FP2000 - How do I stop it doing Recalc Hyperlinks automatically

I have a large Web of over 3,000 pages (generated by software for
distribution on CD-ROM). Most of the pages are created from FP templates
using Delphi 7 Page Producers. A theme is applied to whole web, and shared
borders control the Nav Buttons, etc.

Everything works AOK, until I need to make a small change to the Nav
Structure in FrontPage. Then FP2000 goes off for 30 minutes (on my 1.7GHz
Pentium IV) recalculating hyperlinks - which is totally unnecessary! Worse,
when it's finished pages which are wider than the Browser window are no
longer centred in the browser window, but in some "virtual" window (so you
can't see the heading), graphics like the horizontal ruler are replaced by
the clunky default, and the colours from the Theme for showing hyperlink
status (active, visited, not visited) have reverted to the default which is
pretty ugly on my chosen theme (Folio). Lately I've found that just
changing the view in FP seems to trigger this off - it's very unpredictable.

How do I stop FP2000 from trashing my formatting? I can rerun the program
that generates the pages to reset things, but that's an overnight job and
not something I want to do (on top of wasting 30 minutes waiting for FP2000
to finish recalculating)!

Cheers, Paul

Thomas A. Rowe

1. Since FP is controlling the Navigation and you are using Shared Borders,
which are design component, every page must be updated to reflect any
changes you have made in the navigation.

2. If you have modify your theme, then you must save it under a new name and
them re-apply it your site, otherwise FP will continue use the original
theme when you make changes.

3. If you don't what to recalculate, then don't use FP navigation, shared
borders, FP includes or themes, instead create you own page design and
navigation structure and then use SSI to include header, footer and
navigation, which will then be served by the server when the page is
requested. You will however loose the ability to see the SSI includes
actually included during design time.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Thomas, I am not sure how this is supposed to help me :-|
1. Since FP is controlling the Navigation and you are using Shared Borders,
which are design component, every page must be updated to reflect any
changes you have made in the navigation.
Why update every page (all 3000+) if the change is local? For example
adding a single page to a bottom node which can only be seen by that node
and its other children! None of my generated pages have the Left Border, so
don't have Nav Buttons any way.
2. If you have modify your theme, then you must save it under a new name and
them re-apply it your site, otherwise FP will continue use the original
theme when you make changes.
Theme is totally "out of the box" and unmodified in any way. It's FP that
seems to "modify" it by replacing Theme elements with the default.
3. If you don't what to recalculate, then don't use FP navigation, shared
borders, FP includes or themes, instead create you own page design and
navigation structure and then use SSI to include header, footer and
navigation, which will then be served by the server when the page is
requested. You will however loose the ability to see the SSI includes
actually included during design time.
I chose FP to do this job because I wanted a simple framework and set of
clean templates into which I could drop data from a database (and in any
case it was already installed on the PC). If I have to do it all myself, I
don't need FP at all!

Thomas A. Rowe

Paul, See below.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Thomas, I am not sure how this is supposed to help me :-|
in message
Why update every page (all 3000+) if the change is local? For example
adding a single page to a bottom node which can only be seen by that node
and its other children! None of my generated pages have the Left Border, so
don't have Nav Buttons any way.

What do you mean by "local"?

Any page in your web that is using any one of the 4 shared borders and you
make a change to a specific border page or area on a page or the navigation
structures, then all pages in your web using that border will be updated.

Are you managing or modifying content within your web outside of FrontPage,
if so then FP has no way of tracking these changes.

Theme is totally "out of the box" and unmodified in any way. It's FP that
seems to "modify" it by replacing Theme elements with the default.

If the theme is total out of the box, then it is the default, and there is
nothing for FP to modify. So based on what you have wrote, you have modified
the theme, and did not save it under a new name, and then remove the
original theme and then applied your new modified version of the theme.

I chose FP to do this job because I wanted a simple framework and set of
clean templates into which I could drop data from a database (and in any
case it was already installed on the PC). If I have to do it all myself, I
don't need FP at all!

Then you will need to learn to work the way FP works when you choose to use
the built in components to get the most benefit of using FP to manage your
web site.

Personally, I do not use FP shared borders, navigation structure or theme,
since I want to have complete control over my web projects.

If I have misunderstood what you have written, please try to clarify exactly
what you are doing.

Stefan B Rusynko

Also watch out for Search and TOC components settings
(both of which have options to track all changes - causing recalcs)

--

> [...]
| > don't need FP at all!
|
| Then you will need to learn to work the way FP works when you choose to use
| the built in components to get the most benefit of using FP to manage your
| web site.
|
| Personally, I do not use FP shared borders, navigation structure or theme,
| since I want to have complete control over my web projects.
|
| If I have misunderstood what you have written, please try to clarify exactly
| what you are doing.
|

| > > --
| > >
| > > ==============================================
| > > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| > >
| > > FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
| > > MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > > ==============================================
| > > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:

Stefan, Thanks for the reply. A helpful hint indeed!

I do have a "Search Form" in the web, but it's currently disabled in the
Navigation because it can't be made to work on the CDROM ;-) And I deleted
the TOC component completely as there were too many pages to allow this to
be useful.

Should I delete the Search Page completely?

Which Options do you mean? The Form Properties has a button that shows
Options For Saving Results (which don't seem to have any choices re tracking
changes), and an Advanced button which likewise has nothing that I can see
that affects this.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Cheers, Paul

Stefan B Rusynko

Delete the search page since it is still "indexing" your pages as you edit / create them

--

<paul at holland dot name> wrote in message | Stefan, Thanks for the reply. A helpful hint indeed!

| I do have a "Search Form" in the web, but it's currently disabled in the
| Navigation because it can't be made to work on the CDROM ;-) And I deleted
| the TOC component completely as there were too many pages to allow this to
| be useful.
|
| Should I delete the Search Page completely?
|
| Which Options do you mean? The Form Properties has a button that shows
| Options For Saving Results (which don't seem to have any choices re tracking
| changes), and an Advanced button which likewise has nothing that I can see
| that affects this.
|
| Am I looking in the wrong place?
|
| Cheers, Paul
|
| | > Also watch out for Search and TOC components settings
| > (both of which have options to track all changes - causing recalcs)
| >
| > --
| > _____________________________________________
| > SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
| > "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
| > To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > _____________________________________________

Hmm! I've done that - totally deleted the Search Page / Form from the Web.
After a couple of "cycles" to make sure it was totally gone, I am still
getting problems.

Example: just now I tried to edit one static page (never touched by the
Delphi 7 Code) to add a hyperlink to some text. When I clicked "OK" after
setting the link to "../persons/1796.htm" (manually - I didn't browse the
web folders to find the link data) FP2000 went off on its own for over an
hour apparently recalculating every link. Consequently the formatting of
many pages has now been corrupted as described in my original post.

Exasperated? That's an understatement!

Cheers, Paul

Thomas A. Rowe

Paul,

Are you working on a disk-based or server-based web?
If server-based which OS version?