forgoten password in the bios system opts

richard brown

any way to over ride a forgoten password in the system bios set up opts
comptley locked out of compter any help please

Patrick Keenan

richard brown said:
any way to over ride a forgoten password in the system bios set up opts
comptley locked out of compter any help please

There may be help, but the method depends on the motherboard. This may be
in the manual, or on the manufacturer's support site. It has nothing at all
to do with XP or any OS.

Since nobody else knows what your system actually is, it's hard to say,
other than this, which does not apply to laptops:

Power off, unplug the power cable, open the case, locate the battery and the
CMOS CLEAR jumper. remove the battery, and short the jumpers. If there
aren't any jumpers, remove the battery and leave the system for some hours,
possibly overnight, to allow the charge to bleed off.

Put the battery back in, put the system back together and power up. This
may or may not clear the password, depending on the design of the board.

On laptops, try removing the power adapter and the battery, and press and
hold the power switch for one minute.

On some systems, there is an optional power-on password that cannot be
bypassed in this way, and generally requires taking the system to an
authorised service center.

HTH
-pk

Richard in AZ

| any way to over ride a forgoten password in the system bios set up opts
| comptley locked out of compter any help please

You did not give us near enough information to help your.
What is your computer make and model as a minimum.

Here is a solution for Dell laptop computers that still have a floppy disk drive.

Create a Dos System Disk.
Copy Debug.exe to the disk
Boot the computer with the DOS floppy
type in

Debug
type o 70 2e
type o 71 ff
type q

Press the enter key at the end of each of the above lines
Then power the system off by pulling the power cord.
remove the floppy and reboot.

Twayne

"richard brown"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message

[...]

On this Gateway E500 there is a jumper to reset
the BIOS and another to clear the password in the
BIOS. They're near each other and also near the
battery.

If the other suggestions don't work, try looking
for the instruction in your paperwork of at the
mfgr web site.

HTH

Twayne

C.Joseph Drayton

richard said:
any way to over ride a forgoten password in the system bios set up opts
comptley locked out of compter any help please

Hello Richard,

It depends on the type and age of the laptop. There are a
few older laptops that could have FLASH erased by making a
dongle that did a reset through the NMI line. There are also
some companies that have created back doors that allow them
to go into the BIOS with a master password.

For the most part though, you will need to be able to
establish proof of ownership for any legitimate company or
consultant to attempt to fix the problem for you.

What is the brand and age of the machine?

Sincerely,
C.Joseph Drayton, Ph.D. AS&T

CSD Computer Services

Web site: http://csdcs.site90.net/