Favorite Books!!

Reaction score
Matt Jason H said:
Not read any Grisham but I certainly agree with you on Catch 22 and Hichikers.

Catch 22 is great, I also enjoyed another book of his called Something Happened, which is also very dry.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
My favourite book is probably Jane Eyre (I'm such a girl), but I've just finished reading 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time' which is very different - well worth reading. I'm currently reading 'A Tale of Two Cities' which will probably become my favourite when I've finished it, but then I am rather fickle ;)

Reaction score
A Tale of Two Cities is a great book, some of the language is excelent "Blowing his brains out on coffee", good fun to read.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just finished 'Credo' by Melvyn Bragg, that was quite good, an interesting insight into Britain's history around 760 AD, although the story is just a work of fiction.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Famous Five? You sure :D

Hehe, I remember reading them in Primary School. Good grief, they still in print?

Sorry, I'm not taking the p**s, no, I'm not, really..... (stifles snigger)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Roger Red Hat was a quality book back in the day, also Billy Blue hat had its humour, you catch any of them chris?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, alright, me sorry, me being downright disrespectful here :D

Maybe I should go check out Enid Blyton again...

Only book that made any impact on me in primary school was The Lion The Witch & The Wardrobe, I loved that thing.

Reaction score
Actually, as it happens, i read the Famous 5 books when i was AT primary school. SO THERE!!

Roger red hat, he not a member of the alpahabet people?

Add the hungry caterpillar to my list as an all time favourite....;)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Chris

The Hungry Caterpillar is ace as is Elmer the Elephant. What about Letterland? I also did the Famous 5 and all the Enid Blyton books.

Now...escapisimg....light fiction and a bit of self enlightenment....Chicken Soup for the Soul et al....

Gabriella xx

Reaction score
Shakespeare: Complete Works -- Need I say more?
The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini) -- A timeless tale of friendship, love, betrayal and redemption. Very moving.
One Hundred Years of Solitude (Garcia Marquez) -- Very imaginative; it will leave you believing that the inhabitants of this book truly lived.
Will in the World (Stephen Greenblatt) -- A remarkable attempt to remove Will Shakespeare the dusty, lifeless pages of numerious biographies, to that of a man who once was a boy and grew up to help define our Western culture.
Landor's Imaginary Conversations (Walter Savage Landor) -- A series of books that bring together historical figures and has them engage in conversations that are not only entertaining, but insightful.
The Closing of the American Mind (Allan Bloom) -- A damning indictment on the lowering of standards in our schools of higher education.
The Master and Margarita (Mikhael Bulgakov) -- Truly wonderful. A must-read!
The Discovery of Heaven (Harry Mulisch) -- Before there was "The Divinci Code," there was "The Discovery of Heaven" (And a much better book, if you ask me!)
The Procedure (Harry Mulisch) -- The "Promethean Man" is at it again, only this time he's attempting to create a Golem using an ancient Cabalist text.
Paris in the Terror (Stanley Loomis) -- What really did happen before, during and after the French Revolution?

Mindless Reads:
Flashman Series (George McDonald Fraser)
The Raj Quartet (Paul Scott) -- History of India during the English colonization.
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (Steven R. Donaldson)
The New York Trilogy (Paul Auster)
Harvard Yard (William Martin)
On the Black Hill (Bruce Chatwin)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
That's a very impressive list... it looks like we have a lot to learn from you :)

Ask a Question