Formatted hardrive no driver for modem

Kate

Hi my dad unistalled everything and reformatted the hard drive. I am trying
to install a router for the broadband and pc keeps saying the modem isnt
working, I cant roll it back as no saves were made and I cant find a driver
that I can download as obviously no internet, I am having to connect through
my laptop. I have the cd that came with windows xp but it hasnt worked.
So help!!? I need to solve this if possble.

Unknown

If he reformatted did he reinstall everything? Did he reinstall the SP's.?
How about the drivers?

Kate

I havent a clue he says he reinstalled everything from the xp disk that came
with thte computer by doing a complete reinstall, I have started a complete
reinstall myself just to be sure but as no internet I cant access sp's. I
have access to internet on my laptop could I download sps onto a disk on my
laptop? I am running vista though.

Unknown

You should have a modem driver. It should be on a CD included with the
router when you purchased (obtained) it.
Did you get the router from your ISP? If so, call them. They are very
helpful.

db ´¯`·.. >

perhaps, there was an
initial problem with faulty
hardware and it induce
the idea to do a re-install.

for example a faulty modem
could destabilize the o.s.,
causing it to stall and act
unpredictably.

also, most people don't
realize but not all drivers
are provided by microsoft
and there are proprietary
drivers that are only provided
by the computer or
motherboard maker.

perhaps, there are updated
drivers that have been
recently
issued by the maker.

if the modem is still not
functioning, then it is not
uncommon that this occurs,
especially with built in/on
board
modems provided with
the motherboards.

perhaps utilizing an external
modem or adding a new modem
card to the motherboard may
need to be considered.

--------------

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

"Kate"
<[email protected]>

Kate

Ok so I reinstalled xp on the pc and then I went into device manager and
there are no drivers for my ethernet controller my multimedia Audio
controller and SM bus controller everything else appears to be fine, so Its
saying there are no drivers backed up or anything and that I must reinstall
the drivers, any ideas peeps? I really appreciate your help.

Jim

Kate said:
Ok so I reinstalled xp on the pc and then I went into device manager and
there are no drivers for my ethernet controller my multimedia Audio
controller and SM bus controller everything else appears to be fine, so
Its
saying there are no drivers backed up or anything and that I must
reinstall
the drivers, any ideas peeps? I really appreciate your help.
You dad did not install all of the drivers which the equipment on your
computer needs. Most computers were shipped with an XP installation disk
and a special driver disk.. Determining how to use the second disk can be
tricky. At least, the one that Dell shipped with my computer was not real
easy to understand.
Jim

Shenan Stanley

Kate said:
Hi my dad unistalled everything and reformatted the hard drive. I
am trying to install a router for the broadband and pc keeps saying
the modem isnt working, I cant roll it back as no saves were made
and I cant find a driver that I can download as obviously no
internet, I am having to connect through my laptop. I have the cd
that came with windows xp but it hasnt worked.
So help!!? I need to solve this if possble.

You either have a second disk that came with the computer that has the
drivers...
Or you will need to go to the manufacturer's web site, download the drivers
and then get those drivers to the proper machine (USB thumb drive, CD, DVD,
etc.)

Gerry

Kate

What is the computer make and model?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mick Murphy

What you are missing is the Motherboard's Drivers and Utilities Disk.

If it did not come with the computer, check at manufacturer's website for
your model, and download from there..

Patrick Keenan

Kate said:
Ok so I reinstalled xp on the pc and then I went into device manager and
there are no drivers for my ethernet controller my multimedia Audio
controller and SM bus controller everything else appears to be fine, so
Its
saying there are no drivers backed up or anything and that I must
reinstall
the drivers, any ideas peeps? I really appreciate your help.

You need the driver CD that came with the system. If you can't find that,
identify the system motherboard - you can do this by running Belarc Advisor
(download to USB key on another system then install) or simply open the case
and read off the motherboard make and model. It'll be screened onto the
surface of the motherboard. If it's a laptop, look on the bottom of the
unit for make and model number; if it's a Dell, use the Service Tag at the
Dell site.

Once you've found that information, you will be able to get the drivers you
need from the manufacturer's site.

Of course, you will be using another system to get these files.

HTH
-pk

Roy Smith

What is the computer make and model? One thing you can do is go to the computer manufacturer's web site and they should have the latest drivers for your particular PC available there. Since you can't download it on the PC you're trying to fix, you can always download them with your laptop and burn them on a cd or transfer them to a floppy or thumb drive.

--

Roy Smith
http:/roysmith1959.spaces.live.com