Windows XP formatting computer and loading a new windows xp operating system

Reaction score
My computer currently runs Windows 98. I have recently bought a windows xp home edition and need some advice on removing the old system and loading the new system.

I have already rearranged the boot order to boot from the cd drive first.

A step by step guide would be much appreciated if somebody has some time to reply.

Thanks in advance.

Huw

Reaction score
Hoopey,

I think you may have some issues that need to be addressed. If your currently using Win98, I'm assuming your pc is at least 6 yrs old. If I'm correct in assuming this, then you have CPU and RAM limitations on this computer. Also if it was a store bought pc, i.e., HP, Compaq, etc., then everything is integrated on the motherboard. Before you upgrade you'll have to go to all the vender's websites and download XP drivers for sound, display, perhaps modem, IDE controllers, etc. I'm not trying to scare you Huw, but it really is a big jump from 98 to XP. I'm sure others on the forum with much more knowledge about this can help out. Good luck.

Gareth

Reaction score
HOOPEY... we are happy to help but glohworm made some valid points. Also I want to point out that if we are succesful your pc may be a bit sluggish when using XP. Or may not be able to handle XP at all. It just may not be powerful enough to run it. But....

If your boot order is already set to boot from cd-rom then you could just place the disk in and restart the pc... some times you may have to hit a specified key to boot the disk but the pc should tell you.

Once the disk boots you should see where you can do a advanced install and it should have the opens to format the pc. Then it will install.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help the xp programme has now been installed and is up and running. The installation was a breeze and the system so far seems to be fine not sluggish at all ( i upgraded the RAM at the same time).

Regards

Huw

Reaction score
HI GUYS,
I have the Laptop Dell Latitude C600, with XP operation system. If I format it, will I need the drivers? And if I need them nevertheless, maybe you know where I can download them from?
Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Gratitude.

Thank You very much for your assistance, at least I can download drivers for free. It nice to meet you, even though we don't see each other.

Best Regards,

Ruslan.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Fine thanks Ruslan :nod: - glad you found the link useful :thumb:

Please visit more often and make yourself at home here :)

Reaction score
HI Adywebb!

How are you doing Brother?
I had some problems with my laptop, tried to resolve it. I had 5 viruses, TrojanHorse. I took it to PC store for repair and paid $79.99 to get rid of these viruses. What do you think, they were not able to do it. There was not any choice only format it. What I could try by self.

Ask a Question