File missing/corrupt = \windows\system32\config\system

When I switch on my computer, a blank screen comes up with the message..

Windows could not start because the file is missing or corrupt

\windows\system32\config\syste

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original set up CD rom. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

The problem is, I dont have this CD rom because I wasnt provided with it. So what should I do?

Venkatesh [MCSD]

Hi there Totoro,

Corrupted or Missing \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#system32_config

HTH
Venkatesh [MS India Community Star]

Totoro said:
When I switch on my computer, a blank screen comes up with the message...

Windows could not start because the file is missing or corrupt:

\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the
original set up CD rom. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
The problem is, I dont have this CD rom because I wasnt provided with it.
So what should I do?

josh holtzman

I have the same problem though I have the CD but when I
boot from the CD windows setup comes up and then nothing
loads at the bottom. Any suggestions?

Corrupted or Missing \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#system32 _config

HTH
Venkatesh [MS India Community Star]

(e-mail address removed)...