Free Upgrade for Win 64 bit

Does anyone know if this is true? I was told by a Best Buy salesman that there would be a free upgrade to 64 bit operating system from 32 bit for Windows XP for those running Athlon 64 processors. Also will there be a Pro version of the Windows 64 version for Athlon's like there is for 32 bit (ex. Win XP Pro versus Win XP)??? Thanks.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

No, there will not be a "free upgrade" to the 64-bit version of Windows XP.
When the 64-bit version is released later this year, you'll be able to purchase
it and will then have to perform a "clean install".

Windows XP 64-Bit Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/faq.asp

Newsgroup Support for Windows for 64-Bit Extended Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/extended/trial/support.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Does anyone know if this is true? I was told by a Best Buy salesman that there would be a free upgrade to
64 bit operating system from 32 bit for Windows XP for those running Athlon 64 processors. Also will there be
a Pro version of the Windows 64 version for Athlon's like there is for 32 bit (ex. Win XP Pro versus Win
XP)??? Thanks.

Chris Lanier [MVP]

Best Buy Guy doesn't know what he's talking about. I don't think anything
has been released on the sales/licensing for XP 64-bit.

--
Chris Lanier
Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
Todd said:
Does anyone know if this is true? I was told by a Best Buy salesman that
there would be a free upgrade to 64 bit operating system from 32 bit for
Windows XP for those running Athlon 64 processors. Also will there be a Pro
version of the Windows 64 version for Athlon's like there is for 32 bit (ex.
Win XP Pro versus Win XP)??? Thanks.

Do you know if there will be a 64 bit "Pro" version? Thanks for answering the other question.

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

Well, I'd think that the Best Buy salesman would be the one to
know whether or not his employer (Best Buy) was planning to give away
anything, wouldn't you? Of course, he can't very well speak for
Microsoft or any computer manufacturers, now can he? I suggest that
you ask that salesman's supervisor or the store's manager for the
specific details.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

having both at once. -- RAH

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

WinXP Pro is the _only_ version to be ported to the 64-bit kernel.
It's called "Windows XP 64-bit Edition."

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

having both at once. -- RAH