free Microsoft synchronizing software

Ed Chait

I posted about freeware folder synchronizing software a while back and got
several good recommendations.

Today I ran across a free program from Microsoft called SyncToy that I
prefer to all the others I tried.

Very easy to setup and use, and flexible enough to do everything I want.

I'm not posting a link because the URL is one of those really long Microsoft
URL's, but it should be easy enough to find.

Ed Chait

The Six Million Dollar Man

Ed said:
I posted about freeware folder synchronizing software a while back and got
several good recommendations.

Today I ran across a free program from Microsoft called SyncToy that I
prefer to all the others I tried.

Very easy to setup and use, and flexible enough to do everything I want.

I'm not posting a link because the URL is one of those really long Microsoft
URL's, but it should be easy enough to find.

Ed Chait
You could create a tiny URL http://tinyurl.com/ . Then post both the
original and tiny URLs so people could choose which one to click.

Ed Chait

original and tiny URLs so people could choose which one to click.

--

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx

http://tinyurl.com/7dlru

There ya go.

Ed Chait

Peter Seiler

(e-mail address removed) - 13.03.2006 15:55 :

[snipped]
Thank You

Lou, there is NO need always fullquoting again only to say THX. Please
learn to quote. THX in advance for your kind understanding.

Lou

Peter said:
(e-mail address removed) - 13.03.2006 15:55 :

[snipped]
Thank You

Lou, there is NO need always fullquoting again only to say THX. Please
learn to quote. THX in advance for your kind understanding.

Ah but you are Assuming that all ISPs get all messages.
You do know how assume breaks apart?

Far better to quote than leave some poor soul hanging.

Lou
I eat my peas with honey.
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny.
But it keeps them on my knife.

Susan Bugher

Susan said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:

can't stop there. . . ;)

http://vric.ucdavis.edu/history/joke.HTM

"Good vegetable jokes are very hard to find, as this collection of
vegetable humor confirms."

"What do you get when you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its
radius? Pumpkin pi."

"A little tomato who knows her onions can go out with an old potato and
come home with a lot of lettuce and a couple of carats."

Susan

Lou

Susan said:
can't stop there. . . ;)

http://vric.ucdavis.edu/history/joke.HTM

"Good vegetable jokes are very hard to find, as this collection of
vegetable humor confirms."

"What do you get when you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its
radius? Pumpkin pi."

"A little tomato who knows her onions can go out with an old potato and
come home with a lot of lettuce and a couple of carats."

Susan

LOL

Thanks

Lou
All things in moderation EXCEPT hugs and humor.

Zaphod

Can I ask of those other than the M$ one you like.. which of them was
best and also worked on anything else apart from XP.. I have a need for
this but several of my machines run on 2K
thanks

Zaphod

Can I ask which of those other than the M$ one you like.. which of them
was best and also worked on anything else apart from XP (as the M$ one
only states XP compatible).. I have a need for this but several of my
machines run on 2K
thanks

Phred

Peter said:
(e-mail address removed) - 13.03.2006 15:55 :

[snipped]
Thank You

Lou, there is NO need always fullquoting again only to say THX. Please
learn to quote. THX in advance for your kind understanding.

Ah but you are Assuming that all ISPs get all messages.
You do know how assume breaks apart?

Far better to quote than leave some poor soul hanging.

Both problems largely solved if the "thanks" is posted at the top. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

badgolferman

Zaphod, 3/14/2006, 5:02:56 AM,
Can I ask of those other than the M$ one you like.. which of them was
best and also worked on anything else apart from XP.. I have a need
for this but several of my machines run on 2K
thanks

I installed this on a W2K machine and it works.

Ari Silverstein

Zaphod, 3/14/2006, 5:02:56 AM,

I installed this on a W2K machine and it works.

How the heck did you do that, badger, I pulled it down as an .msi setup
file and my W2K wouldn't recognize it to open? !!

badgolferman

Ari Silverstein, 3/14/2006, 9:24:38 AM,
was >> best and also worked on anything else apart from XP.. I have a
need >> for this but several of my machines run on 2K

How the heck did you do that, badger, I pulled it down as an .msi
setup file and my W2K wouldn't recognize it to open? !!

So did I. Maybe you don't have all the Windows Updates installed on
your computer. I vaguely remember some sort of MSI packager some time
ago. Besides, why wouldn't W2K install MSI packages? I believe Office
products are in that format.

Ari Silverstein

So did I. Maybe you don't have all the Windows Updates installed on
your computer. I vaguely remember some sort of MSI packager some time
ago. Besides, why wouldn't W2K install MSI packages? I believe Office
products are in that format.

I got the last and greatest all-in-one for W2K off MSoft's site so I think
I'm OK there.

Hm, dunno, when I try to install, it wants me to name the software to open
it by browsing.

badgolferman

Ari Silverstein, 3/14/2006, 1:49:31 PM,
I got the last and greatest all-in-one for W2K off MSoft's site so I
think I'm OK there.

This would be a Service Pack. There are scores of updates since
Service Pack 4.
Hm, dunno, when I try to install, it wants me to name the software to
open it by browsing.

I don't understand what you are saying. If you are saying it doesn't
know the extension then your icon would be the generic Windows icon.

Ari Silverstein

This would be a Service Pack. There are scores of updates since
Service Pack 4.

They called it a "rollup", last changes, no more support.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news/bulletins/rollup.mspx
or
http://tinyurl.com/goymp
I don't understand what you are saying. If you are saying it doesn't
know the extension then your icon would be the generic Windows icon.

I would agree but just like when you don't have an extension allocated to a
program, I get to choose. Choose what? It's supposed to be a
self-executable Setup program. None others do this.

badgolferman

Ari said:
They called it a "rollup", last changes, no more support.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news/bulletins/
rollup.mspx or
http://tinyurl.com/goymp

I would agree but just like when you don't have an extension
allocated to a program, I get to choose. Choose what? It's supposed
to be a self-executable Setup program. None others do this.

If it's any consolation I removed the program from my computer. It's
not very user friendly and I couldn't even look to see what changes it
wanted to make before it was going to. There are better FileSync
programs out there.