Forums!

Reaction score
Hello everyone..
How should one use a forum?... i only ask this because in not used to them.. allthough i have found some really nice people here...

How should one behave?.. For example .. i try not to answer questions i do not understand... as there are people trying to sort out problems..

Somtimes i try to bring in some lightheartedness to make people laugh.. a release from stress.. but i also understand the importance of trying to find the solution to a problem....So i would do a search on the net to try to help.. this may be patronising to some however... those new to the net or useing a different search engine may miss that information that they seek!

Too much lightheartedness can distract the person with the problem.. or eventually just have a thread end up with Miss-Information!!

Should one just answer the latest threads?.. or monitor there own.. which seems selfish

.... I also want to say this.. while ive been on the pop.. lol... Chumbawamba are cool!..

I also must say... Thank You... For a nice place of Gathering.. You have some Fine People here Ian... apart from Bodhi who has a rat infested dwelling (Apparently his cat catches 129 mice a day).. lol sorry Bodhi.. i just remembered an old thread..:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, I believe you've touched on the subject of 'Off Topic' there Spooky.

Generally speaking, Tech threads should stay on target with few frivolous comments. If a person is searching for a solution to a problem, it's very often been covered on a Forum and using the Forum's search function, they are often able to go straight to a thread, read through and find their answer.

That way, the Forum acts as a database for computer related problems.

It will often irk somebody reading a tech thread if part way through it veers off on to a completely different subject or somebody starts telling all about their Auntie's weekend trip to Blackpool.

That's known as 'Going Off Topic' and often a Mod or Admin will edit any such content out of the thread to keep it on course.

Of course, in the Off Topic section, everybody can talk about what they like, bearing in mind this is a 'family' forum.

And that's about it really, just use your own common sense seems to be a good guide.

And having said all that, sometimes I'm the World's worst for transgressing the unwritten rule :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Spooky, you worry too much!

Don't be so hard on yourself, you are here to enjoy and share the knowledge with others. I try to read everything posted on the fourm, sometimes I take part, sometimes I don't. I make sure that I involve myself with anything posted on my favourite subjects, which you probably know by now. If I have the information I make sure I post it. I just need to post my own experience and if it is something I read about I must mention it.

I do not swear, I do not insult anyone, I share jokes once in a while, I write reviews when I feel I have enough to justify the product or idea and lastly I make friends along the way, SIMPLE!

Cheers!

Reaction score
What classes as a "family forum"

flops said:
Of course, in the Off Topic section, everybody can talk about what they like, bearing in mind this is a 'family' forum

Reaction score
Well does that mean a family will all sit around there pc every sunday night to see what has been posted, or does that mean there are little kids here?

Reaction score
i am a little kid :( i am very sensitive to naughty words and i will tell my mummy if you say one!!

;)

I think it means a variety of people visit here - both genders and all ages, so watch your mouth (or fingers) basicallyb :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
Well does that mean a family will all sit around there pc every sunday night to see what has been posted,
I doubt it, but who knows? The days of the nuclear family are over, it would seem, so unlikely, imo.

or does that mean there are little kids here?
Quite possibly, yes.

How can I put it? if this were a movie, it would have a PG rating, how's that for a comparison?

Reaction score
:)..................squeak...................squeak...................................:)

Ask a Question