Font size (again...) long....

zulu

Let me try once more <big sigh> :)

I still have a few problems seeing things, but before I explain her are my
current settings:
Screen Resolution>1024 x 768 on a 21 inch CRT

DPI settings>Custom >150%

Desktop>Properties>Appearance>Advanced>
3D Objects FONT NEW SIZE
Active Title bar 48 Trebuchet 12 Bold
Active Window Border 2
Application Background
Caption Buttons 48
Desktop
Icon 48 Tahoma 12 Bold
Icon Spacing (Horiz.) 59
Icon Spacing (Vertical) 59
Inactive Title bar 48 Trebuchet 12 Bold
Inactive Window Border 2
Menu 29 Tahoma 11 Bold
Message Box Tahoma 12 Bold
Palette Title 31 Tahoma 12 Bold
Scrollbar 26
Selected Items 29 Tahoma 11 Bold
Tooltip Tahoma 12 Bold
Window
....and similar windows.

The trouble is, if I set to 120%dpi the above windows are totally unreadable
instead if just very hard to!
Heads I lose, tails I can't win.
Ideally, I need ALL text a minimum of 5 mm (3/16) high and, (again ideally),
BOLD.
Without a doubt, the Desktop Properties window (etc.) is the biggest
problem! How am I expected to change things to suit me if I can;can't read
it!

C'mon you experts....There MUST be a way, surely?

Also (another related problem...)
I get the right hand side and bottom of my *WinTV Scheduler* truncated to
the point where it is unusable as the bit I need to click on to set it isn't
there! (I have proved that this is because of the 150 dpi setting as if I
use 120% *large fonts* it is OK, but it surely shouldn't happen! :-(
I intend to talk to Hauppauge about this...

a nonymous

| Let me try once more <big sigh> :)
|
| I still have a few problems seeing things, but before I explain her are my
| current settings:
| ********************************************************************
| Screen Resolution>1024 x 768 on a 21 inch CRT
|
| DPI settings>Custom >150%
|
| Desktop>Properties>Appearance>Advanced>
| 3D Objects FONT NEW SIZE
| Active Title bar 48 Trebuchet 12 Bold
| Active Window Border 2
| Application Background
| Caption Buttons 48
| Desktop
| Icon 48 Tahoma 12 Bold
| Icon Spacing (Horiz.) 59
| Icon Spacing (Vertical) 59
| Inactive Title bar 48 Trebuchet 12 Bold
| Inactive Window Border 2
| Menu 29 Tahoma 11 Bold
| Message Box Tahoma 12 Bold
| Palette Title 31 Tahoma 12 Bold
| Scrollbar 26
| Selected Items 29 Tahoma 11 Bold
| Tooltip Tahoma 12 Bold
| Window
| ...and similar windows.
|
| The trouble is, if I set to 120%dpi the above windows are totally unreadable
| instead if just very hard to!
| Heads I lose, tails I can't win.
| Ideally, I need ALL text a minimum of 5 mm (3/16) high and, (again ideally),
| BOLD.
| Without a doubt, the Desktop Properties window (etc.) is the biggest
| problem! How am I expected to change things to suit me if I can;can't read
| it!
|
| C'mon you experts....There MUST be a way, surely?
|
| Also (another related problem...)
| I get the right hand side and bottom of my *WinTV Scheduler* truncated to
| the point where it is unusable as the bit I need to click on to set it isn't
| there! (I have proved that this is because of the 150 dpi setting as if I
| use 120% *large fonts* it is OK, but it surely shouldn't happen! :-(
| I intend to talk to Hauppauge about this...

Hi Zulu,

Some things to try...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820286
Windows XP and Windows 2000 do not natively support high-DPI screens
(includes workaround - adding a registry value)

http://weblogs.asp.net/tonyschr/archive/2004/03/23/94391.aspx
Text Legibility: Using 120 DPI Fonts on High Resolution Displays
(IE zooming any web text)

zulu

Ok Bonny Mouse :)
That was interesting reading.

i daren't try the registry bit (i've not played there, and I have enough
sense not to play when I can't see what I'm doing, it's FAR to easy to make
a mistake...!
I'll go back and re-read it....

