Favorites - move from a Win XP system to a Win Vista system

I have an older laptop running Windows XP. I have a long list of "Favorites"
on it.
I have a new laptop running Microsoft Vista.
I would like specific instructions ... method ... to copy or extract the
"Favorites" from the older system and place them on the newer system. So far,
I haven't been able to get any workable advice. Can anyone help me? DALE

Augustus

"Move "Favorites" to new system" <Move "Favorites" to new
I have an older laptop running Windows XP. I have a long list of
"Favorites"
on it.
I have a new laptop running Microsoft Vista.
I would like specific instructions ... method ... to copy or extract the
"Favorites" from the older system and place them on the newer system. So
far,
I haven't been able to get any workable advice. Can anyone help me? DALE

This isn't a really big deal.....zip them and email them to yourself, send
the faorties folder them over your home network top your new laptop, throw
them on a CD and import by simply copying to your new favorites folder on
the Vista machine. Probably the CD is the easiest method. That way you've
got a hard backup copy. There's lots of ways to do it.

Uncle Grumpy

Move "Favorites" to new system <Move "Favorites" to new
I have an older laptop running Windows XP. I have a long list of "Favorites"
on it.
I have a new laptop running Microsoft Vista.
I would like specific instructions ... method ... to copy or extract the
"Favorites" from the older system and place them on the newer system. So far,
I haven't been able to get any workable advice. Can anyone help me? DALE

Assuming IE (no matter the version) Look for an option (usually under
"File") to export them.

The export file will be an HTML file.

Import it into IE7

I cannot locate the "Favorites" folder and do not have a"Home network". I
still need "SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS" how to move the Favorites from the older
system i.e. copy them off ... perhaps onto my USB drive ... and then copy
them on. If I knew several methods, I'd have already done it. Help, please.
DALE

Rock

I have an older laptop running Windows XP. I have a long list of
"Favorites"
on it.
I have a new laptop running Microsoft Vista.
I would like specific instructions ... method ... to copy or extract the
"Favorites" from the older system and place them on the newer system. So
far,
I haven't been able to get any workable advice. Can anyone help me? DALE

Use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate data and settings from a Windows XP
installation to a Vista installation.

How to use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate files and settings from one
Windows-based computer to another Windows Vista-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928634/en-us

Note Vista questions should be asked in one of the Vista newsgroups. In
this case microsoft.public.windows.vista.general would have been the one to
use. Look under micrsoft.public.windows.vista or a list of all the Vista
newsgroups.

Elmo

Move said:
I have an older laptop running Windows XP. I have a long list of "Favorites"
on it.
I have a new laptop running Microsoft Vista.
I would like specific instructions ... method ... to copy or extract the
"Favorites" from the older system and place them on the newer system. So far,
I haven't been able to get any workable advice. Can anyone help me? DALE

After you export, email the html file, save it to flash drive, etc. till
you get to the new machine. You should be able to Import right from the
flash drive. But if you email it, save the file to the desktop and
import from there.

Dave Cohen

Uncle said:
Move "Favorites" to new system <Move "Favorites" to new

Assuming IE (no matter the version) Look for an option (usually under
"File") to export them.

The export file will be an HTML file.

Import it into IE7

I don't have Vista, don't want it and have no idea why anyone else
would, but I suppose one day it'll be shoved down my throat anyway with
a new machine.
However, I did read an article on vista and the only thing that sticks
in my memory is the great new updated search feature. So why not try a
search on the word 'favorites'. On winxp it's stuck somewhere in
documents and settings nested beneath a bunch of non-intuitive directory
names to discourage the timid. However, persistence will pay off and the
really determined will find it.
I've just returned from Staples, having picked up a Sandisk 1GB flash
drive for $15 to add to my collection. Highly recommend for anyone.
Dave Cohen

Rock

I don't have Vista, don't want it and have no idea why anyone else would,

I tested Vista in the TechBeta and have been running the RTM Ultimate
version since November in a multiboot configuration with XP on a nearly 5 yr
old system, certainly not state of the art hardware (P4 2.53 GHz, 1GB PC800
RAM, ATA drivers. It runs well and I like it.

There are many reasons to like it. Integrated search, graphics off loaded
to the GPU, significantly increased security, Ready Boost, Bitlocker,
improved support for Tablet PCs, reworked network stack, totally redone, two
way firewall, much better memory management, significant changes in group
policy capabilities, speech recognition is a real gem, very fast clean
install, Complete PC Backup, expanded Help and Support, improved power
options, capability to do system restore by booting the install DVD,
increased capability in disk management to shrink/expand partitions and
create new ones, ability to create expanded partitions using vssadmin,
network and sharing functions centralized in the Network and Sharing Center,
language packs for the Ultimate version, parental controls, Windows Photo
Gallery, significant improvement and expansion in the performance and
diagnostic tools, and some nice eye candy, to name some of the reasons.

XP feels dated by comparison.

That said I believe the decision to upgrade should be made after due
consideration and research. There should be a reason to upgrade, (of course
if you just want to have the latest, fine). Purchasing a new system is
certainly one good reason. I would not get XP on a new system. Also the
upgrade is not just a throw in your DVD and let it go thing. You need to
research it and prepare. As with any new OS there are hardware driver and
software compatibility issues.

Thanks for the info ... a major portion of my difficulty is that I am unable
.... to get internet explorer to at any time provide a "File" to click on to
get to "Export" ... hence I sought advice on XP I'll try the URL you provided
.... but I'm still stuck ... without an "easy transfer cable". I'll keep
trying . I do appreciate your assistance DALE

Rock

Thanks for the info ... a major portion of my difficulty is that I am
unable
... to get internet explorer to at any time provide a "File" to click on
get to "Export" ... hence I sought advice on XP I'll try the URL you
provided
... but I'm still stuck ... without an "easy transfer cable". I'll keep
trying . I do appreciate your assistance DALE

It's just a USB cable, and besides that is only one way to transfer data
with WET. Run WET from the Vista DVD from the XP desktop and save the data
to flash drive, external USB drive, CD/DVD or over a network. Then run WET
on the Vista installation and bring in the data.