Find me a pc for a blind person .

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ok folks heres some info . I have a blind friend who uses her pc for working . She does some Brail stuff for the Blind Society . The tech guy for the local branch has suggested that they look at Comet or PC World . Now I think that is crap advice as neither of those places offer decent backup service and their prices suck .
So help me find this lass a decent pc preferably with a company that will have a decent returns if faulty policy .
It needs to,
Be £400 or less
Have XP -- Home will do I recon (see below)
On-board graphics
Be able to run a Brail printer
Be able to run JAWS (talking software for the blind)
Have a dvd burner
4 but 6 usb ports would be better
HHD 120GB would be fine
Be pretty darn quiet
Be ultra reliable
Very low electric consumtion would be good
Ethernet card so it can connect to internet

I recon XP Home will do fine , but I'll check to see if a version of Vista is needed .

I was thinking something along the lines of a AM2 4800+ Brisbane for the cpu ,pretty fast , low energy , well priced .

Anyone have a hook up with a firm that might offer a discount to a blind person or can offer to help aproach firms .

We need a new printer aswell but I don't have a budget for that yet but it would obviously need to print Brail .

Balls in your court gang .

user.gif
nod.gif

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Would a laptop be ok if it met those requirements?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Would a laptop be ok if it met those requirements?

Hmm I don't know about that . It would be easier to trouble shoot and replace parts in a desktop . So I think ideas around a desktop would be best .

:)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
... Sticking my oar in again :p .. anyway, have you taken a look at the PC on offer on the RNIB website?
They are selling a PC which comes equipped with all the necessary software, and which works straight out of the box. I'm afraid it might be too pricey though, but might be worth a gander? :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
... Sticking my oar in again :p .. anyway, have you taken a look at the PC on offer on the RNIB website?
They are selling a PC which comes equipped with all the necessary software, and which works straight out of the box. I'm afraid it might be too pricey though, but might be worth a gander? :)

Ta fer link . Do you need glasses ?
laughingsmiley.gif

"The price for blind and partially sighted individuals is £851.25. This includes VAT at a reduced rate of 13.5 percent as it is supplied with accessibility software pre-installed. All other customers will be charged VAT at the standard rate of 17.5 percent giving a price of 881.25 inc VAT"

It might be worth a phone though as it has some software included .

nod.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Ta fer link . Do you need glasses ?

Yes, and I'm wearing them :p ... I did say they were pricey though, the PCs that is ... er, my glasses were too :rolleyes: :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I don't know whether anyone here has used this Bradford-based company, but CCL has some well-priced systems, a live-chat facility, Forum, etc., and a trade counter (for anyone who lives close enough.) Googling around, some of the comments and reviews appear to sound pretty positive.
user.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It might be worth a phone though as it has some software included.
Huh?

Easyreader can be bought separately, dunno if it's worth £200 :rolleyes: ... I ain't blind, yet.

CCL were one on my main suppliers, way back in the day when I ... :thumb:

Ask a Question