forgotten password

STEPHEN CATRAMBONE

My son (6 yrs old) was playing on our computer and he set up and then forgot a password and now no one can use the computer. We have tried everything and it appears he just randomly pushed keys and can't figure out what he pushed. Is there any easy solution to this? Oh yeah, I was the system administrator and he somehow deleted my entire account off of the log in page...

Malke

STEPHEN said:
*My son (6 yrs old) was playing on our computer and he set up and then
forgot a password and now no one can use the computer. We have tried
everything and it appears he just randomly pushed keys and can't figure
out what he pushed. Is there any easy solution to this? Oh yeah, I was
the system administrator and he somehow deleted my entire account off of
the log in page...*

(email address removed - do not post your unmunged email address on
Usenet; it will get harvested by spammers. See this link for
explanation: http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm)

Your post is unclear - is this a Windows password or a BIOS password? Do
you get to the Welcome Screen? Assuming this is a Windows password:

If you have forgotten your password, if you have another user account
with administrative privileges you can log into that account and change
your original user account's password from the User Accounts applet in
Control Panel. If you don't have another account like this set up or
don't have the password to it, you'll need to log into the built-in
Administrator account. In XP Home, boot the computer into Safe Mode. Do
this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up.
This will get you to the right menu. Navigate using your Up arrow key;
the mouse will not work here. Once in Safe Mode, you will see the
normally hidden Administrator account. The default password is a blank.

In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. At the Welcome Screen,
do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. Type in
"Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up Windows.

If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or
have Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the
built-in Administrator account's password to a blank.

Then go to the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and set passwords
that you will remember and make other desired changes.

And know you also know why someone who is only 6 years old is way too
young to be left unattended at the computer. If you let him on again,
make him his own Limited user account where he can't do that kind of damage.

Malke

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Reformat and reinstall your Windows operating system.
Next time set up a Limited User account for your little
six year old.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----

:

My son (6 yrs old) was playing on our computer and he set up and then forgot a password and now no one can use the computer. We have
tried everything and it appears he just randomly pushed keys and can't figure out what he pushed. Is there any easy solution to
this? Oh yeah, I was the system administrator and he somehow deleted my entire account off of the log in page...

Rock

My son (6 yrs old) was playing on our computer and he set up and then forgot
a password and now no one can use the computer. We have tried everything and
it appears he just randomly pushed keys and can't figure out what he pushed.
Is there any easy solution to this? Oh yeah, I was the system administrator
and he somehow deleted my entire account off of the log in page...

LVTravel

1. It is too late now but never, ever put your real email address that hasn't been modified in a newsgroup post. You will now receive tons of spam for everything imaginable.

2. Most newsgroups don't like people to post in HTML as you have done. Newsgroups like text only. Since you used OE, it is a simple change by clicking Tools, Options, Send tab and for News radio button at the bottom of the window click on text.

Now, the fix.

Since you get to the Windows log-on page you didn't have a bios password set so your problem is related to Windows.

There are many searches that can be performed and this is the official fix from Microsoft
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

Scroll down to the area that applies to your version of XP

Here is more information that may assist you in getting into your system
http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

My son (6 yrs old) was playing on our computer and he set up and then forgot a password and now no one can use the computer. We have tried everything and it appears he just randomly pushed keys and can't figure out what he pushed. Is there any easy solution to this? Oh yeah, I was the system administrator and he somehow deleted my entire account off of the log in page...

Holz

My son (6 yrs old) was playing on our computer and he set up and then forgot a password and now no one can use the computer. We have tried everything and it appears he just randomly pushed keys and can't figure out what he pushed. Is there any easy solution to this? Oh yeah, I was the system administrator and he somehow deleted my entire account off of the log in page...

Here is an easy way to crack any password on XP...
The only thing you need is a XP Pro CD and a valid Serial#
1.Boot off the CD and do a Repair (not from the recovery console)
2.Setup will copy all the dll's... then your pc will restart and start the next step of the repair(were it give's you all bunch of info about XP)
3.On the left side of your screen you'll see the progress bar
4. As soon as you see "Installing Devices" press Shift+F10
5.This will open a command prompt.
6.from the command prompt, type nusrmgr.cpl
7.This command will open the user profile were you can reset any password (including the administrators)
8.After you reset the password, simply close the user profile window and the command prompt and let the setup finish the install.
9.That's it, as soon as the install is done your password will be reset and you'll have access to everything.

This may look a little complex but as soon as you'll do it once you'll see
it's easy. Do not forget, you now need to update your pc, since you just
lost all the updates if you had any.

Now, do you feel safe with your piece of crap XP?
try http://www.ubuntu.com

Holz

Reformat and reinstall your Windows operating system.

God you are an idiot. And you call yourself an MVP? there are 10 ways to
crack/replace XP password without even sweating, and no surprise, they are
all *nix utilities. I posted one for you down here, check it out. I twill
make feel real good about XP.

Holz

[...]

Plato

Kelly said:
Tell you what I thought of your reply....if a 6 year old knows how to change
the bios password, give him the computer and run! :blush:)

Grin... Most parents dont realize how easy it is go get around standard
"parenting" tweaks. Kids have a list of 100+ AOL buddies they can ask in
a few seconds.... hehe

Holz

<LOL> True that!

Which again raise the question, why would anyone in their right mind use
an operating system, so vulnerable? computers in my household, 2 MACS and
2 ubuntu, never seen any of the problems mentioned above...

M.I.5¾

Malke said:
[...]

Although that last paragraph makes perfect sense, you would be amazed at the
amount of software that just will not work in limited accounts (and much of
it actually checks that it is not running in a limited account and complains
if it is). Your child will always want to run at least one of these
programs.

M.I.5¾

Holz said:
Which again raise the question, why would anyone in their right mind use
an operating system, so vulnerable? computers in my household, 2 MACS and
2 ubuntu, never seen any of the problems mentioned above...

Linux and Mac OS are just as hackable.

M.I.5¾

Holz said:
God you are an idiot. And you call yourself an MVP? there are 10 ways to
crack/replace XP password without even sweating, and no surprise, they are
all *nix utilities. I posted one for you down here, check it out. I twill
make feel real good about XP.

That's OK because Unix and Linux are no more secure. It can take me all of
around (ooh) 3 minutes to to delete the root password of either system.

M.I.5¾