be due to line noise. Noise or crackling on the line can cause the modem to disconnect. There is no real way for you to check that out but you can ask your phone provider to check the line. They may even be honest with you.

Reaction score
For any Mac OS X users out there using Freeserve Anytime:

Recently I have had problems with Mac OS 10.2.6 connecting to Freeserve. The error message "could not negotiate a connection" appeared each time I tried to dial.

However returning to Mac OS 9.2 gave immediate connection without problems. I later discovered that 9.2 used V.90 and 10.2.6 was using V.92. I changed the setting in 10.2.6 back to V.90 and have had sucessful connections each time since the setting was changed.

Hope this helps anyone using Mac OS X with Freeserve, as Freeserve do not support the operating system.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers for that tip Colin! There will no doubt be other users who had the same problem as you did :spin:

Ask a Question