Is there any point in using *Clear Type* on a crt?
(i couldn't see the difference when I tried it some time ago, but then I
wouldn't really expect to, with my crap eyes :-(
I was under the impression that *Clear Type* was for flat screens only. no?

a nonymous

| "a nonymous" <.> wrote
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820286
| > Windows XP and Windows 2000 do not natively support high-DPI screens
| > (includes workaround - adding a registry value)
| >
| > http://weblogs.asp.net/tonyschr/archive/2004/03/23/94391.aspx
| > Text Legibility: Using 120 DPI Fonts on High Resolution Displays
| > (IE zooming any web text)

| Ok Bonny Mouse :)
| That was interesting reading.
|
| i daren't try the registry bit (i've not played there, and I have enough
| sense not to play when I can't see what I'm doing, it's FAR to easy to make
| a mistake...!
| I'll go back and re-read it....

Manually editing the registry can be dangerous!

Here are two .REG scripts

1. Open Notepad.

2. Copy the following lines and paste into Notepad...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
"UseHR"=dword:00000001

3. File > Save As > "HI-RES-ON.REG" (including the quote marks)

4. File > New

5. Copy the following lines and paste into Notepad...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
"UseHR"=-

6. File > Save As > "HI-RES-OFF.REG" (including the quote marks)

7. Right-click HI-RES-ON.REG > Merge > Yes > OK

(8. To remove "UseHR" from registry,
Right-click HI-RES-OFF.REG > Merge > Yes > OK)

| Is there any point in using *Clear Type* on a crt?
| (i couldn't see the difference when I tried it some time ago, but then I
| wouldn't really expect to, with my crap eyes :-(
| I was under the impression that *Clear Type* was for flat screens only. no?

*Clear Type* is designed for flat screens. Using it on a CRT might make
the text appear worse.

| > | Let me try once more <big sigh> :)
| > |
| > | I still have a few problems seeing things, but before I explain here
| > | are my current settings:
| > | ********************************************************************
| > | Screen Resolution>1024 x 768 on a 21 inch CRT
| > |
| > | DPI settings>Custom >150%
| > |
| > | Desktop>Properties>Appearance>Advanced>
| > | 3D Objects FONT NEW SIZE
| > | Active Title bar 48 Trebuchet 12 Bold
| > | Active Window Border 2
| > | Application Background
| > | Caption Buttons 48
| > | Desktop
| > | Icon 48 Tahoma 12 Bold
| > | Icon Spacing (Horiz.) 59
| > | Icon Spacing (Vertical) 59
| > | Inactive Title bar 48 Trebuchet 12 Bold
| > | Inactive Window Border 2
| > | Menu 29 Tahoma 11 Bold
| > | Message Box Tahoma 12 Bold
| > | Palette Title 31 Tahoma 12 Bold
| > | Scrollbar 26
| > | Selected Items 29 Tahoma 11 Bold
| > | Tooltip Tahoma 12 Bold
| > | Window
| > | ...and similar windows.
| > |
| > | The trouble is, if I set to 120%dpi the above windows are totally
| > unreadable instead if just very hard to!
| > | Heads I lose, tails I can't win.
| > | Ideally, I need ALL text a minimum of 5 mm (3/16) high and, (again
| > ideally), BOLD.
| > | Without a doubt, the Desktop Properties window (etc.) is the biggest
| > | problem! How am I expected to change things to suit me if I can;can't
| > read it!
| > |
| > | C'mon you experts....There MUST be a way, surely?
| > |
| > | Also (another related problem...)
| > | I get the right hand side and bottom of my *WinTV Scheduler* truncated
| > | the point where it is unusable as the bit I need to click on to set it
| > isn't
| > | there! (I have proved that this is because of the 150 dpi setting as if
| > I use 120% *large fonts* it is OK, but it surely shouldn't happen! :-(
| > | I intend to talk to Hauppauge about this...

zulu

I'll have a go at the weekend with the registry stuff <gulp>, and I'll make
sure *Clear Type* is *off* (if I can find out how!)
TYVM once again :)

I _still_ need to make the Properties font bigger and bolder though..
there MUST be a way to do this, surely?

a nonymous said:
| "a nonymous" <.> wrote
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820286
| > Windows XP and Windows 2000 do not natively support high-DPI screens
| > (includes workaround - adding a registry value)
| >
| > http://weblogs.asp.net/tonyschr/archive/2004/03/23/94391.aspx
| > Text Legibility: Using 120 DPI Fonts on High Resolution Displays
| > (IE zooming any web text)

| Ok Bonny Mouse :)
| That was interesting reading.
|
| i daren't try the registry bit (i've not played there, and I have enough
| sense not to play when I can't see what I'm doing, it's FAR to easy to
make
| a mistake...!
| I'll go back and re-read it....

