Fast Search Utility for Filenames

Key Bored

Hi All,

I'm looking for a super fast search utility that simply generates a list of
files based on filename and/or extension. Windows Explorer is painfully
slow. I don't want to search the actual content of the files. After the
list is generated, the utility should have the capability to copy, move, or
delete files.

Thanx,
Key Bored

Larry Sabo

Key Bored said:
Hi All,

I'm looking for a super fast search utility that simply generates a list of
files based on filename and/or extension. Windows Explorer is painfully
slow. I don't want to search the actual content of the files. After the
list is generated, the utility should have the capability to copy, move, or
delete files.

Thanx,
Key Bored

AVA Find is terrific, except that it is crippled after 30 days so that
it won't allow many of the manipulations the full version does. Still
very effective and lightning fast at locating files and executing
them.

http://www.think-less-do-more.com/avafind/

Larry

Hengist_Ludd

The cataloguer Cathy can delete files, but what you want sounds much like
the Alt-F7 search feature built into most Norton Commander clones. I
mainly use Total Commander (shareware) now, but File Wizard (freeware, DOS
but understands LFNs) also works very well, and I would expect the feature
to be built into the free version of Servant Salamander and also Free
Commander, but I haven't tried those.

bambam

Hi All,

I'm looking for a super fast search utility that simply generates a
list of files based on filename and/or extension. Windows Explorer is
painfully slow. I don't want to search the actual content of the
files. After the list is generated, the utility should have the
capability to copy, move, or delete files.

One of these should do the job-

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_FILEUTILITIES.php#3.10Search

I like "Find.zip", it is a small, no install, usb friendly app that is part
of the Powerdesk file manager-

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005FILEUTILITIES.php#0578-PW

John Corliss

Hengist_Ludd said:
The cataloguer Cathy can delete files, but what you want sounds much like
the Alt-F7 search feature built into most Norton Commander clones. I
mainly use Total Commander (shareware) now, (clipped)

Hey Hengis, I notice in your headers the following excerpts:

I notice that you include shareware in a lot of your posts. Have you
come here to promote shareware? If so, please don't. Shareware is *not*
freeware and is not on topic in this group.

Otherwise, you seem to come up with some pretty good stuff.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like "Chrissy Cruiser", for instance.

Vic Dura

Hey Hengis, I notice in your headers the following excerpts:

I notice that you include shareware in a lot of your posts. Have you
come here to promote shareware? If so, please don't. Shareware is *not*
freeware and is not on topic in this group.

Otherwise, you seem to come up with some pretty good stuff.

Yes, like the FREEWARE he was describing. Here is the entire post
including the FREEWARE parts that you snipped out.

Original Post
==========

The cataloguer Cathy can delete files, but what you want sounds much
like the Alt-F7 search feature built into most Norton Commander
clones. I mainly use Total Commander (shareware) now, but File Wizard
(freeware, DOS but understands LFNs) also works very well, and I would
expect the feature to be built into the free version of Servant
Salamander and also Free Commander, but I haven't tried those.

===========

Note the three references to FREEWARE. Did you clip those so you would
have a justification for criticizing the post? And you use the
information in his **message headers** as a further cause for
indictment???

Hengist: Mr. Corliss is NOT the authority here as to what posts are
acceptable. I thought your post was entirely appropriate and
informative and Mr. Corliss is entirely unreasonable in his criticism.

Bob Adkins

I'm looking for a super fast search utility that simply generates a list of
files based on filename and/or extension. Windows Explorer is painfully
slow. I don't want to search the actual content of the files. After the
list is generated, the utility should have the capability to copy, move, or
delete files.

Try Snowbird

http://www.geocities.com/casablanca2000in/msp/

Or,,, the free version of PowerDesk Explorer has a nice stand-alone search
tool.

I've tried them all, and nothing is more than a few milliseconds faster than
the Explorer's search function.

mthatcher1234

Key said:
Hi All,

I'm looking for a super fast search utility that simply generates a list of
files based on filename and/or extension. Windows Explorer is painfully
slow. I don't want to search the actual content of the files. After the
list is generated, the utility should have the capability to copy, move, or
delete files.

Thanx,
Key Bored

Have you tried the filesearch in A43 File Manager?
It has got a lot to reccomend it. Not leasst the fact that it does not
touch the registry.

mthatcher1234

Have you tried the filesearch in A43 File Manager?
It has got a lot to reccomend it. Not leasst the fact that it does not
touch the registry.

Sorry I meant TrackerV3

Frank Bohan

Key Bored said:
Hi All,

I'm looking for a super fast search utility that simply generates a list
of files based on filename and/or extension. Windows Explorer is
painfully slow. I don't want to search the actual content of the files.
After the list is generated, the utility should have the capability to
copy, move, or delete files.

Thanx,
Key Bored
Tracker V3. Go to View > Show InfoPanel > Find Files. Incredibly quick, and
has the functions you asked for.
http://www.trackerv3.com/download.htm

===

Frank Bohan
¶ If you want to make the jacket last, make the vest and pants first!

John Corliss

Vic said:
Yes, like the FREEWARE he was describing. Here is the entire post
including the FREEWARE parts that you snipped out.

Clipped *only* for brevity, Vic.
Original Post
==========

The cataloguer Cathy can delete files, but what you want sounds much
like the Alt-F7 search feature built into most Norton Commander
clones. I mainly use Total Commander (shareware) now, but File Wizard
(freeware, DOS but understands LFNs) also works very well, and I would
expect the feature to be built into the free version of Servant
Salamander and also Free Commander, but I haven't tried those.

===========

Note the three references to FREEWARE. Did you clip those so you would
have a justification for criticizing the post?

Not at all. I clipped them out because I only wanted to show the portion
that was relevant to my reply. There was no ulterior motive. Not only
that, but I *wasn't* criticizing the *entire* post:

"Otherwise, you seem to come up with some pretty good stuff."
And you use the
information in his **message headers** as a further cause for
indictment???

Calm down, Vic. You know as well as I do that shareware is off topic in
this newsgoup. I was pointing out that Hengist appears to be a shareware
advocate, and there's noting wrong with that. However, advocating
shareware in this group as Hengist has done in several previous messages
is not acceptable by the majority of this group. Or should we take
another poll?
Hengist: Mr. Corliss is NOT the authority here

And exactly where did I claim that I *was* "the authority" here?
as to what posts are
acceptable. I thought your post was entirely

Including the mention of shareware? You're way off base here, Vic.
appropriate and
informative and Mr. Corliss is entirely unreasonable in his criticism.

There is absolutely *nothing* unreasonable in pointing out that
shareware is off topic in the alt.comp.freeware newsgroup Vic and you
know it. I know that you know it because on October 28, 2003 (unless you
misquoted in your post) you tallied the results of Susan's poll and saw
that shareware is considered off topic here.

Here's a quote from *your* message:

Here are the averages of the 29 results. Best viewed with fixed-pitch
font.

Would someone be so good as to check my arithmetic.

-----------

Ad Beta CD Comm Cripp Demo Dona Free Lite
== == == == == == == == ==
2.3 3.5 2.5 1.8 2.2 1.6 4.3 5.0 4.6

-----------

Mal Nag Orph Reg Requ Shar Spy Trial Warez:

1.1 2.0 3.1 3.6 3.8 1.4 1.1 1.8 0.9

Note: "--" entries were not counted in average. Averages rounded to
nearest tenth.

1. off-topic - discuss only when a warning is needed
2. off-topic - brief mention sometimes okay (for comparison etc.)
3. ???-topic - sometimes okay to discuss
4. on-topic - usually okay to discuss
5. on-topic - always okay to discuss