lost my password

tmachine1982

i havent used one of my computers in over a year and i plugged it in to set
up for my son to use and i have forgot the password to log into windows. Is
there any way to bypass that change to a new password or get in to set up
another user account on the computer?

Malke

tmachine1982 said:
i havent used one of my computers in over a year and i plugged it in to
set
up for my son to use and i have forgot the password to log into windows.
Is there any way to bypass that change to a new password or get in to set
up another user account on the computer?

If you have forgotten your password, if you have another user account with
administrative privileges you can log into that account and change your
original user account's password from the User Accounts applet in Control
Panel. If you don't have another account like this set up or don't have the
password to it, you'll need to log into the built-in Administrator account.
In XP Home, boot the computer into Safe Mode. Do this by repeatedly tapping
the F8 key as the computer is starting up. This will get you to the right
menu. Navigate using your Up arrow key; the mouse will not work here. Once
in Safe Mode, you will see the normally hidden Administrator account. The
default password is a blank.

In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. At the Welcome Screen, do
Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. Type in
"Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up Windows.

If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or have
Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the built-in
Administrator account's password to a blank. Download the bootable CD .iso,
burn with third-party burning software (as an image, not as data), boot
with the media you created. You may need to change the boot order in the
BIOS or get a temporary boot order menu with a special keypress. NTpasswd
will run. Follow the instructions carefully.

Malke

Kelly

Boot into the system admin account and remove it via User Accounts:

To gain access to the System default Admin account once hidden:

On Pro Edition, from the Welcome Screen, press ctrl-Alt-Delete Twice. On
Home, boot to Safe Mode, and logon.

Tip:

TweakUI/Logon/Show Administrator on the Welcome Screen

Or...

Enable/Disable Administrator on Welcome Screen (Line 5)

All the Best and Happy Mardi Gras,
Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

Frank-FL

"tmachine1982" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
i havent used one of my computers in over a year and i
plugged it in to set
up for my son to use and i have forgot the password to log
into windows. Is
there any way to bypass that change to a new password or
get in to set up
another user account on the computer?

It wouldn't be much use to password protect a computer if
one could just over write it.

ju.c

Resetting a Forgotten Password Tutorial

NOTES

- The built-in Administrator account is found on the
Welcome screen only if there are no other accounts
available, other than Guest, or when the computer is
booted into Safe Mode.
- To get Admin account on the "Welcome Screen" make sure
that there are no accounts logged in.
- The built-in Administrator account can create and
change passwords for all users, but cannot restore a
forgotten one.
- When a password is changed, that account will lose
all encrypted files, personal certificates and stored
Internet Explorer passwords or network resources.
- Press "CTRL-ALT-DEL" twice to get the classic Windows
logon box. Type: Administrator. If this account has a
password, enter it. Otherwise, leave the it blank.
- Recovering a password is much more difficult. Using
a cracking program can take weeks!

RESET A PASSWORD USING THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT

1. Boot into Safe Mode.
2. Log on using the built-in Administrator account.
3. Open: Control Panel -> User Accounts.
4. On the Users tab, select a user name, the password
to change and click Reset Password.

RESET A PASSWORD AT THE LOGON SCREEN WITH THE COMMAND PROMPT

At the logon screen, press Shift+F10 to open a Command
Prompt with adminisrative priviledges and type:

net user {username} {password}

{username} = The Account's User Name
{password} = This will be the new password

RESET A PASSWORD USING MICROSOFT'S ERD COMMANDER

1. Download a 30 day trial from here:

Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset 5.0 $65 64 MB
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-0554-4595-8AB4-C34B2860E087&displaylang=en

2. Install it, run it and burn the image to a CD.
3. Boot the CD and run the Locksmith Wizard, found under
Start -> System Tools.
4. The Locksmith Wizard is very easy to use, just select an
account and input a new password. Too easy!

RESET A PASSWORD USING OFFLINE NT PASSWORD & REGISTRY EDITOR

Bootable CD (Freeware):
http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

- This disc can set, reset or unlock the password of any
user account.
- You do not need to know the old password to set a new one.
- Works with Windows NT/2k/XP/Vista.

RESET A PASSWORD USING NT PASSWORD HACK

This will blank the Administrator password (Freeware):
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/ntpassword/ntpasswordhack.zip

RECOVER A PASSWORD USING THE LOGIN RECOVERY WEB SERVICE

Login Recovery is a service to recover passwords for Windows NT,
2000, XP, 2003 and Vista (Fast = $30, 3-day wait = Free):
http://www.loginrecovery.com/index.php

LINKS

How to reset the Administrator's password:
http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

EFS, Credentials, and Private Keys from Certificates Are
Unavailable After a Password Is Reset:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290260/en-us

Administrator and User Passwords in Windows XP:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm

ju.c

phil h

tmachine1982 said:
i havent used one of my computers in over a year and i plugged it in to set
up for my son to use and i have forgot the password to log into windows. Is
there any way to bypass that change to a new password or get in to set up
another user account on the computer?

Tim Meddick

Phil,
Try starting the PC in safe mode.
To do this: press the F8 key repeatedly as your computer boots. Then choose
safe mode from the list.
When you come to the welcome screen, the Administrator account should be
visible to login to.
Login to the Administrator account (the password for Admin should be a blank
one unless it has been set by yourselves)
From the Admin account, go to 'Control Panel' and 'User Accounts' and click
on 'Change an Account' and then on the account you want to change. Then
click on 'Change Password'
This all depends on the Administrator password not having been set by
anyone.
Good luck!

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)

Peter Foldes

You are posting a 3yr old post and adding your name. Best to repost with your info