Fans, should they keep running?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ouch, still way too HOT

Sorry TC, it was a shot ... leave Q-Fan disabled anyway.

Up to you if you wanna look under the bonnet, I know you are capable, just make sure you send Hubby off to the Men's Club first. ;)

Do unplug from the mains completely first. :thumb:

user.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Sorry Ady / V_R ... good job you disable it ... it don't work as intended.

I would still like TC to Disable Q-Fan in the BIOS ... I don't know if Asus have 'fixed' its 'problems' but you do need a 4pin fan to get it to work as intended. Then I would still disable the bloody thing, yeah, call me ald school, I don't care. :p

What is it about PC manufacturers & Laptop settings ???? :rolleyes:

We are still looking at the posibility that TC will need to return the PC and get someone to 'fix' those temps. :(

user.gif
I agree totally Mucks - I've never used Q-fan - a total waste of time :thumb:

As we have all agreed, those temps are seriously wrong - apart from trying a HS re-seat first, it has to go back :(

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yes Mucks, I agree, really silly temperatures. I've been monitoring them whenever the PC is switched on and to be honest, I spent quite a lot of time on the ASUS and AMD websites respectively. There were some FAQs on ASUS which were advocating the installation of the PC Probe II utility, so I have downloaded it - surprise, surprise, the temps tallied exactly with CoreTemp. Interesting though. And from PC Probe, I am able to see loads of "useful information" which might come in handy if I need to provide it. (It's all in one place and quick and easy to get at :nod:) It's possible (as you will no doubt be aware) to alter settings from there too - but naturally I have no plans to do that without knowing what's what ;)

I am really undecided here... I feel like looking inside just to rule out anything really obvious - assuming that I would be able to spot it :rolleyes: but on the other hand... wonder whether I should wait until Monday to see whether the Vendor responds. However, it is miffing me to be losing out on so much crunching time, to say nothing of other fairly ordinary tasks which seem to also make the temps soar..... dilemmas, dilemmas :(

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Aarrgh! Sorry - I tried to delete the second message - had a mishap and it posted twice couldn't get it to go away though :lol:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Aarrgh! Sorry - I tried to delete the second message - had a mishap and it posted twice couldn't get it to go away though
laughingsmiley.gif
I can ... ;)

There ain't much you can do ... yes, we would, I think, all like to see inside your PC ... get the camera ready ... you will see if anything has obviously fallen off. :D

Having said that, I wont twist your arm, some PC suppliers absolutely frown on you opening up their PCs ... I think they forget they sold it to you, so it ain't theirs any longer, but, they are still responsible for any failures. :thumb:

Must Try and find this PC-Probe thingie ... they don't seem to have one 'compatable' for my system. :rolleyes:

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
:D Heh heh heh.... cunning TC that I am, I had rather planned on having the camera to hand - just to be able to share what's what, you understand ;)

They had a really long list of Probes on site - but Ady mentioned a link which was helpful - thank you Ady if you are reading this :wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Mucks - I just wondered whether you had seen this part of the ASUS website? Wondered whether there is a compatable Probe for your system?

muckshifter

Reaction score
ouch

Taffycat said:
Mucks - I just wondered whether you had seen this part of the ASUS website? Wondered whether there is a compatible Probe for your system?
err, yes, I had seen it ... I dismissed it looking for my MB ... looks as though, on that page, it don't matter what MB you have, as long as it's Asus. :blush:

So, I gave the ProbeII a go and ... oops, KIS and Windows Defender are throwing their rattles out of their prams ... they are both screaming at me. :rolleyes:

I don't think much of this Vista 'compatible' software crap ... :wall:

Oh well, nevermind, I get along fine without it ... :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Aww shame :( I think you'd have liked it. I made sure I got the exact one for my MB and W.Defender stayed in it's basket happily snoozing :p ....it probably sensed that it was safer staying in there!! :lol:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I may, maybe not, but I'm not surprised to see it happen ... Asus do not fair well with me when it comes to their err, software. ;)

I'm a glutton for trying anything once ... I have the CDs to re-install. :lol:

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I seem to remember from when I had asus Probe installed that you could LOG the events that were occuring . I may be wrong buts its worth checking out as youd have the evidence on hand when you conntacted the vendor .
nod.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
You are correct AB - but I noticed that at one point, when the temp (literally in a matter of seconds) soared to 86C, before falling again rapidly when the offending programme was stopped, the log's highest figure showed only 64C. Whether this is because the log is "logging" a few seconds after the event, I'm not certain, but there was certainly a discrepancy.

It's great that every little piece of equipment within the "gubbins" of the case is also listed (I know these details can be brought up in other ways, but it's jolly handy).... and that's another thing - no manufacturer's name is given for the RAM which is supposed to be Corsair on the original spec. I find that a tad curious, because some of the other 'named' components show up (ASUS, Zalman, etc.) Wouldn't Corsair be recognised too?

The deeper I dig, the more I feel that I should explore the set-up inside:nod:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just to bring you up to date and also out of fairness to the vendor.... I popped back to their website just now, to see whether I had missed anything, before taking the plunge and peeping inside the box. Hmmm... I discovered that I had made the error of sending my Friday email from the wrong area of their website :rolleyes: They have a little box in the right-hand column, which I'd missed. From there, you can send mail directly to various departments, including their Technical people. Ho-hum

I have just sent a new mail - setting out the heating problems, (and apologising for my error) which should now go directly to the correct people. I have asked them if I might be allowed to check the HSF seating, and whether they have any other suggestions to make (hope they keep them polite ;) ) before having to send it back. Fingers crossed that they will be willing to let me look - it might save a bit of time if something is just a bit loose:nod:

......Come to think of it though, if I couldn't find a bloomin' e-mail link, they'll probably faint at the idea of letting me do anything more 'technical' :lol:

muckshifter

Reaction score
We need bigger eyesight ... or text. :D

They probably may still not have caught your email in time on Friday anyway ... still not much you can do till the 'working' week restarts.

:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Muckshifter said:
We need bigger eyesight ... or text.
biggrin.gif

So true Mucks
laughingsmiley.gif

Muckshifter said:
They probably may still not have caught your email in time on Friday anyway ... still not much you can do till the 'working' week restarts.

Yes, and they make it plain on their website that they don't work weekends or holidays, which is fair enough
nod.gif
In a way, I can't help hoping that they will let me look, because I'm feeling all psyched-up for it now
laughingsmiley.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I've got Crucial memory and it shows up as Micron Tech in Everest so you may not have a problem but its worth cheng out .
You might find this a very useful recording tool , dead asy to st up and you can captue as much of the sceen as you like a set it to record at intervals , very useful . I think i got it from a post on here .

http://www.camstudio.org/

user.gif

You could e-mail the recorded .avi file to your builder and say " ain't these temps a bit high matey " or something like that .

happywave.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for the info AB, and the link,:thumb: it looks like an interesting programme. :nod:

Actually, when I looked at the list of loaded hardware on the new PC, the RAM came up showing no name whatsoever. There was just a blank space where the name would normally be - it was the same in PC Probe and also "msinfo32.exe" so it must be "the RAM with no name" (sorry, bad pun ;) )

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
with all these problems... wouldnt it be best just to get a new heat sink? Like a fancy pants one? :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The one she has is more than adequate for her set-up - I think it could be more down to the seating than anything else.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
(Groan).... All these puns -_-
I have used the Asus Probe II before, its kinda nice being able to moniter you temps all the time

Ask a Question