Manually editing the registry can be dangerous!

Here are two .REG scripts

1. Open Notepad.

2. Copy the following lines and paste into Notepad...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
"UseHR"=dword:00000001

3. File > Save As > "HI-RES-ON.REG" (including the quote marks)

4. File > New

5. Copy the following lines and paste into Notepad...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
"UseHR"=-

6. File > Save As > "HI-RES-OFF.REG" (including the quote marks)

7. Right-click HI-RES-ON.REG > Merge > Yes > OK

(8. To remove "UseHR" from registry,
Right-click HI-RES-OFF.REG > Merge > Yes > OK)

| Is there any point in using *Clear Type* on a crt?
| (i couldn't see the difference when I tried it some time ago, but then I
| wouldn't really expect to, with my crap eyes :-(
| I was under the impression that *Clear Type* was for flat screens only.
no?

*Clear Type* is designed for flat screens. Using it on a CRT might make
the text appear worse.

| > | Let me try once more <big sigh> :)
| > |
| > | I still have a few problems seeing things, but before I explain here
| > | are my current settings:
| > | ********************************************************************
| > | Screen Resolution>1024 x 768 on a 21 inch CRT
| > |
| > | DPI settings>Custom >150%
| > |
| > | Desktop>Properties>Appearance>Advanced>
| > | 3D Objects FONT NEW SIZE
| > | Active Title bar 48 Trebuchet 12 Bold
| > | Active Window Border 2
| > | Application Background
| > | Caption Buttons 48
| > | Desktop
| > | Icon 48 Tahoma 12 Bold
| > | Icon Spacing (Horiz.) 59
| > | Icon Spacing (Vertical) 59
| > | Inactive Title bar 48 Trebuchet 12 Bold
| > | Inactive Window Border 2
| > | Menu 29 Tahoma 11 Bold
| > | Message Box Tahoma 12 Bold
| > | Palette Title 31 Tahoma 12 Bold
| > | Scrollbar 26
| > | Selected Items 29 Tahoma 11 Bold
| > | Tooltip Tahoma 12 Bold
| > | Window
| > | ...and similar windows.
| > |
| > | The trouble is, if I set to 120%dpi the above windows are totally
| > unreadable instead if just very hard to!
| > | Heads I lose, tails I can't win.
| > | Ideally, I need ALL text a minimum of 5 mm (3/16) high and, (again
| > ideally), BOLD.
| > | Without a doubt, the Desktop Properties window (etc.) is the
biggest
| > | problem! How am I expected to change things to suit me if I
can;can't
| > read it!
| > |
| > | C'mon you experts....There MUST be a way, surely?
| > |
| > | Also (another related problem...)
| > | I get the right hand side and bottom of my *WinTV Scheduler*
truncated
| > | the point where it is unusable as the bit I need to click on to set
it
| > isn't
| > | there! (I have proved that this is because of the 150 dpi setting as
if
| > I use 120% *large fonts* it is OK, but it surely shouldn't happen! :-(
| > | I intend to talk to Hauppauge about this...

a nonymous

| I'll have a go at the weekend with the registry stuff <gulp>,

Just follow my 7-step prcedure, below.

| and I'll make sure *Clear Type* is *off* (if I can find out how!)
| TYVM once again :)

Control Panel > Display > Appearance > Effects

[_] Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts
[ Clear Type ]
OK
OK

| I _still_ need to make the Properties font bigger and bolder though..
| there MUST be a way to do this, surely?

That registry patch in my 7-step prcedure, below, might help.
Otherwise, maybe fiddling with "Resource Hacker", but this is for
advanced users, and even then, only if you are lucky. (I have
successfully "Resource Hacked" REGEDIT.EXE, but am unable to get my
"Resource Hacked" TASKMGR.EXE to be run (by double-clicking on it)
- the original one is always launched.

