File sharing permissions / Network Accessibility -- strange problem

G

Hi, I am trying to set up a computer to act as a back up computer for other computers locally networked.

This computer "BACKUP" is running WinXP Pro and has simple file sharing disabled. I have created user accounts on this machine and different folders have been assigned to different users on this machine such that each user has a separate folder with his/her own username/password combination

When I try to access the computer though, I can already see the shared folders and am not prompted to a username/password as I am on a similar W2K system setup similarly. The main problem is that when I try to access a specific folder, I get

"\\backup is not accessible .... Access is denied." Instead of a logon prompt

However, if my current machine logon and password are the same as those for the shared folder, I can access the folder immediately. Somehow it's bypassing the prompt that requests a username and password normally. I know that I should be able to logon as a different user to the BACKUP computer, but I can't figure out how

As to the settings I used, I set the designated user to be the only listing under "permissions" and have that user and "administrators" listed under the Security tab

One other thing is that my laptop has WinXP and I can do user restricted file sharing just fine. Ie, I can logon from a different computer at which I am not logged into that other computer with my laptop username/password

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Ken

D

Dusko Savatovic

You should consider setting up domain and using domain accounts, this is
preferred method.
However, if my current machine logon and password are the same as those
for the shared folder, I can access the folder immediately.

This behaviour is by design.

Dusko Savatovic

G

I seem to have resolved the problem by logging out of my laptop then logging on again. Thanks.

Ask a Question