Windows XP Free - Portable Apps Suite

Reaction score
I know this has been mentioned in this Forum on previous occasions but I think it's a nice post to perhaps close and make sticky. ?

[There may be better apps in each category; but this, to me, is an invaluable USB Drive FREE App toolkit!] :thumb:

ALL FREE APPLICATIONS - Win XP and Vista compatible!
http://portableapps.com/suite

Contains:

Applications

transparent.gif
Accessibility

transparent.gif
Development

transparent.gif
Games

transparent.gif
Graphics & Pictures

transparent.gif
Internet

transparent.gif
Music & Video

transparent.gif
Office

transparent.gif
Operating Systems

transparent.gif
Utilities

Reaction score
U3 is very impressive - but you're looking at hardware then..
I just wanted to share a comprehensive Application source with y'all.
Whether used on USB, Local machine, or passed to friends etc...it's still a useful resource IMO :)

Reaction score
Since it's the New Year - Why don't we make new sticky posts of

A) Hardware must-have's
B) FREE Software must-have's

?
:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
AbsoluteKevster said:
Since it's the New Year - Why don't we make new sticky posts of

A) Hardware must-have's
B) FREE Software must-have's

?
:)

Because, sah...

A) Is a matter of personal preference.

B) Is covered by the thread three above yours at the moment, This One

I'm not actually familiar with the software suite you've shown here, are they like 'live' linux distros that just work from memory?

And I'm also not familiar with that U3 device, what's the difference between that and a normal USB stick then?

And if somebody says google it I will smack 'em upside the head. Twice. I want one of you bods to tell me ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Smack smack ... oh, OK :p

U3 Smart Software ... is simply a, purpose built, USB stick that has its own little OS that is independent from the PC.

It allows you to work on any PC and carry all your needed data with you ... and not leave any trace of you & what you were doing, or where you might have been on the Internet. :thumb:

A lot of the "software" is free, but obviously, it goes without saying you have to pay for other U3 programs. ;)

Only certain U3 sticks work with Vista, I happen to have one that is Vista certified, shame the one useful program I would like to use, CruzerSync, don't bloody work. :rolleyes:

It even has its own AV program, in my case MCrapie, to protect itself from nasties ... dunno how effective it is, I ain't gonna test it. :D

One can "load" other U3 software quite easily, and unloading is quite simply a click of the mouse. All you need is access to the Internet ... you can even use the U3 Firefox or Opera for that task. Both are free. :thumb:

They are as cheap as chips, but be aware, Microsoft are very interested in SanDisk & U3 ... I think we may find it being "assimilated" at some time. :rolleyes:

There you go, a mini review of U3

http://www.u3.com/

http://software.u3.com/softwarecentral.aspx?skip=1

laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Ta Mucks... Nicely written and you're doing a fab job of pushing me out to purchase one myself ;)

Ta floppy for your response & link

Finally, Happy New Year to you both :)

Reaction score
V_R did a great job with that list.... but, it's potentially rather dated.

My objective was to get the latest n greatest list of apps n stuff...

I know it's always difficult to avoid opinion obscuring a pure list such as V_R's.. but can we try? :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If that's a popular idea, we could create a thread with suggestions for free "must have" applications in sections like AV, Photo Editing, Documents etc... and then I can stick together an article.

V_R's article seems pretty up to date though :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that thread of mine is outdated, i still add stuff to it now and again. But only if i or another member here at PCR has first hand experience of it.

Dont forget, the discussion thread for it is still open. ;)

Nice post though Kev, will check some of that stuff out. :)

I like that U3 drive Mucks, very cool. :cool:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I been taking a closer look at PortableApps ... Nice interface. :thumb:

Has some nice touches to it, but a few faults too ... Toucan ain't what I expected, and crashed, well, stopped responding, and I had to reinsert the drive to delete its mistake ... or was it me? ;)

Work in progress. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Did you also know that using a Sandisk Cruzer U3, it is possible to e-mail files as large as 2GB? Not sure how pleased the recipient would be :rolleyes: but I guess there are some circumstances where this option would be useful.

YouSendIt
The YouSendIt U3 Application allows users to send files as large as 2GB over a secure connection from anywhere to any email address without installing anything on a desktop. In the event of a network interruption, the YouSendIt U3 Application restarts file uploads right where it left off once connectivity has been re-established.
Version 1.1.0 Updated Dec. 20, 2007.

Courtesy of Sandisk.com

:D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Did you also know that using a Sandisk Cruzer U3, it is possible to e-mail files as large as 2GB? Not sure how pleased the recipient would be :rolleyes: but I guess there are some circumstances where this option would be useful.

Courtesy of Sandisk.com

:D

Hmmm ! So what are you after then ? I got a 4 GB Cruzer and if you want something sending why not just come straight out and ask . Women always complicating things .

:p
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Hmmm ! So what are you after then ? I got a 4 GB Cruzer and if you want something sending why not just come straight out and ask . Women always complicating things .

:p
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Snap! I've got a 4 GB Cruzer too - bought last summer :p I began to use mine as a Vista boost - just to see how it worked out of curiosity... but one of the cats was a bit too fascinated by the nice orange glow and kept wanting to poke it with his paw :lol: So gave up the "boost" idea (didn't honestly see much of a difference anyway) so mainly use it for bits and pieces now ;)

...So it's not women that are complicating things in this instance.... it was the cat! :lol:

Last edited:

Ask a Question