You wrote that your Screen Resolution is 1024 x 768 on a 21 inch CRT.
Maybe you could also try the highest possible stable Screen Resolution.

| "a nonymous" <.> wrote
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820286
| > Windows XP and Windows 2000 do not natively support high-DPI screens
| > (includes workaround - adding a registry value)
|
| > http://weblogs.asp.net/tonyschr/archive/2004/03/23/94391.aspx
| > Text Legibility: Using 120 DPI Fonts on High Resolution Displays
| > (IE zooming any web text)
|

| > Here are two .REG scripts
|
| > 1. Open Notepad.
|
| > 2. Copy the following lines and paste into Notepad...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
"UseHR"=dword:00000001

| > 3. File > Save As > "HI-RES-ON.REG" (including the quote marks)
|
| > 4. File > New
|
| > 5. Copy the following lines and paste into Notepad...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
"UseHR"=-

| > 6. File > Save As > "HI-RES-OFF.REG" (including the quote marks)
|
| > 7. Right-click HI-RES-ON.REG > Merge > Yes > OK
|
| >(8. To remove "UseHR" from registry,
| > Right-click HI-RES-OFF.REG > Merge > Yes > OK)

| > | "zulu" <.> wrote
| > | here are my current settings:
| > | Screen Resolution>1024 x 768 on a 21 inch CRT
|
| > | DPI settings>Custom >150%
|
| > | Desktop>Properties>Appearance>Advanced>
| > | 3D Objects FONT NEW SIZE
| > | Active Title bar 48 Trebuchet 12 Bold
| > | Active Window Border 2
| > | Application Background
| > | Caption Buttons 48
| > | Desktop
| > | Icon 48 Tahoma 12 Bold
| > | Icon Spacing (Horiz.) 59
| > | Icon Spacing (Vertical) 59
| > | Inactive Title bar 48 Trebuchet 12 Bold
| > | Inactive Window Border 2
| > | Menu 29 Tahoma 11 Bold
| > | Message Box Tahoma 12 Bold
| > | Palette Title 31 Tahoma 12 Bold
| > | Scrollbar 26
| > | Selected Items 29 Tahoma 11 Bold
| > | Tooltip Tahoma 12 Bold
| > | Window

zulu

OK! said:
| and I'll make sure *Clear Type* is *off* (if I can find out how!)
| TYVM once again :)

Control Panel > Display > Appearance > Effects
OK, I turned it *OFF*
I can't see any difference thougth (my bad eyes, I expect!)
| I _still_ need to make the Properties font bigger and bolder though..
| there MUST be a way to do this, surely?

That registry patch in my 7-step prcedure, below, might help.

Didn't change anything as far as I can tell :-(
I'll leave it *ON* though...

<<<<SO I STILL need to make the Properties font bigger and bolder
though..>>>>>
It doesn't appear to be accessable through Display>Appearance, that's for
sure!
Where are all the experts whwn you need 'em???????
Otherwise, maybe fiddling with "Resource Hacker",

I just d/l'd it but will think twice before trying it said:
advanced users,

I wouldn't call myself that yet, net week possibly....

a nonymous

| > "zulu":
| > | I'll have a go at the weekend with the registry stuff
|
| "a nonymous":
| > Just follow my 7-step procedure.
|
| OK! <VBG> Both merged successfully!

That means you did step 8, as well.

| > | I _still_ need the Properties font bigger and bolder
|
| > That registry patch in my 7-step procedure might help.
|
| Didn't change anything as far as I can tell :-(
| I'll leave it *ON* though...

Because you did step 8, you set it *OFF* again.
Just to clarify: Just do step 7...
7. Right-click HI-RES-ON.REG > Merge > Yes > OK

| SO I STILL need the Properties font bigger and bolder
|
| It doesn't appear to be accessable through Display>Appearance,
|
| > Otherwise, maybe fiddling with "Resource Hacker",
|
| I just d/l'd it but will think twice before trying it <maybe... g>
|
| > but this is for advanced users,
|
| I wouldn't call myself that yet, net week possibly....
| >The rest snipped>>

zulu

ROFL
I did step 8 as well to check they *both* merged ok, as step 7 _didn't_
merge at the first attempt (so i did it again and overwrote the first try)
I then *ON*'d it :)

So the end result _was_ as you intended OK, but I got no improvement :-(((

Don't give up on me ........:)

Why do they have to make it so HARD?
All it needs (in Appearance) is a row of letters across the screen, starting
at 1/10 of an inch high and ending at 1/2 an inch high (or whatever).
"Pick the minimum size you can comfortably read"
"Would youu prefer this *Bold*? > Yes
Click > Apply Globally > Done

When will they ever learn?