Fan

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
So maybe a small bit of success, it turned on with green lights for about 10 seconds, the fan started off quiet but then very quickly got louder and louder and louder until the red lights came back on and it shut down.

If it was a PC, which it pretty much is then either a sensor is failing or the CPU is F****ed!.

Reaction score
Oh that is a shame did the guide help you?

Did you distinguish it as a over heating problem?

The dreaded question is.....How comes you didn't send this off to MS?

Reaction score
Did you lap it properly?

Looks like something is working - did you get any display at all?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah it got a display for about 10 seconds, every time i turn it on it works for 10 seconds before getting 2 red lights and shutting down, am taking it apart now to check i didn't mess it up.

The guy who i got it from had already taken the warranty sticker off it as he was going toi repair it but bottled it.

Reaction score
Oh right looks like you should be able to resolve this I say you go on to xbox scene website and research or ask on that site :_)

That is one of the best websites for these sort of agendas.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Have you a link mate???

Nearly have it apart, just wanna check i haven't mashed a sensor or anything.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
RS do a 50mm Pabst fan, bit pricey though at £13.25 plus VAT

Link

Edit: Oops, I only read the first page of this thread.

That Youtube video is ok to be here imo, I mean, it exists, it's accessible on Youtube and I don't think the forum will get into any trouble for showing a link to it. If anything, Youtube may be asked to remove it and/or get into trouble over it.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Okay guys it works, sort of, if i have the top of and the fans instead of exhausting air are blowing directly onto the heatsink of the cpu then it works.

Will get some pics up in a minute just resizing them.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Here we go,

Pic 1: Dismantled Xbox 360 in me living room,

Pic 2: Xbox 360 Motherboard.

Pic 3: Yay it works with the rear fans positioned on top of the CPU Heatsink.

Pic 4: Yay it works with the fans in the right place and the lid on, oh wait, what? WHAT? WWWWHAAAAATTT??? Thats right i can't hear you, my Xbox sounds like a 747 taxi-ing outside my apartment.

Gonna employ some uber geeks via the web to help me sort it.

Attachments

• Xbox 1.jpg
    Xbox 1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Xbox2.jpg
    Xbox2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Xbox 3.jpg
    Xbox 3.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Xbox 4.jpg
    Xbox 4.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 92
Reaction score
ok

When u power it up you have to allow the solder to reflow. To do this follow these instructions

Take xbox apart

Remove dvd drive

disconnect the rear fans

switch on

it should boot normally for a while then go 3 red

leave it on it will heat up and go 2 red leave it on a while longer

if you tighten the screww a little more to take up slack as solder has softened ( NOT TOO MUCH)

after about 10mins switch off and allow to cool. Maybe about an hour or so!

Reconnect fans and switch on. If it goes RROD you may have to start all over again. Its an issue i have with mine that is why I have tried to sort the problem out with extra fans. I'm now thinking of doin a PC case mod cos the case its in is a waste of time and does not allow for cooling. As I said MS knew this before it was even released. They sold hundreds of thousands of em

As you have realised leaving the case off makes all the difference and allows for enough airflow. Complete nightmare. The main culpit is the GPU not the CPU but no harm in cooling them both at same time

There is a case available by Lian Li but its quite expensive £75 but might be well worth the cash. However buying a cheap case if your patient enough making your own cable extensions will work out a whole lot cheaper

http://www.xcase.co.uk/p/552632/lianli-pc-xb01---xbox-case-for-recasing-your-xbox-console-.html

Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back, i must be really unlucky as its definetly the CPU thats over heating, it will get that hot that it will burn me, is really weird as soon as i put a game in ihe fan goes nuts, take a game out and it will slow down.

To be honest i have spent;

£4.99 on a Torx kit from Wickes,
£1.89 on some washers from Homebase.

I already had thermal paste and some bolts. So for less than £7 i have an Xbox 360 that sort off works, i already have a PS3 and sold my own 360 about 14 months ago so ain't that bothered.

However i went to the Xbox-scene website and have seen some really great mods to do with watercooling, i got some stuff for my PC and was gonna watercool that but have been sooo busy at work, plus this took up most of my day.

Anyway, i have a 12cm Radiator+ fan spare and a XSPC chipset block thaty isn't going in the PC, so all i need to do is buy a reservoir/pump and i could water cool it. :lol:.

Have seen a 5.25" Reservoir and pump from XSPC for about £20, so i'm thinking i could spray both the reservoir and radiator white and mount them on top of the case, should be easy enough, velcro for the reservoir and bolt the radiator through the top of the case, then run the tubing through the back either side of the fans.

Have read about which kind of water blocks people have had success with and to cool the GPU will cost another £22 so realistically i could watercool it for £50.

Will research it a bit more as to be honest it will be more of a project than something i will actually use, if i make it work and it doesn't look too poo then i will sell it on here or maybe if i get any parts donations give it away on here for Xmas to the most skint and deserving.

So if anyone has any water-cooling bits they wish to donate then please drop me a line.

Reaction score
Good news you said it is very loud?

On IDLE it shouldn't be that loud but with a disk in it will the new xbox live experience lets you back up games to the hard drive.

Anyway here is the site I was on about so much information and good tutorials:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/

Ask a Question