Format XP Media Center to clean reinstall XP Professional

G

I need to format my hard drive to remove XP Media Center and do a Clean Install of XP Professional. How do I do this
My Sony Vaio didn't come with CDs for XP Media Center so I can't boot from there. For system restore I press F10. Should I make CDs with the option to create a media back up kit? And will this media kit allow me to format the disk

I wouldn't want to do this but I see no answers regarding an alternative way to Add/Remove programs to remove hotfix kb824141, because an error appears telling me that it can't copy the file user32.dll

My only trouble with Media Center is this particular hotfix.

Please help me

G

Somebody please help me..

I don't want to do this drastic move unless I'm 100% sure there is no workaround for the hotfix kb824141 unable to remove problem.

If I do complete reformat, will Windows recognice the DVD and CD-Rom Drives? The Media Card Drives? Or will I be asked for CDs to install? I don't have those CDs, because Media Center doesn't ship with recovery CDs, I would have to create a Media Recovery Kit and I'm not sure if this will help

Please, help!

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Try this procedure:

Go to Start > Run and type: %Windir%\$NTUninstallKB824141$\Spuninst
and then hit your enter key.

Then click on "spuninst.exe" to uninstall the KB824141 Hotfix.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Somebody please help me...
|
| I don't want to do this drastic move unless I'm 100% sure there is no workaround for the hotfix kb824141
unable to remove problem.
|
| If I do complete reformat, will Windows recognice the DVD and CD-Rom Drives? The Media Card Drives? Or will
I be asked for CDs to install? I don't have those CDs, because Media Center doesn't ship with recovery CDs, I
would have to create a Media Recovery Kit and I'm not sure if this will help.
|
| Please, help!

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Extract a New Copy of the User32.dll File from the Windows XP CD
Extract a new copy of the User32.dll file from the Windows XP CD to the drive:\Windows\System32 folder on your hard disk, where drive is the drive on which Windows is installed:
1.. Insert a Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) or Microsoft Windows 98 Startup disk into your computer, and then restart the computer.

NOTE: For additional information about what to do if you do not have a Windows Millennium Edition or Windows 98 Startup disk, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
186300 How to Create a Windows 98 Startup Disk from MS-DOS

267287 How to Create a Startup Disk in Windows Me

2.. When the Windows Startup menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Start Computer with CD-ROM Support, and then press ENTER.
3.. Make a note of the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive.
4.. Rename the User32.dll file to User32.old. To do so, type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line, where Drive is the drive on which Windows is installed:
Drive:
cd windows\system32
ren user32.dll user32.old

5.. Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
6.. Extract a new copy of the User32.dll file from the Windows XP CD to the Windows\System32 folder on your hard disk. To do so, type the following lines at a command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line, where CDROMDrive is the drive letter of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM, and Drive is the drive on which Windows is installed:
a:
extract CDROMDrive:\i386\user32.dl_ Drive:\windows\system32\user32.dll

For example, if your CD-ROM is drive E and Windows is installed on drive C, type extract e:\i386\user32.dl_ c:\windows\system32\user32.dll, and then press ENTER.
7.. Remove the Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition startup disk from your computer, and then restart the computer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| I tried your recommendation but the result is the same. An error appears telling me that it has to copy the file user32.dll and that it can't find it.
|
| When I do search for the file it is there, but the file name is blue, so I can't copy it or move it to another location. Why does this happen? Is there a solution to this problem?
|
| Thanks again for all the advice.

G

Carey, today is a great day! Thanks for all your help, but it seems that someone came up with the sanet solution

At avid.com knowledge center, the patch for my program to run with kb824141 is available. I downloaded it and it worked
My Avid Xpress Pro is back in business now! I was told the patch was developed by Microsoft. This is the link if someone else is interested

The Microsoft patch for the KB824141 incompatibility is now available. You can find it at
http://support.avid.com/support/pro...t/B9C2B5F9F560E18185256E45005DD188OpenDocumen

Ask a Question