XP 05 Media Center edition

John A Grandy

Re Win XP 2005 Media Center edition ...

Do you lose anything relative to Win XP Pro SP2 ?

I know you gain a lot ... but do you lose anything ?

In other words , is Media Center an enhanced version of XP Pro ?

Jason Tsang

You lose support for domain join and cached credentials. Everything else is
the same.

John A Grandy

You're kidding me? You can't join domains? You can only log-on locally?

Is there an alternate way to gain the XPMC05 functionality ?

Shenan Stanley

Jason said:
You lose support for domain join and cached credentials. Everything else
is the same.
You're kidding me? You can't join domains? You can only log-on
locally?
Is there an alternate way to gain the XPMC05 functionality ?

What do you *think* you need this system to be on a domain for?

You cannot join your computer to a domain in Windows XP Media Center Edition
2005
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887212

Previous versions of Windows XP Media Center Edition support joining a
domain, but Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 does NOT.

To share Media Center content with other locations in the home, you must use
Media Center Extender devices, which require concurrent connections, only
available by using Fast User Switching. This requirement precludes the
ability to join a domain.

** If your previous Windows XP Media Center Edition was joined to a domain,
the domain status and credentials will be retained when you upgrade to
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. If you subsequently remove the
computer from the domain, to enable Fast User Switching required by a Media
Center Extender, you cannot rejoin the domain.

** You can still use domain resources if the shared resources do not require
that your computer is joined to the domain.

Side Notes..
----
Are there hacks out there to allow your MCE to join a domain?
Yes.

Do they work?
Supposedly..

What do you lose by joining and staying in a domain?
Access to the Media Center Extenders.

Are there people who claim to have put together "patches" to give you
Windows XP MCE features?
Yes.

Do they work?
I wold say supposedly - but the people who have claimed to use them have
been less than thrilled.

John A Grandy

I'm not talking about "joining and staying in a domain".

I'm talking about the obvious use cases: you're on a business flight, you
want to some entertainment (DVDs, games, whatever) on you notebook to kill
the time -- the same notebook you onsite LAN or remote RAS into your
workplace's domain-- the same notebook you watch TV in bed on -- the same
notebook you organize your personal life with -- the same notebook you use
to data-transfer and control various other media devices around the house
with -- you arrive at your client and you need to do some work that requires
logging-in to their domain.

What is so peculiar about wanting to build your life around a single laptop
? Seems to me to be the inevitable wave of the future. I'm sure you've
heard the rumours. MS better re-think this one quick.

Larry Samuels

What's to rethink? FUS will not work in a domain, and MCE extenders require
FUS to function.
You can join a domain during installation, but doing so means you can not
use extenders

Before you suggest allowing FUS on domains imagine walking into a large
corporate office, turning on the pc, and your domain welcome screen shows
you several thousand accounts to log into.

--
Larry Samuels Associate Expert
MS-MVP (2001-2005)
John A Grandy said:
I'm not talking about "joining and staying in a domain".

I'm talking about the obvious use cases: you're on a business flight,
you want to some entertainment (DVDs, games, whatever) on you notebook to
kill the time -- the same notebook you onsite LAN or remote RAS into your
workplace's domain-- the same notebook you watch TV in bed on -- the same
notebook you organize your personal life with -- the same notebook you use
to data-transfer and control various other media devices around the house
with -- you arrive at your client and you need to do some work that
requires logging-in to their domain.

What is so peculiar about wanting to build your life around a single
laptop ? Seems to me to be the inevitable wave of the future. I'm sure
you've heard the rumours. MS better re-think this one quick.

RWS

"John A Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message I'm not talking about "joining and staying in a domain".

I'm talking about the obvious use cases: you're on a business flight, you
want to some entertainment (DVDs, games, whatever) on you notebook to kill
the time -- the same notebook you onsite LAN or remote RAS into your
workplace's domain-- the same notebook you watch TV in bed on -- the same
notebook you organize your personal life with -- the same notebook you use
to data-transfer and control various other media devices around the house
with -- you arrive at your client and you need to do some work that requires
logging-in to their domain.

What is so peculiar about wanting to build your life around a single laptop
? Seems to me to be the inevitable wave of the future. I'm sure you've
heard the rumours. MS better re-think this one quick.

Jason Tsang

Think Vista

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP