Fax service problem win2003

Sean Godel

Hi Feng, thanks for your detailed response. As it turns
out, the problem in my case was caused by my changing
Everyone to Domain Users under Printers and Faxes for
the fax device. Ooops!

Feng said:
Hi Sean,

Actually, such problem can be caused by different cause. For example, the
permission to access the remote resource, the permission to access the
system files. Even the mismatched version of some dll files can cause such
issues.

Regarding your "Fax server information cannot be retrieved", the
C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxsres.dll file was a mismatched
version with the other fxs*files. The clients were fixed by replacing this
file with the correct version.

Check the version of any of the fxs*.dll files in the following folder on a
working and non-working client.
C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3 You can use Fxsui.dll as an
example.

Version 5.2.2581.0 is the Windows 2003 version.

Version 5.2.1776.x is the Windows XP version.

File Functional Machine
Non Functional Machine
FXSAPI 5.2.2581.0
5.2.2581.0
FXSDRV 0.3.2581.0
0.3.2581.0
FXSRES 5.2.2581.0
5.2.1776.1023
FXSTIFF 5.2.2581.0
5.2.2581.0
FXSUI 5.2.2581.0
5.2.2581.0
FXSWZRD 5.2.2581.0
5.2.2581.0

You may try the following to resolve the errors on the server:

1. Exported and deleted the following registry key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Wind
ows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3\Microsoft Shared Fax Driver]

2. Reinstalled the fax client software from the following location:
\\mpserver\faxclients\msfaxcln.msi
<file://\\mpserver\faxclients\msfaxcln.msi>

Other possible causes for the error: "Fax server information cannot be
retrieved. The Fax wizard will close now."

- The Shared Fax service is not started.
- The Telephony service is not started.
- The Country code is not configured. (Control Panel | Regional Options)
- Make sure the Country/Region option in the dialing rules matches the
Country code above. (Control Panel | Phone and Modem Options | Dialing
Rules tab)
- Mismatched files

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:04:10 -0700
| From: Sean Godel <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Fax service problem win2003
<zGa#[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.fax
|
| Hi Feng, do you know what the nature of this problem is?
| I noticed quite a few people reporting the same problem.
| My setup is similar to Andrea's but I am trying to get
| Domain Users to print to the fax server. I tried your
| suggestion below and I still get "Fax server information
| cannot be retrieved" when trying to fax via notepad.
|

| Feng Mao wrote:
|
| > Hi Andrea,
| >
| > For test propose, could you please create a new account named TEST on
the
| > workstation with the same password as TEST on CIMITER? Log off and log
on
| > TEST on the workstation. When you connect to the FAX with UNC name, you
| > should not be promoted for UserName and Password. Can you use remote
FAX
| > service at this moment?
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: AndreaB <[email protected]>
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.fax
| > | Subject: RE: Fax service problem win2003
| > | Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:48:07 +0200

ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.gi
| > ganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!news.moat.net!x-privat.org!not-for-mail
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | No I don't use terminal service.
| > | I just type the UNC name, then I give user and password (only the
first
| > | time I connect) and the fax console opens. In the bottom bar I see
"all
| > | fax printers are inaccessible". Double cliking opens status window
where
| > | I see the fax printer wiht a red X and "connection error".
| > | If I try to print i.e. from Word: the fax Wizard opens, cliking Next
| > | obtain an error message "Fax server information cannot be retrived.
the
| > | fax wizard will close now".
| > | After this error in the event viewer of the server i find this two
| > | entries:
| > |
| > | Event Type: Information
| > | Event Source: Print
| > | Event Category: None
| > | Event ID: 11
| > | Date: 25/08/2004
| > | Time: 11.39.58
| > | User: CIMITERI\Test
| > | Computer: CIMITERI
| > | Document 2, Microsoft Word - Documento1 owned by Test was paused on
Fax.
| > |
| > | Event Type: Information
| > | Event Source: Print
| > | Event Category: None
| > | Event ID: 13
| > | Date: 25/08/2004
| > | Time: 11.44.37
| > | User: CIMITERI\Test
| > | Computer: CIMITERI
| > | Document 2, Microsoft Word - Documento1 owned by Test was deleted on
| > | Fax.
| > |
| > | Using Test or Administrator account seems to make no difference....
| > |
| > | thank you!
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | In article <[email protected]>,
| > | (e-mail address removed) says...

Servcie
| > or
| > error

| > so
| > rights.

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s

ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!news-spur1.maxwell.syr.edu!news.maxwell.syr.edu!n
| > | > |
| > |

Feng Mao

Hi Sean,

Thank you for sharing your resolution with us.

Do not hesitate to post your questin to the newsgroup in the future.

> [...]

| > \\mpserver\faxclients\msfaxcln.msi
| > <file://\\mpserver\faxclients\msfaxcln.msi>
| >

| > Other possible causes for the error: "Fax server information cannot be
| > retrieved. The Fax wizard will close now."
| >
| > - The Shared Fax service is not started.
| > - The Telephony service is not started.
| > - The Country code is not configured. (Control Panel | Regional Options)
| > - Make sure the Country/Region option in the dialing rules matches the
| > Country code above. (Control Panel | Phone and Modem Options | Dialing
| > Rules tab)
| > - Mismatched files
| >
| > Have a nice day!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| > |
| > | Hi Feng, do you know what the nature of this problem is?
| > | I noticed quite a few people reporting the same problem.
| > | My setup is similar to Andrea's but I am trying to get
| > | Domain Users to print to the fax server. I tried your
| > | suggestion below and I still get "Fax server information
| > | cannot be retrieved" when trying to fax via notepad.
| > |
| > |
| > | Feng Mao wrote:
| > |

| > the
| > on
| > FAX

| > so
| > rights.

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s

ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.gi
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > first
| > "all
| > where
Next
| > the
| > | > |
| > Fax.
| > | > |
| > | > |
difference....
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > Servcie
| > please

| > newsreader

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s

ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!news-spur1.maxwell.syr.edu!news.maxwell.syr.edu!n
| > | > | > |
| > | > |

| > |

Hello Feng,
I have read this entire thread and have followed all your instructions. I
still am not able to fax from any XP-Home workstations.

I have just installed server 2003 and can fax from the server. I can also
fax from my XP-Pro workstation. However all the XP-Home workstations have the
errors that were mentioned in this thread.

I have replaced the fxsapi, fxsdrv, fxsres, fxstiff fxsui and fxwzrd files
on the XP-Home computer with the XP-Pro and it didn't work. I have checked
the registry on both the server and the workstations and they are as you
specified. I am stumped.

Any Ideas

Feng Mao said:
> [...]

| > \\mpserver\faxclients\msfaxcln.msi
| > <file://\\mpserver\faxclients\msfaxcln.msi>
| >

| > Other possible causes for the error: "Fax server information cannot be
| > retrieved. The Fax wizard will close now."
| >
| > - The Shared Fax service is not started.
| > - The Telephony service is not started.
| > - The Country code is not configured. (Control Panel | Regional Options)
| > - Make sure the Country/Region option in the dialing rules matches the
| > Country code above. (Control Panel | Phone and Modem Options | Dialing
| > Rules tab)
| > - Mismatched files
| >
| > Have a nice day!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| > |
| > | Hi Feng, do you know what the nature of this problem is?
| > | I noticed quite a few people reporting the same problem.
| > | My setup is similar to Andrea's but I am trying to get
| > | Domain Users to print to the fax server. I tried your
| > | suggestion below and I still get "Fax server information
| > | cannot be retrieved" when trying to fax via notepad.
| > |
| > |
| > | Feng Mao wrote:
| > |

| > the
| > on
| > FAX

| > so
| > rights.

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s

ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.gi
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > first
| > "all
| > where
Next
| > the
| > | > |
| > Fax.
| > | > |
| > | > |
difference....
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > Servcie
| > please

| > newsreader

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s

ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!news-spur1.maxwell.syr.edu!news.maxwell.syr.edu!n
| > | > | > |
| > | > |

| > |

Hi Brian, I have been suspecting this is a permissions problem as I can fax
from my workstation however no one eles can. If you can remember the
directory info let me know thanks.

Rob

Brian said:
I've had this problem before as well, it is a problem with
the permissions on a folder that the fax que sends its
files to.

I have fixed it before, but cannot remember the name or
location of this folder.